Mykonos X - Scenery tears/spikes

keino333

To fellow users of MykonosX who have this problem.

I have a strong PC with i7 @ 4.2 , SSD's and a 2Gb NVidia GTX660Ti card.

I participated at Beta Tester of MykonosX and SkiathosX.

I had exactly the spikes you describe on both sceneries and other heavy payware & freeware sceneries , it is not Mykonos X or SkiahtosX specific, it simply has to do with the load of autogen objects loaded at an instant.

The spikes I refer to are the split second appearing and then disappearing mass blocks popping vertical towards the the sky, not the diagonal lines towards the FSX menu bar, these I never encountered.

a ) they happened only on first scenery load on memory (i.e. not after rotating again the view)

b ) they DID NOT happen when I flew at nominal speeds like 150kts approaching the airport, only when I slewed fast around the island.

When flying high above en route at say 450Kts they never showed up.

So my solution, just rotate once around the aircraft at apron or just ignore it since by regular flying speed they don't turn up.

Read this guide, it may save you the problem.

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To fellow users of MykonosX who have this problem.

I have a strong PC with i7 @ 4.2 , SSD's and a 2Gb NVidia GTX660Ti card.

I participated at Beta Tester of MykonosX and SkiathosX.

I had exactly the spikes you describe on both sceneries and other heavy payware & freeware sceneries , it is noy Mykonos X or SkiahtosX specific, it simply has to do with the load of autogen objects loaded at an instant.

The spikes I refer to are the split second appearing and then disappearing mass blocks popping vertical towards the the sky, not the diagonal lines towards the FSX menu bar, these I never encountered.

a ) they happened only on first scenery load on memory (i.e. not after rotating again the view)

b ) they DID NOT happen when I flew at nominal speeds like 150kts approaching the airport, only when I slewed fast around the island.

When flying high above en route at say 450Kts they never showed up.

So my solution, just rotate once around the aircraft at apron or just ignore it since by regular flying speed they don't turn up.

Read this guide, it may save you the problem.

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

You mean you are a beta tester, it's very hard for me to understand why 29palms decided to not fix this issue if you as a beta tester noticed the bug !!??

For me this spikes only happens at Mykonos, I've got the Dubai scenery from FlyTampa which use a lot of autogen, I never experienced spikes.

After the release of Skiathos, I'm working on an update for Mykonos and I want to solve the issue described here as well.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it on my PC but it seems to be an issue with the white buildings since Günther discovered that deactivating the autogen source file solves the issue.

Maybe this problem is graphics card or driver related but I'm sure it can be fixed.

Could you please test the following:

Go to "FSX/Aerosoft/29Palms - Mykonos X" and rename "JMK_AgnLib.BGL" to "JMK_AgnLib.off" - which effect does this have for you? All spikes gone, less spikes or same as before?

Leave the file deactivated and also deactivate "Airport Surroundings" in the Scenery Manager - All spikes gone, less spikes or same as before?

Go ahead and deactivate these files: "JMK_TownBDs_01.BGL" to "JMK_TownBDs_01.off" and "JMK_TownBDs_02.BGL" to "JMK_TownBDs_02.off".

All white buildings are deactivated now. Can you confirm that the issue is solved?

If you confirm, this should have something to do with all white buildings sharing the same set of textures. There are limitations in FSX such as "Texture vertices per texture" which could cause this issue.

A solution would be to assign more textures to the models or to reduce the polygon count of autogen objects.

I tried but never of you tricks fixed the issue, unfortunately.

You mean you are a beta tester, it's very hard for me to understand why 29palms decided to not fix this issue if you as a beta tester noticed the bug !!??

For me this spikes only happens at Mykonos, I've got the Dubai scenery from FlyTampa which use a lot of autogen, I never experienced spikes.

Try this scenery and let me know if you face the same problems.

It is not a 29Palms scenery specific BUG because as I wrote it happens and in other "heavy" sceneries.

For this reason I never reported it as a bug and so did (not) the rest of the dozens of beta testers that we extensively tested the products for 29Palms before release.

I intentionally do not name other company products and refer you to the above freeware one that presents the same issue.

