News: The Cat who liked water...

Hi !

A friend of mine directed me to this thread and I found it very (!!!) interesting.

During the WWII one of my uncles escaped from occupied norway to England and ended up flying as a navigator on one of the PBY Catalinas. This was the 333 (N) squadron which was a norwegian squadron operating out of Woodhaven in Scotland. Their primary mission was patroling for german submarines, intelligence gathering, attacking german naval vessels and disebarcation of allied spies in occupied Norway.

After the war these Catalinas were use for bringing medical personell and carry post to the different arctic outposts.

Here are some pics from the Catalina which I got from my uncle:

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

cat3.jpg

cat4.jpg

cat5.jpg

cat6.jpg

cat7.jpg

cat8.jpg

I would love to see some of the Norwegian Squadron liveries in this finished model !! (please... please... pleasee...) :D

Here is a page which presents the history of the Norwegian Catalinas and drawings of their liveries.

http://home.online.no/~vingtor/Catalina/Ca...na-feature.html

If you have any questions please send me a mail: sulebust@online.no

Best regards

Bernt Sulebust

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aerosoft
Hi Mathjis

First of all congratulations to nice flightsim model of the Catalina.

Just some details I noticed:

1. The left propeller is shaped like it would rotate counter-clockwise (looking from aft). This would be wrong as the Catalina didn't have engines with opposite turning direction (like the P-38 for example).

Both engines should rotate clockwise.

Microsoft did a similar mistake with their DC-3. There the left propeller is as well incorrectly shaped.

2. The labels of "Hamilton Standard" on the propellerblades were never attached on the aft side of the blades. They were only placed on the side which is visible when looking from the front.

Apart from this the model looks extremely accurate.

Bets regards

Thomas

Aha, great info, keep it coming and I'll sure add you to the beta!

• Aerosoft
Hi !

A friend of mine directed me to this thread and I found it very (!!!) interesting.

I would love to see some of the Norwegian Squadron liveries in this finished model !! (please... please... pleasee...) :D

Here is a page which presents the history of the Norwegian Catalinas and drawings of their liveries.

http://home.online.no/~vingtor/Catalina/Ca...na-feature.html

If you have any questions please send me a mail: sulebust@online.no

Best regards

Bernt Sulebust

What a nice set of images, thanks for sharing it! And we'll sure keep your request in mind.

For what it's worth, I too would love to see some bases, whether they be in the Pacific or Europe or both??

Single AI taking off for reconnaissance(day and night), Multiple AI taking off on sorties.

Maybe a downed plane with the crew in dingys waiting to be rescued? And a dingy of course that could be piloted to rescue downed crew (mentioned earlier I think).

Anyhow, she's looking great!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft

No, still working on the base model and interior. All the aothers will be spun of that one.

Some in progress shots of the VC... As the whole panel is VERY 3d in reality with many parts sticking forward we are playing with the idea of spending all our time on the VC and forget about 2d panels.

That should create an interesting debate, but to add my "2 cents", I never fly with the 2D pit anymore.

That's right, who needs a 2d panel when you have a fully operating 3d cockpit? :D

As a die-hard TrackIR user, I cast my vote for VC only as well. The VC would need to be fully functional of course and gauge refresh rate is important.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this one!

-dave

I use 2D only when practising instrument procedures, I prefer flying VC's when it comes to just having fun. I vote for a VC only pby. I also agree with Monsieur Dumas, pop ups would be handy. And I still hope very much you create a nice virtual cabin as well, I would love to travel through all the compartements to end up in the rear at the bubble windows. This VC does look good to my opinion btw! And with regards to my earlier post, I think just one (V)C would suffice, if you need a more modern set of instruments, you can easily change yourself, something I didn't know. Thanks for letting us give our input, that's something I haven't seen before.

pby5a

I do use the 2d view but only so that I can see straightforward without anything blocking the view so I can take pics of the terrain for example. (w key methinks) hehe so for me personally...I don't need it either. :)

How does it actually works? When you load the plane, and you don't have a 2d panel, is the first screen you see the 2d view without panel or is it possible to load the plane and go directly to 3d?

Hi,

I'd prefer the same as Kofi with pop-ups.

Vin;

A recent MiG-29 was delivered with VC only and in the 2D view you see a few select gauges and the HUD only. And that one is selling very well indeed :!:

Best

Hi !

Just remember that not everyone has the equipment to handle VC very well or use of several monitor favors in some cases use of 2d. So maintaining both a VC and a 2d will give the users a broader range of options and probably give you a broader cutomer-base as well.

... and not any "negatives" in any reviews for missing a 2d cockpit.

Those who do not want to use 2D dont need too..

Regards

Bernt