CH Throttle Quadrant Idle Thrust Woes

V1VrV2

(Sorry - yes, another idle thrust issues thread...) :beatcomputer_s:

First off: Apologies to Aerosoft Support who must be pulling their hair out over the variability of all of these "throttle axis" issue threads...

I've spent the past 4 hours fighting an issue with my CH Throttle Quadrant and idle thrust. The basic problem is that when the thrust levers are at the idle detent on the physical hardware, the engines are not at idle thrust. In order to reach true idle thrust, you must pull the levers through the detent until they are seated fully aft on the physical hardware. The unfortunate side-effect of this is that once you touch down, there is no way to get into reverse thrust using F1 + F2 on the keyboard. ​Emphasis added re: the keyboard as I'm aware that the physical hardware does not appear to allow reverse thrust (per a post by Finn). At idle, sitting on the ground, reverse thrust can be entered only when the levers are fully aft (past the detents) but then, the 3D model levers immediately move back to the idle "0" position even when the F2 is held for 5-10 seconds. Furthermore, this practice does not achieve full reverse thrust, but rather only to the "R" in the placarded reverse thrust range - see below for detail.

I have disabled all controllers via the FSX dialogue and unassigned all throttle axes for safe measure. FSUIPC is setup to control all of my FSX joystick, rudder, and throttle inputs.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

1) My AsInput.ini file can be found here (dropbox link) and I followed the directions provided by Joshua (here) to be sure it was correct. I am using Windows 7 64bit (English).

2) All controllers disabled via FSX dialogue and axes unassigned via FSX dialogue.

3) FSUIPC.ini deleted and allowed to be recreated by FSUIPC, e.g. no other joystick inputs aside from those being tested recognized by the sim.

4) //InvertAxes=1 and InvertAxes=1 used in the AsInput.ini file.

5) Standard.xml renamed and allowed to be recreated by FSX.

FSUIPC calibration screenshots are as follows:

Throttles exclued via FSUIPC as without this checkbox, I am unable to throttle up.

fsuipccontrols.jpg

Throttle axis 1

throttle1r.jpg

Throttle 2 is setup pretty much identically

throttle2f.jpg

I also tried setting the "Control sent when range is entered" as Mathijs described but it did nothing to change the idle position. (Screenshot link)

Here is an in-game screenshot of the issue for clarification: (larger view)

idledetent.jpg

And the full-aft position required to enter idle thrust. (larger view)

Pressing F2 at this position moves the reverser to the "R" in the reverse zone placard.

fullreverse.jpg

I'm curious if other CH Throttle Quadrant users are experiencing this issue as well and how we get around it?

Thanks for your help!

I had this problem as well and here's how my CH THrottle Quad is set up now, including reverse thrust.

First, if you have CH Control Manager installed, be sure to calibrate your throttle through that program. Also in Control Manager, click on the Test/Calibrate button again, select the throttle quad, and then click on the Throttle Settings tab. Make sure that the value 255 is in every window labled Detent Value...this will ensure that when you pull your throttle to Idle, you'll get Idle.

Next, download these 2 .lua scripts (courtesy of William Reynolds) and put them in your FSX/Modules folder. File here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17913984/AirbusX%20LUA.zip

Open FSUIPC and assign Throttle 1 as "Send to FS as normal axis" and assign it as AirbusX_Thr1 via the click and dropdown menu list right below the "Type of action required" selection.

Repeat same for Throttle 2 but assign it as AirbusX_Thr2.

Finally, in FSUIPC, go to the Buttons and Switches page...move the throttle lever 1 into its full reverse area, and select "throttle one decrease" as a button assignment...also tick "repeat while button is held", and in the field to specify action taken when button is released, select "throttle one cut". Repeat this for Throttle 2. Thanks to W Reynolds for this tip also.

My CH Throttle Quad now works fully, idles properly, has detents for all of the Airbus throttle stops, and engages reverse thrust as expected. Hope this works for you.

Nice, the advice given here has finally gotten me somewhere! However, now I have a problem with the throttles not moving synchronized. I have calibrated my saitek throttle quadrant, and used the thr lua as described in your thread. How can I adjust the movement of my levers in the cockpit to match my hardware?

Edit: just to be clear about what my problem is: The left throttle lever (thr1) moves to detent 1 rapidly, by just moving it a millimeter forward. Thr2 does not move as fast, and so my levers are in awkward positions to make the ingame levers synchronized. Thr1 also doesnt seem not to get all the inputs I make, so it moves "infrequently" (in lack of a better word).

