MCDU brightness in checklists and aircraft states

Adrijan

I was wondering, why aren't the MCDUs set all the way to dark when you select cold & dark state (though they are dark because there is no power to light them up) and there's no mention of this in step by step checklists.

Some more things regarding the MCDU brightness (though not related to right MCDU/checklist)

1. you have to press the right MCDU dim switch way more times than the left one to get it fully dark.

2. sometimes, on the left MCDU some pixels are way more lighter than others when it's not fully BRT

3. why isn't there a dimmer for other screens (PFD, ND, ECAM 1 & 2) but only full dark and full bright position? Mathijs said it's because for the MCDUs, they only had to change the color of the letters, but then, for other screens you only have to change colors of the textures? :) Can someone explain this a little more.

Thanks, Adrijan.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, Mathijs.

1. Oh, both MCDUs definitely can be dimmed and lit up, just right one takes way more clicks than the other one

2. Alright, I uploaded an image, showing first few stages of brightness (the ones that are actually causing the 'problem', the other ones work really good and get it smooth to fully bright).

fsx2013-01-1619-41-07-88_zps7498130d.png

(sorry for the 'bad' paint skills :P)

The problem was especially noticed in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th stage, the screenshot might not show it credible, so please check it out in the simulator. Thanks. Also you notice how it has a weird scary red tint until 5th stage.

3. Does that mean that you could implement this in the service pack :bow_down2_s:? Not a big thing anyway, though, just an eye candy.

And also, sorry for bothering but you didn't answer the main question (before the 1., 2.... list)

• Deputy Sheriffs

I was wondering, why aren't the MCDUs set all the way to dark when you select cold & dark state (though they are dark because there is no power to light them up) and there's no mention of this in step by step checklists.

Hi Adrijan,

sorry I do not get your question because you already gave the answer yourself: "They are dark because there is no power to light them up". I think this is logic? And in the Vol6 StepbyStep guide chapter 5.1 it is clearly described as follows:

After setting the aircraft to “DARK COLD” also the screen for the MCDU 2 is dark (because of no power). To power the plane up (as well as the MCDU 2 screen):

• Overhead Panel [F12] switch both batteries to ON section 4 (chapter 2.2)
  • Overhead Panel [F12] switch External Power to ON section 6 (chapter 2.2)

So what is your suggestion? To add that this is valid not only for the MCDU 2 but also for the MCDU 1?

Hanse

Hi Adrijan,

sorry I do not get your question because you already gave the answer yourself: "They are dark because there is no power to light them up". I think this is logic? And in the Vol6 StepbyStep guide chapter 5.1 it is clearly described as follows:

After setting the aircraft to “DARK COLD” also the screen for the MCDU 2 is dark (because of no power). To power the plane up (as well as the MCDU 2 screen):

• Overhead Panel [F12] switch both batteries to ON section 4 (chapter 2.2)
  • Overhead Panel [F12] switch External Power to ON section 6 (chapter 2.2)

So what is your suggestion? To add that this is valid not only for the MCDU 2 but also for the MCDU 1?

Hanse

Uhm, excuse me, apparently there was a misunderstanding.

When you switch on the batteries, PDF, ND, upper and lower ECAM is dark, but not MCDU (while it should be).

I wasn't referring to the Step by step guide, it was completely correct in this part.

I'll have it on the list!

Thanks a lot!

Archived