Also as I wrote this issue (to me at least) happens only when I slew really fast low above the scenery and only on first load of the BGL files in the memory.

Once the scenery is loaded it never repeats in the same FS session.

Also it never happens when flying at "normal" flying speeds in low altitude or higher speeds but higher altitude.

• Aerosoft

Because there IS no bug we can reproduce. There is an issue on your system but we sold hundreds of copies of this product and if all users would see what you see this forum would look different, right?

We got a few test beds in our office. They got clean Windows 7/64 version and clean FSX gold version. The only tweak done is the highmem tweak. And we simply do not see the issue you have on those systems. So we got find what is different on your system. We are 100% sure however that if you would format your disk and do a clean install you will not see this problem. Don't do that though, lol. But we are sure the issue is on your machine and not in the product. That does not mean that both 29Palms and Aerosoft will not so it's best to solve it for you, but there really is not reason to start using '!!??'.

That other products do not have this issue is of course understandable, each product has it's own specifics. But as i said we have seen it with Manhattan X with a lot of car traffic. Fully reproducible, but MS never bothered to fix that issue. We could be very well looking at the same issue. It is a memory error.

Try this scenery and let me know if you face the same problems.

It is not a 29Palms scenery specific BUG because as I wrote it happens and in other "heavy" sceneries.

For this reason I never reported it as a bug and so did (not) the rest of the dozens of beta testers that we extensively tested the products for 29Palms before release.

I intentionally do not name other company products and refer you to the above freeware one that presents the same issue.

Also as I wrote this issue (to me at least) happens only when I slew really fast low above the scenery and only on first load of the BGL files in the memory.

Once the scenery is loaded it never repeats in the same FS session.

Also it never happens when flying at "normal" flying speeds in low altitude or higher speeds but higher altitude.

I tried and I report no spike. I repeat, I am a very old FS user and the spikes happens only at Mykonos.

Because there IS no bug we can reproduce. There is an issue on your system but we sold hundreds of copies of this product and if all users would see what you see this forum would look different, right?

We got a few test beds in our office. They got clean Windows 7/64 version and clean FSX gold version. The only tweak done is the highmem tweak. And we simply do not see the issue you have on those systems. So we got find what is different on your system. We are 100% sure however that if you would format your disk and do a clean install you will not see this problem. Don't do that though, lol. But we are sure the issue is on your machine and not in the product. That does not mean that both 29Palms and Aerosoft will not so it's best to solve it for you, but there really is not reason to start using '!!??'.

That other products do not have this issue is of course understandable, each product has it's own specifics. But as i said we have seen it with Manhattan X with a lot of car traffic. Fully reproducible, but MS never bothered to fix that issue. We could be very well looking at the same issue. It is a memory error.

How can you explain that Mykonos is the only scenery in all my aerosoft & other payware scenery which is spiking ? The tears/spikes are like axes X,Y,Z.

I'm not blaming you but I think it's a mistake from you knowing the issue and not notice in the descripition of the scenery on the webpage that it can be bugy on some system. Unfortunetely I'm fall in the trap ...

Mathjis, are you kidding of the advice to format my disk, what a joke ?!! I'm globally satisfied with your scenery but this is the first that I've got the impressions that you leave me alone in front the issue.

You look like pretty sure that this is a memory error, I think the architecture of the scenery is wrong because as I said the spikes are organised on the axes X Y Z. Maybe 29Palm have to investigate in this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please test the following:

Hallo Lars,

I did the test now once again.

As already stated in February, the JMK_AgnLib.BGL is the reason for spikes at my system (100% Graficcard load).

With deactivating this file (as you suggested) I do not have any overload any more)

(Just a little rise of GPU usage if I look direct to the little white houses near the airport which are still left beside deactivated AgnLib. But this produces no spikes.)

Here again the post with my findings and specifications:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/59647-mykonos-x-scenery-tearsspikes/?p=459295

---

And I'd like to adress something again:

Could be, that there are just a few users are affected. But as the others here have stated, too, Mykonos is the only(!) scenery I have problems with.