I was using two quadrants with 1 throttle assigned to a lever on each quadrant. Hat caused out of syns problems, where throttle 2 in the sim would aleays be much higher than my hardware.. I then assigned boht throttles to 2 levers on the same quadrant, wich then fixed the problem...

This was regitered fsuipc, axis assigned dct to fsupic calibration, and then empty calibratiom tab...

Mas

I got it to work when assigning both thrusts to 1 level, but then a new problem arose... When I try to taxi, I cant get just a small thrust setting, but it goes directly to detent 1 (which is like 60% or something). Ever tried taxiing with 60% thrust? :D

First, if you have CH Control Manager installed, be sure to calibrate your throttle through that program. Also in Control Manager, click on the Test/Calibrate button again, select the throttle quad, and then click on the Throttle Settings tab. Make sure that the value 255 is in every window labled Detent Value...this will ensure that when you pull your throttle to Idle, you'll get Idle.

Next, download these 2 .lua scripts (courtesy of William Reynolds) and put them in your FSX/Modules folder. File here: https://dl.dropbox.c...AirbusX LUA.zip

Open FSUIPC and assign Throttle 1 as "Send to FS as normal axis" and assign it as AirbusX_Thr1 via the click and dropdown menu list right below the "Type of action required" selection.

Repeat same for Throttle 2 but assign it as AirbusX_Thr2.

Finally, in FSUIPC, go to the Buttons and Switches page...move the throttle lever 1 into its full reverse area, and select "throttle one decrease" as a button assignment...also tick "repeat while button is held", and in the field to specify action taken when button is released, select "throttle one cut". Repeat this for Throttle 2. Thanks to W Reynolds for this tip also.

Merlinman - thanks! I appreciate your help. However, I followed your instructions and it, unfortunately, had no impact on the idle position. :( Is there any chance you could post screenshots of your setup in FSUIPC?

Admittedly, there was part of your instructions that confused me - specifically that about the buttons and switches page. When I went to this page in FSX, it did not respond to any of my control movements for the throttles. I assumed that you meant the mappings on the right hand side of the axis assignment page and so that's what I did. Does this look like what you have?

throttle1axe.jpg

The other issue I ran into was when I installed CH Control manager (I wasn't using it previously), it immediately disabled recognition of both my CH yoke and CH Throttle quad via FSUIPC. So, moving any control on either of those devices showed no corresponding input in FSUIPC. It was as though they were no longer plugged in. I uninstalled CH Manager and they came back. However, while installed, I did check and all of my detents were set to 255.

On a PMDG MD-11 flight at the moment and will post screens of my FSUIPC setup soon. Regarding your screenshot, V1VrV2, it's the separate Buttons +Switches page in FSUIPC to which I was referring; the leftmost tab below the "About" tab in FSUIPC...that's where the reverse thrust settings should be made, not the Axis Assignment page. And yes, it can be confusing!

I wish I could help with the other issues, which I haven't seen...everyone's system seems to be different. I will also post my ASInput.ini file contents as well in hopes that that's useful.

Another 30 min or so...on arrival at KORD right now!

OK. here's my FSUIPC settings for the CH Throttle Quad; first, the axis assignment page:

8295363070_ca5be0e45c.jpg

Capture by wklockner, on Flickr

Note the -14433 axis value in the top window under the joystick number/axis identifier -- this is the throttle lever in the IDLE detent. When the lever is pulled fully back into the reverse thrust (beyond the IDLE detent), then this axis value will be -16384 or so. Paying attention to proper calibration along the full range of throttle lever is important!

Next, the Buttons + Switchs page, where reverse thrust is set:

8295363004_4598e811e6.jpg

Capture2 by wklockner, on Flickr

Finally, the contents of my ASInput.ini:

[Common]

Logging=1

NullZone=0

[FlightControls]

Enable=1

[FADEC]

AxesCount=1

InvertAxes=1

Event1=AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

//AxesCount=2

//Event1=AXIS_THROTTLE1_SET

//Event2=AXIS_THROTTLE2_SET

thanks Merlinman... I think we're getting closer. I tried this though and still no joy. A couple of questions though.

OK. here's my FSUIPC settings for the CH Throttle Quad; first, the axis assignment page:

8295363070_ca5be0e45c.jpg

Note the -14433 axis value in the top window under the joystick number/axis identifier -- this is the throttle lever in the IDLE detent. When the lever is pulled fully back into the reverse thrust (beyond the IDLE detent), then this axis value will be -16384 or so. Paying attention to proper calibration along the full range of throttle lever is important!

