Thoughts on a good motherboard

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer and one of the things that is up for replacement is the motherboard. How important is it to have a good motherboard?

For now my eyes are on the Asus P8H61 Pro. I've chosen this one because on one side it's cheap and on the other side it does offer everything I need. Or doesn't it? Maybe anyone over here has a better suggestion?

Reason I chose the Pro is that the regular offers only three Sata ports and doesn't support Sata III (only Sata II). I got four harddisks in total of wich two support Sata III. The pro version offers six Sata ports of wich two support Sata III. It also offers USB 3.0 support, wich the regular version doesn't. This might come in handy sometimes, altough I don't really need it.

My thought is that more expensive motherboards offer more options. For example they got Raid support (the P8H61 Pro doesn't). Also some motherboards offer Firewire. But those more options also use more system resources and since I don't use them they'd better not be there. And if it isn't for the system resources, then at least it's for the money. At least, that's the way I think of it.

Does anyone have other thoughts? Reasons why the motherboard I've chosen is or is not a good choice? Maybe a suggestion for an alternative?

Archived