i5 versus i7 and graphics card choice..

I accept that the 670 may be fine but would it be significantly better than the GTX280 1GB that I already have such that it would be justified in paying out for the upgrade?

DW

Remember that FSX want's your CPU power more than your GPU juice :-) but the 670 is more than enough for FSX

Thanks for the link cgentil, There is no doubt that the 670 is a better card than the 280 but FSX is a unique piece of software that does not follow normal rules that say better GPU = better performance. I do not play other games on the pc so the only thing of concern is whether the 670 will warrant the cost with regard to FSX over the 280 and I don't think the article to which you refer addresses this which is why I have asked the question on this forum, do you have a view?

DW

yes around 10 to 15 % not more... no need to

Same in mine.

Yesterday I was coming to Heathrow, with UTX, GTX, AS2012, IVAP and AXE, with UK2000 Heathrow at night, and i've a really drop FPS to 12 - 15.

Thanks for the link cgentil, There is no doubt that the 670 is a better card than the 280 but FSX is a unique piece of software that does not follow normal rules that say better GPU = better performance. I do not play other games on the pc so the only thing of concern is whether the 670 will warrant the cost with regard to FSX over the 280 and I don't think the article to which you refer addresses this which is why I have asked the question on this forum, do you have a view?

DW

Yes. In this case, I believe you can continue with GTX280, but I'm don't have certainly, someone will clarify you.

Thanks cgentil,

your view is very appreciated and it is probably my fault for not being specific enough in the question I asked to start with.

I think that as I have to purchase a new W7 licence I will go for the 4.6ghz i5 and keep the 280 for the time being and see how it goes.

I really do thank all people who have taken the time to give their views on this post - I am relatively new to the more advanced aircraft on FSX but it really has been a rewarding time - Aerosoft have a lot to answer for!! :)

DW

Thanks cgentil,

your view is very appreciated and it is probably my fault for not being specific enough in the question I asked to start with.

I think that as I have to purchase a new W7 licence I will go for the 4.6ghz i5 and keep the 280 for the time being and see how it goes.

I really do thank all people who have taken the time to give their views on this post - I am relatively new to the more advanced aircraft on FSX but it really has been a rewarding time - Aerosoft have a lot to answer for!! :)

DW

You're welcome.

Archived