Bronco popup GPS & Autopilot mod

obie311

If you're needing a Popup window autopilot and GPS to make a long flight more tolerable, here's one I cobbled together.

First and foremost, BACK UP your panel.cfg file. I usually use orig_panel.cfg so I can easily re-establish it if I don't like the mod.

Go into said panel.cfg for a given aircraft and add the following boldface lines:

NOTE: (I have standardised my Window shortcuts so there is no variation from aircraft to aircraft so your actual window numbers may vary from mine)

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main

Window01=Radio Panel

Window02=Checklist

Window03=GPS

Window04=Autopilot

Window05=Shadin Fuel Calculator

Window06=

Window07=Selector

Window08=Elec_debug

//---------------------------------------------------------

[Window03]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=456,378

window_pos= 0, .62

window_size= 0.200, 0.380

window_size_ratio=1.000

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

Type=SPECIAL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0,456,378

gauge01=..\..\Maule_M7_260C\panel\Maule_M7_260C!switch_nav_gps, 0,220,30,35

//--------------------------------------------------------

[Window04]

size_mm=456, 15

window_pos=0,.537

window_size=.20, .082

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

visible=0

ident=Autopilot Advanced

Type=SPECIAL

gauge00=B737_800!autopilot, 0,0,456,15

If you don't want the GPS and Autopilot visible when you change views just delete the "Type=SPECIAL" for both entries.

CAVEAT: Make sure you have a copy of the B737_800.cab and the Maule_M7_260C.cab files in your FSX GAUGES folder. I have tweaked the default so much I can't remember if these files were installed in GAUGES initially or with their respective aircraft.

Also for the Bronco take note that although you can dial in a heading and course into the autopilot, I'm not sure that it is actually tracking the VORTAC radial since there is no OBS.

I know it's possible to combine the two gauges together in one popup window rather than two as I have done it with the simpler King A/P. I just didn't didn't have the necessary skills to make it work for these two gauges. If you can successfully do it, I would appreciate you posting the correct entries.

That's pretty much it. I hope you find it useful for these wonderfully rendered unusual birds.

Best Regards,

Obie

financially grounded aviator

post-67881-0-26662900-1357930063_thumb.j

Nice one Obie!

I confirm that neither the B737_800 .cab nor the Maule_Mt_269c.cab are included by default in the FSX Gauges - you find them in the respective aircraft files under the Panel folder. You can either drop copies into the main Gauges folder, or you can drop them into the panel folder for the Bronco version you are adding the GPS and A/P to.

I suspect you might be better off in the Gauges folder!

"I suspect you might be better off in the Gauges folder!"

Thanks for the update Snave. I couldn't agree more. Yes I personally think the GAUGES folder is the best place for them as it would not only save multiple copying into the many OV10 variant panel folders, it would be available for any aircraft to use. I definitely use this with Piglet's PC-7 and F-5A. I'm sure it would be helpful for many more autopilot-less aircraft.

Best,

Obie

It also offsets the pratitude of those who fail to heed the warnings about removing default aircraft, then come whining when they have holes where instruments should be!

I'll be having a look at this myself this evening as Accufeel 2.0 has given fresh new life to the Catalina X, but even A2A can't make it more than a 90-knot airplane so I need something that can get me to various `splash` around the Caribbean sites a bit quicker than a bicycle with a head wind. How many Cat pilots died of old age while flying, I wonder..?

The one thing the Bronco is really good at is a relatively high speed cruise AND and bloody impressive view out the window! There aren't many aircraft that can combine that with the ability to STOL and climb like a monkey with a rocket up its chuff. :glare_s:

Load it up with fuel and the only thing holding you back is the need for an a/p that will do a bi more than the `stick between the knees` equivalent that you can switch on by default. :bow_down2_s:

I don't think it out of the realm of probability that Calfire, NASA, and BLM Broncos would have autopilots for ferry flights. I would imagine that when handflying from from Pax River to Edwards or Redding to Hemet-Ryan, an A/P would come in quite handy.

Obie

I need something that can get me to various `splash` around the Caribbean sites a bit quicker than a bicycle with a head wind.

Maybe this would be the ticket for your Caribbean adventures?

post-67881-0-74980200-1357945492.jpg

Archived