Airbus X Extended -- FPS

iPetroSS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

here is a little update from the FPS front. Based on the information given by Mathijs and others (Joshua) my attention shifted somewhat to find a better compromise between scenery rendition and the CPU related aspects of FSX. I understand now (hopefully correctly) that the performance of AXE is mainly influenced by the FBW which in turn is linked to the FPS as it uses the cycles to do its calculations. The lower the FPS the larger problem for the FBW to keep up. This can nicely be seen when increasing sim-rate on a "slower" PC.

Setting the fps-limit to UNLIMITED only works on the biggies - not on my system. I had found a very good compromise for all the addons so far (including PMDG working fine) but that one did not work for AXE. PMDG and co do more or less use FSX for the flying aspect - they just have tweaked the airfoil characteristics and performance etc to match the plane they are simulating and in the case of PMDG have added a lot of complexity in the A/P - but they do not have a FBW like AXE. AXE is trying to do the FBW calculations and thus behave more like an Airbus than any of the other Airbus addons so far. This is demanding and because it is linked to the fps cycles will have a direct impact on perceived performance.

I went again through a lot of the FSX tweaking sites reading on all the parameters you can optimize with the aim to give the FBW more breathing space. The basic idea in optimizing on a challenged system is to find that fine line where graphics, I/O and CPU live in harmony - sounds like Zen doesn't it :) - meaning that you do get an acceptable rendition, no micro or macro stutters and have a stable fps (not the Jo-Jo effect). I think I found that point with a lot of experimenting. Unfortunately this is not something I can give anyone because these things only work on the particular system and cannot just be copied somewhere else.

Basically AXE is now running pretty stable on 10-13 fps in custom addons and 17-20 fps in standard scenery (limit is 20 fps). That is not much "faster" compared to before but it is more stable - I do not get the prolongued 1 fps states any more. There are short micro stutters in certain scenery areas but they are over very quickly now and do not bring the plane completely off-course. When I use fullscreen mode (which is not practical when doing online flying) the values are 2 to 3 fps better (not sure why that is - have not yet reached that level of Zen).

ALL: DO INSTALL THE HOTFIX 1 as it appears to have improved stuff in the ND department - performance appears to be slightly better and some of the weird display problems seem to be gone (like that half circle you often got on the approach leg).

To Joshua (the other thread is closed): "your" FBW is working fine - I do a lot of manual flying with it as I still have to get familiar with the bus on approaches - intercepting the ILS does not always work and I am handflying it down to the threshold then. The FBW feels good and is intuitive enough to quickly get accustomed to it.

Kosta

hello guys,

I also surfer from FPS issues due to random instant dropout from 30 to 8-10 & back to 30 resulting a no-fly condition (even with my hi-end rig: i5 2500K OC to 4.6Ghz & hd6950 2mb graphic card). flowing that one thing did resolve my 8fps sudden drops, allowing this beautiful product back his wings.

1. open FMGC.ini @ Mydocument \ Flight Simulator X files \ AerosoftAirusExtended \ FMGC.ini

2. modify HTML_interface=1 to HTML_interface=0

3. save the file

4. start FSX & load AEX

it did magic for me...

guy

To improve FPS you can use an external frames per second limiter and / or Xtreme FSX PC software. It worked me a lot and got rid of the FSX crashing problem.

Thanks

I gave this a go set the frames in FSX to unlimited and used the external limiter and now the airbus is fine, it improved from 30% lowwer then PMDG NGX and is now, I would guess a little better than NGX.

Thanks for the tip

• Aerosoft

Reinstall then i guess?

If you were unable to control the aircraft I would try that, but if you just wanted to try to remove a stutter that would not help as the file has to be installed.

We were also unable to confirm any delay caused by the webserver on our systems, but if it helps for people we are even more glad!

Yesterday evening I was reading an article about flight simulation in an aviation magazine, and it mentioned this utility which actually analyzes and optimizes your pc to get the most out of it in order to run FSX smoothly. The author of the article was enthusiastic about this little program, I haven't tried yet, but could be helpful for those having FPS issues.

Kindly

A.

If this file is not on your system the FBW systems would not work at all.

the mod doesn't relay on deleting the FMGC.ini but rather altering the line "HTML_interface=0". i know for a fact this mod eliminated any stutter, till that point it was very problematic since i usually get a constant 30fps limited by the external limiter, how ever, is there any "penalty" & what will be the outcome of config HTML_interface to 0

kindly

guy

Mathijs: I am able to use my joystick (Saitek Aviator) but the elevator does seem to pitch up unless I have constant downward pressure, the roll holds as advertised. So if I dont have an FMGC and the FMGS doesnt have an HTML reference, then am I missing something, it sounds like it either way

• Aerosoft

Mathijs: I am able to use my joystick (Saitek Aviator) but the elevator does seem to pitch up unless I have constant downward pressure, the roll holds as advertised. So if I dont have an FMGC and the FMGS doesnt have an HTML reference, then am I missing something, it sounds like it either way

Okay I would indeed try a re-install

Hello,

I found a solution for myself to increase fps. Try to deactivate hyperthreading of you CPU. That got about 10 fps more on my system!! And now I can fly the airbus x extended very smoothly!! That's great!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!!

Jens

HI all,

I have Core i5 2500k, Nvidia Ge Force GTX 560 GE, Solid state disks for installing FSX, RAM 8 GB.

I got a remarkable improvement of FPS by doing;

(1) Over clocking (from 3.3 MHz to 4.2Mhz)

(2) Using FPS- Xtreme FSX PC

(3) Using an external Frames per second limiter.

(4) Let the REX to load whether over a wider range of area and then shut it down.

I manage get rid of crashing of FSX even by using the 2nd option.

Even I use addons like: REX Essential plus, EZdok camera, Proflight emulator with voice packs, Ultimate traffic 2, GSX and shade. I still get FPS around 30 minimum (normally 40 FPS)

guys i noticed that fps drop when the cockpit come alive, when i load up Cold and Dark the fps is at 20 when the cockpit gets loaded fps drop to about 15 14 fps. i think its the displays or gauges that have the impact on the frames

Helle Jens,

how can i deactivate that Hyper-Thing ;)

Hello Werner,

you can deactivate Hyperthreading of your CPU in your BIOS-Setup. Start your Computer and then enter the BIOS-Setup by pressing any key (maybe F2).

Please use google how to do it with your Computer.

Regards

Jens

• Aerosoft

guys i noticed that fps drop when the cockpit come alive, when i load up Cold and Dark the fps is at 20 when the cockpit gets loaded fps drop to about 15 14 fps. i think its the displays or gauges that have the impact on the frames

Well yeah, of course they take a lot of resources!

Hi. I am also struggling with this, When I load up the bus all is fine, fps of around 20+ at any airport. But as soon as I start to use the CDU to input the route, fps drops to 2fps and never moves from there, internal or external view. FPS set at unlimited.

Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon 2.8GHz - No issues with any other addons NGX around 25-30 fps.

Neil.

• Aerosoft

Hi. I am also struggling with this, When I load up the bus all is fine, fps of around 20+ at any airport. But as soon as I start to use the CDU to input the route, fps drops to 2fps and never moves from there, internal or external view. FPS set at unlimited.

Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon 2.8GHz - No issues with any other addons NGX around 25-30 fps.

Neil.

That's the biggest drop in FPS I have seen so far. Clearly the CPU resources are seriously low on that Mac, what are you using to run Windows?

Archived