Did you calibrate this up via the FSUIPC calibration screen or through CH Manager? I can't get -14000ish unless I'm just about to the stops, i.e. past the idle detent. That might be part of the problem I'm having.

Next, the Buttons + Switchs page, where reverse thrust is set:

8295363004_4598e811e6.jpg

Hmm, I can't get any button assignments with my throttle axis, only the physical buttons on the quadrant. That must also be a CH Manager setup item... ?

Finally, the contents of my ASInput.ini:

[Common]

Logging=1

NullZone=0

[FlightControls]

Enable=1

[FADEC]

AxesCount=1

InvertAxes=1

Event1=AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

//AxesCount=2

//Event1=AXIS_THROTTLE1_SET

//Event2=AXIS_THROTTLE2_SET

I see you're only using 1 axis. I had two enabled... I'll have to play around with this some more tonight but I tried the exact same config and still had the issue. It's looking like it's got to be a calibration issue. The question I have is where do I calibrate the axis, through CH Manager or via FSUIPC?

thanks again!!!

When you mix Windows, FSX, FSUIPC, and CH Control Manager (CM) all in one pot, axis ID and calibration can get weird and confusing. Here's some thoughts that have helped me and may answer your questions.

First, I freely admit that I like and use CH Control Manager (most folks don't, it seems). It's powerful, it allows you to fully program all of your CH gears' axes and buttons in many helpful ways. BUT, for our purposes here - FSX and the AirbusX Extended - the only thing CM is useful for is axis calibration. Launch CM, click on the Test/Calibrate button, select your Throttle Quad from the list, and calibrate it fully as CM guides you through the routine. ONE KEY STEP -- make sure that CM is in DIRECT mode at all times...do NOT download any map or profile via CM. Here's the DIRECT mode button within CM:

8294488927_dea28b3e0d_z.jpg

Capture by wklockner, on Flickr

Next, make absolutely sure that, when using FSUIPC, there are NO axis assignments within FSX. This is easy to check by launching FSX, going to Settings -- Controls, and making sure that all axis assigments are deleted. Better yet, DISABLE all controllers within FSX by simply unchecking the ENABLE Controllers option in the first Controls page within FSX.

Open FSUIPC and enter settings as posted above...there is no need to calibrate any axis through FSUIPC for the AirbusX, in my experience.

The only other thing I can think of that might be related to your issue is a bad axis calibration within Windows itself. There's a small utility I've used, recommended by joystick guru Bob Church, called ClrCalib.exe (free) found here http:www.wingmanteam.com ; this will eliminate all traces of any axis calibration of all controllers in the WIndows registry. You'll have to re-calibrate any controllers other than your CH gear, which you will have calibrated via CM. It has helped me remove calibration conflicts that were driving me nuts.

Excellent - This is very helpful - thanks very much! I hope to get the chance to tweak and try it out over this long weekend (and I'm sure my family will understand the long periods of absence while I fly "the bus!"). :P I do appreciate you taking the time to walk me through the config.

Merlinman - you are a genius! Everything works perfectly now! Thanks again for your help and patience! :)

Here's what I had to do:

1) Installed and ran ClrCalib.exe

2) Downloaded CH Control Manger version 4.55 (from here)

3) I did the calibration/test as you indicated above

When I went into FSX, I discovered that FSUIPC wouldn't recognize any axes, so...

4) I deleted my FSUIPC.ini file and allowed it to be rebuilt by the sim

5) Reprogrammed all of my control axes via FSUIPC, assigning LUA AirbusX Thr1, Thr2 as you indicated.

6) Setup the buttons for reverse thrust as you indicated.

7) Tested and - bingo! - everything worked as it was supposed to. Reverse thrust, correct idle, etc.

Again, thanks very much for your help! Aerosoft - you can mark this one as solved (and feel free to remove the "woes" from the post title since I'm woe-free now!) :)

The user who gave me these tips, William Reynolds, has the same throttle as you, so I believe it would work.

Hi.

I see you guys using CH Control Manger but as far as I know there is no Control Manger or something like that in Saitek TQ. There is utility to assign buttons but it is not the same. Do you know how can we find out how William Reynolds made it work for Saitek?

Thanks.

V1VrV2 - So glad everything's in order for you now, and I'm glad I could help. Happy holidays!

speedbird144: His handle at AVSIM is WR269. Will is a staffer there. I'm sure he'd respond if you PM'd him for details.

Archived