GA Armed

jrotaetxe

• Deputy Sheriffs

I am a little bit ashamed to question this, but I have not a clear idea about when is "armed" the GA mode.

I know it is triggered when you push the THR to the proper detent, but in order to fly the proggramed GA fix (in blue in the FP), you should have fulfil some phase.

In other words, pushing the THR does not activate the GA NAV solely. There is another condition, and I do not know which is.

Guess is "being under MDA/DH" but not sure.

Regards

You must not be ashamed. I am very shure, that most of the people dont know how to fly a correct GA with an Airbus.

Anyway, thats the way you should do it: TL to TOGA, rotate to 15 degrees of pitch while calling for flaps to three, positive rate gear comes up, at acceleration altitude, select desired speed, engage A/THR by moving the TL's to the CL detent and activating A/THR, retract flaps on schedule.

In a go-around with FDs 'OFF', the trick is to nail the pitch attitude, reduce flap by one config, get the gear up, do nothing until acceleration altitude. At acceleration altitude, leave thrust at TOGA until you have selected or you have confirmed that the aircraft is scheduling a suitable speed, ie better than green dot. Then you can bring the PLs back to climb, engage FDs and AP and ask F/A for another coffee :)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Perfect, Max, thank you for the response.

But, if you let me abuse your patiente a little bit (more), let me describe the situation.

As you know, I am a lazy pilot, and I normally fly my complete app in NAV managed mode. While in finals, swith to LOC and then to APP mode.

In this situatione (GS and LOC captured, and beggining descent to land), I receive a nice invitation from the ATC to Go Around.

Which is the sequence?

Is the blue part of the FP automatically activated once I select TO/GA detent in the TL?

What happens with the PNF? Is she going to take care of the Flaps?

Think all this will not work if the "GA altitude set" of the landing checklist is not already done. Is this assumption true?

An the best one. What if ATC invites you to make a GA prior to have passed the landing checklist... Fly manual? Can you "activate" thr blue FP?

Thank you again

Archived