I would say, that I have a solid setting and knowledge about my PC and FSX.

This is not adressed to the developers, but to other voices repatedly stating, that there must be wrong or too high settings.

Hope to get a solution one day as Lars promised.

Many thanks,

Günter

Thanks for the report Günter! I'll check that file, look for missing links or settings within the models and materials that could cause problems.

I also hope that I'll find a solution - too bad that I can't reproduce it and odd that it only happens on some systems - maybe graphics card related.

• 2 weeks later...

Here my report,

I finally fix the issue ! I change my graphic card (for other reasons) I upgraded from GTX260 to GTX660 and no spikes on the scenery.

I'm pretty sure that something is wrong on the architecture of the scenery and it results an incompatibility with GTX260 graphic cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Here my report,

I finally fix the issue ! I change my graphic card (for other reasons) I upgraded from GTX260 to GTX660 and no spikes on the scenery.

I'm pretty sure that something is wrong on the architecture of the scenery and it results an incompatibility with GTX260 graphic cards.

Interesting. I also have this same problem -- not the verticle line, exactly, but rather mine are very short, almost instant little 'tears' and spikes, just a quick second.

And I also have a GTX260 card. That means I am the third guy in this thread with this problem that has that same video card. Coincidence maybe?

I'll try turning traffic off and see what happens.

I have been able to reproduce this problem a while ago on another computer running a GTX260 so its no coincidence I guess.

For me as a developer this isn't understandable at the first glance. The houses were created using the exact same settings as the Skiathos autogen, the only difference is the polygon count (and texture vertices count) which is higher in Mykonos. So the update reduces the overall vertex count and I'm now looking forward to replies whether this helped...or not.

Also I do not have those problems, maybe you should try the new version 1.02.

Yes it would seem that this fixed it. Very smooth now, flew in a helo right down into the port and really tried hard to strain the graphics. No tears.

There was one brief flash when something did not quite load but it was just one. FPS was very much improved, I was amazed.

Lars, well done. This definately made a dramatic difference, so yes it helped.

Here my report,

I also upgraded my graphics card from an EVGA 9500 GT 512k to a EVGA GTX 660 TI 2GB and my problem has also gone away. Could the problem be as simple as insufficient video ram? Or just an incompatability with the GTX260 and earlier graphics cards?

I also upgraded my graphics card from an EVGA 9500 GT 512k to a EVGA GTX 660 TI 2GB and my problem has also gone away. Could the problem be as simple as insufficient video ram? Or just an incompatability with the GTX260 and earlier graphics cards?

Benji53 I also have the 660Ti.

One question because I am checking something, do you see the island like this ?

post-29879-0-99083600-1373611967_thumb.j

I refer mainly to the quantity of the 3D lights, not environment colors etc.

Benji53 I also have the 660Ti.

One question because I am checking something, do you see the island like this ?

attachicon.gifJMK_Patch_v1.02-1.jpg

I refer mainly to the quantity of the 3D lights, not environment colors etc.

Not the good topic, watch here http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/70062-missing-3d-night-lightings-in-mykonos-v102/

Dear aerosoft, I'm sorry to have to vent but I am getting somewhat frustrated. I purchased the Boxed Edition of Mykonos X from the aerosoft-USA store back in December 2012 but I cannot locate my order on my account. All I can find is my order for the AIrbus-Extended download that I purchased last year. I did find my order last night but not sure how I did that. How do you find previous orders for Boxed Editions of products? Also, how do I download updates for boxed edtions? Why do you have to register for suport for some products one area of the aerosoft website and other products in another area of the aerosoft website? Why not one area for product registrations? Also, why not have both download products and Boxed Editions show under "Your account"? Sorry to be long winded but I'm finding the support process to be very frustrating. Thanks for listening.

Hi!

Did you go here to register your product and download the update?

http://support.aerosoft.com/support.php?language=fr

Hi Major, yes- I have tried this link but Mykonos X is not listed. This is why I have become somewhat frustrated as not all products are listed. I found my order a couple of nights ago but can't seem to find it now. Very frustrating! Thanks for trying.

Archived