OOM-first EFHK now EDDL

BrzI

The last EFHK patch fixed the issue for me. But now I am seeing it in EDDL.

I can eliminate it by turning off all scenery traffic and using max texture load of 1024. But then all my MP payware textures look like nothing.

On the bright side it is not as bad as EFHK when it came out initially.

Do I dare hope for a similar solution as EFHK (option to not use high-res textures) ?

Thanks

• Developer

Hi,

You must keep in mind that FSX is a 32bit application, meaning that there is around 3gb memory limit. No add-on I've seen ever uses all of this memory by itself, but when you keep adding lot's of add-ons, all using high-res textures, all used together, the memory space can start to get a bit tight.

An example:

You have:

- Some weather/environment add-on that uses 2048 or even 4096 textures (eats up a lot of memory)

- A highly detailed scenery of an airport (also eats up a chunk of memory)

- A highly detailed airplane (textures, models, systems etc.)

- All this combined with quite high autogen, cloud and traffic settings

Now, if FSX was a 64-bit program, this would not be a problem, but since these are all add-ons for FSX, they are also bound to the limitations of it. This means that if you want to run them all together, you just sometimes have to reduce the settings (texture res etc.) to overcome the 32-bit memory limit. FSX also poses some memory leaks, which doesn't make things any easier. There are also certain scenery areas that use more memory because of denser autogen. For example, areas that have lot's of dense vegetation often use more memory than areas that is mostly fields, desert or grassland with less autogen.

FSX can be a great sim even with lot's of add-ons combined, but you can't always run everything together at high settings without any danger of using all of the memory. It's like you have a suitcase where you want to pack all your clothes, toiletries and books, but in the end you'll see that the suitcase can't take all of it, and you'll have to choose the most relevant ones.

FSX can be a great sim even with lot's of add-ons combined, but you can't always run everything together at high settings without any danger of using all of the memory. It's like you have a suitcase where you want to pack all your clothes, toiletries and books, but in the end you'll see that the suitcase can't take all of it, and you'll have to choose the most relevant ones.

I fully understand that. I was hoping that some of the textures could be resized....

Archived