Flows - Hope you all enjoy it!

Eisa Godoussey

Hi everybody,

Today I took some time and customized a document to which I believe all of you will benefit from. It outlines all the flows from start to finish of an Airbus flight. I have included details for realism that are simulated by the Airbus X Extended, and you will find that it is a much more methodical and logical set of flows than the ones found on the Step by Step documentation. It works in the rudiment of steps to be followed by checklist. No need to go through paragraphs upon paragraphs to get a flight going. Although I do certainly recommend the read for personal knowledge.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Airbus 320&321 Flows.pdf

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the feedback - I have already updated the file to be more efficient and flow through. Certain flows were out of order and it must be because I was up till 3AM working on them ... haha - must love airbus that much eh?

Anyway guys, be sure to download the attachment on the original post NOW, as it's the new one.

As always, any feedback is appreciated and if you guys like what's been done I'd love to create more of such products for you.

All the best!

E

Download link :

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=35208

Hi Eisa,

great stuff and very helpful!

While studying the flows I found a few small things you may want to look at for future versions - nothing big....

COCKPIT PREPARATION FLOWS: Overhead Panel - 4. ELEC HYDR PUMP .. ON

You are talking about the YELLOW ELEC PUMP switch on the right of the HYD panel, right?

If it is turned on as part of the PREP FLOW it should eventually been turned off again as it will not be needed after ENG 2 Start.

There is no flow item for that and the switch stays lighted in AXE until right-clicked.

As far as I know real life use of this switch during PREP is for pressurizing the brakes (Accumulator pressure being low). The pilot would check with the ground staff if pressurizing is permitted, turn off the PTU switch to decouple GREEN and turn the pump on to pressurize YELLOW. Once the acumulator is recharged YELLOW ELEC PUMP can be turned off and PTU set back to AUTO (no light). The Accu will keep the brakes pressurized for quite some time.

In AXE/FSX you don't have/need Accumulator charging, the PB will work in any case.

BEFORE TAKE OFF FLOWS: ECAM - 1. BRAKE TEMP ... CHECK >150

That may not be clear to everyone.

Here is what I know:

Brake temperature is shown on ECAM WHEELS page. An arc will appear above the hottest brake temp.

If brake temp is above 300° C then the temp will show as amber. The brakes must be cooled below 300° C before takeoff and if needed the pilot must manually select the brake fans on.

Now I think the 150 is connected to the AXE virtual copilot logic. If temp is greater than 150 deg the vco turns on the brake fans. If the temp is > 150 then the brake fans should not be turned off as instructed in the next step of your flow.

Cheers

Kosta

Hi Eisa,

great stuff and very helpful!

While studying the flows I found a few small things you may want to look at for future versions - nothing big....

COCKPIT PREPARATION FLOWS: Overhead Panel - 4. ELEC HYDR PUMP .. ON

You are talking about the YELLOW ELEC PUMP switch on the right of the HYD panel, right?

If it is turned on as part of the PREP FLOW it should eventually been turned off again as it will not be needed after ENG 2 Start.

There is no flow item for that and the switch stays lighted in AXE until right-clicked.

As far as I know real life use of this switch during PREP is for pressurizing the brakes (Accumulator pressure being low). The pilot would check with the ground staff if pressurizing is permitted, turn off the PTU switch to decouple GREEN and turn the pump on to pressurize YELLOW. Once the acumulator is recharged YELLOW ELEC PUMP can be turned off and PTU set back to AUTO (no light). The Accu will keep the brakes pressurized for quite some time.

In AXE/FSX you don't have/need Accumulator charging, the PB will work in any case.

BEFORE TAKE OFF FLOWS: ECAM - 1. BRAKE TEMP ... CHECK >150

That may not be clear to everyone.

Here is what I know:

Brake temperature is shown on ECAM WHEELS page. An arc will appear above the hottest brake temp.

If brake temp is above 300° C then the temp will show as amber. The brakes must be cooled below 300° C before takeoff and if needed the pilot must manually select the brake fans on.

Now I think the 150 is connected to the AXE virtual copilot logic. If temp is greater than 150 deg the vco turns on the brake fans. If the temp is > 150 then the brake fans should not be turned off as instructed in the next step of your flow.

Cheers

Kosta

Great catch! I should stop producing these at 3 in the morning... seriously... LOL

Thanks will update and put out new in the new year!

• 2 weeks later...

I am extremely happy they are working out for you all!

After having a chance of looking at the documents I disagree that there needs to be a flow for turning off the Elec Hydr Pump - as part of the cockpit prep checklist there is a "HYD PANEL" that is supposed to be "CHECKED" so it will be caught there if forgotten to be turned off. Honestly, to energize a hydraulic system doesn't take long, so once u get the park brake set and your cargo doors in the desired position, you can turn off the ELEC PUMP.

Enjoy!

After all this flying with the Copilot ON i wanted to give it a shot with Checklist ON and Copilot OFF.

But this checklist is total different than the one the Airbus Copilot is using.

What am i doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

@Fly2012: Its not a checklist, its a flow (as the title says).

A flow is done before the checklist and is the actual working procedure for the pilot. Its usally ordered differently then the checklist, because it is done panel by panel. You just work your way through each panel starting at the top left corner of the overhead (at least in the Airbus, but Boeing is quite similar). This makes it very easy to remember because its the same procedure every time without "jumping" between panels.

A checklist is something that is read out to check everything is in order at certain points of the flight. At this point the work is allready done and just checked (hence the name) to see that it was done correctly.

So, if you want to do it like the real pilots, you have to learn your flows and do the work BEFORE starting the checklist. Of course there are exceptions, because some checklists start automatically. But if you know the trigger points you can work in advance and keep the copilot happy.

As Eisa stated, after using the flows for about 10 times, you shouldn't need them anymore, cause you have memorized them. Just as real pilots do.

Archived