HeraklionX for FS2004 rather disappointing

Guest Jew

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Er!k,

on my PC the frames are dependent from AI-traffic and enbseries or graphicdriver-settings, not a scenery like Heraklion.

No noticeable problems. It's not Flytampa but definitly worth the price. I'm glad to have this destination in FS9 in such a nice quality.

Ciao,

Rainer.

Did a short Frametest this afternoon. Comparing looking to the airport and photo-bitmap against the standard terrain around is a difference of 20 Frames on my system (from 60 to 40). That's a little bit more loss than expected but no problem on my system. Flytampa Athens runs with 45 to 60 Frames.

Ciao,

Rainer.

Very definitely a performance issue here.

You can see it, panning from the surrounding area into the airport terminal area:

60fps...50...40...BAM: 10fps

Not sure what it might be: I've confirmed it's not AI, legacy scenery, nor alpha issues.

Just to benchmark: Dubai with complex weather and wall to wall AI, I see dips down to 20fps.

You're sure that there isn't any other scenery around (or underneath as the hsp-greece) is responsible?

I had to disable many LGIR-files within my HSP-scenery-folders.

If yes (you checked that before) then the developers of the scenery definitely should have a look at it and try to solve it.

It's not an airport where to loose these amount of frames.

BTW: Maybe you know sysinternal-tools. There's a program called procmon and you can configure that tool for fs9.exe and showing errors for searched filenames for example. Something I use every time where I'm part of a betateam.

Ciao,

Rainer.

You're sure that there isn't any other scenery around (or underneath as the hsp-greece) is responsible?

I had to disable many LGIR-files within my HSP-scenery-folders.

If yes (you checked that before) then the developers of the scenery definitely should have a look at it and try to solve it.

It's not an airport where to loose these amount of frames.

BTW: Maybe you know sysinternal-tools. There's a program called procmon and you can configure that tool for fs9.exe and showing errors for searched filenames for example. Something I use every time where I'm part of a betateam.

Ciao,

Rainer.

It's very weird with this airport scenery. I've removed all HSP LGIR related from HSP folders, and yet I have framerates issues. I have much more complex sceneries from Fly Tampa and they are very smooth with high frame rates. I start with 30 FPS (which is my lock limit) and as soon as I take off and head back towards the airport, my frames drop rapidly to 15-18....

Temporarily deactivate this airport, Do the same flight and crosscheck the FPS with Heraklion X activated!

Ok, I just did that. My frame rates are steady as hell at 29.8-30 (30 locked) with Heraklion X deactivated, same flight and whatever I do. Heraklion X activated again, same weirdness again. Which is: Take off, frame rates high 26-29. Birds eye view whole area, 24-25 FPS. Turning back to face the airport, frame rates 14-18. Birds eye view whole area 24-25. Landing with 17-19 FPS and as soon as I land, FPS high 28-30 no matter where I look...

Actually I've already reported on FSDG forum, didnt see any one that had repoted this issue, I dont have any FPS issues at all, but I have a building crash at the threshold of RWY 09 from ground to approximately 300ft.

My specs are:

E6600 2.4Ghz | 6Gb RAM | 1TB hard disk 7200rpm | GTX 260.

It certainly is not the ultimate solution, but why don't you turn off crashes in the sim?

There is no sense in having them on which can spoil a lot of simming fun.

No offence, you are right till the point where you are using FSPAX :)

Hi Guys,

Could you please post some hardware specs and FS9 display settings ?

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Asus P5N-E SLI

> Chipset : nVidia nForce 650i SLI SPP

> Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2400 MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

> Hard Disk : ST350063 (500 GB)

> Hard Disk : ST350063 (500 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 1907FP - 19 inches

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 2407WFP - 24 inches

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (October 2007)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***** End of report *****

FS9 display settings:

[GRAPHICS]

FORCEFULLSCREENVSYNC=1

FULL_SCREEN=1

PERFORMANCE_MODE=0

DEF_PERF_MODE=6

TEXT_SCROLL=1

AUTO_LOD=0

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=2

TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_MAP=1

TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=1

SMOOTH_VIEW=1

IMAGE_SMOOTHING=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

TEXTURE_WATER=1

AIRCRAFT_TEXTURE=2

SEE_SELF=1

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

NUM_LIGHTS=8

LOD_TARGET_FPS=21

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.0]

Mode=1920x1200x32

TriLinear=1

AntiAlias=1

[DISPLAY]

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=25600

TextureMaxLoad=30

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.9

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.1

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.3

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000

TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21

TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8

TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5

TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

[sCENERY]

ShowTriggers=0

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

DYNAMIC_SCENERY=1

DYN_SCN_DENSITY=5

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

SUNGLARE=1

LENSFLARE=0

nHancer Settings

nHancerSettings.jpg

Many developers completely disable shadows from their models, in which case the 'scenery shadow' display option has no effect on frame rate.

We enabled the user to have the shadow option. But due to the large amount of polygons, this can sometimes cause some performance issues. I would recommend, at least temporarily, to disable the scenery shadows option.

Most of our textures have shadows baked on them anyway.

hmm - maybe that's the reason why I "only" lost twenty frames with airport in front? I fly without ground shadows. What about the others?

20 FPS down from 60 to 40 on my pc isn't a big problem. But that's without ground shadows. And if customers have older systems, the influence is surely greater.

What about deactivating some minor library objects for lower systems if needed (user can decide)?

Ciao,

Rainer.

Many developers completely disable shadows from their models, in which case the 'scenery shadow' display option has no effect on frame rate.

We enabled the user to have the shadow option. But due to the large amount of polygons, this can sometimes cause some performance issues. I would recommend, at least temporarily, to disable the scenery shadows option.

Most of our textures have shadows baked on them anyway.

I don't think this is the reason. Why on take off then I have high FPS even when looking eveywhere with buildings all over the place?

hmm - maybe that's the reason why I "only" lost twenty frames with airport in front? I fly without ground shadows. What about the others?

20 FPS down from 60 to 40 on my pc isn't a big problem. But that's without ground shadows. And if customers have older systems, the influence is surely greater.

What about deactivating some minor library objects for lower systems if needed (user can decide)?

Ciao,

Rainer.

My system is not i7, but powerfull enough ( and built many years after FS2004 was made ) to handle FS9 with much more complex sceneries. Deactivating some library objects is not an option for just one problematic scenery. The situation I've described is not normal and as it seems, I'm not alone... Obviously this scenery needs a fix

Hi Miragecy64,

you maybe missunderstood me. Not you have to deactivate something. The designer has to optimize and (maybe) deactivate some objects for not so powerfull systems.

There's a patch needed for that - I wrote it. So I agree.

Ciao,

Rainer.

Archived