Airbus X Extended Preview (topic closed, product released)

I have a question again.

With non-pricision-approach(VOR, NDB, Localizer only) 737-800 can use IAN(intergrate approach navigation). By pushing APP button, FAC and G/P is armed and pilot can use it like a ILS approach.

How about airbus 320/321 ?

Is there a navigation system helping NPA? and is that simulated in Extended?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question again.

With non-pricision-approach(VOR, NDB, Localizer only) 737-800 can use IAN(intergrate approach navigation). By pushing APP button, FAC and G/P is armed and pilot can use it like a ILS approach.

How about airbus 320/321 ?

Is there a navigation system helping NPA? and is that simulated in Extended?

Hi Dogang, one system that the Extended has is called TRK/FPA (Track/Flight Path Angle). With TRK/FPA, you can use that to 'track' a specific ground course by setting that course in the FCU, and control the flight path angle in terms of degrees. Now, with a NPA, you can use the AP to track the radial of a VOR or an NDB using the AP, or, you can set a track with the FCU heading knob and AP. With both of those lateral modes, you can couple them with FPA, by setting FPA to the degrees of the glidepath shown on your instrument approach chart.

For instance, with the FCU set to TRK/FPA, if you have a VOR approach, you can enter in the radial you wish to track into the MCDU, allow the AP to intercept and track that radial using LOC or APP, and for a 3 degree glidepath, set FPA using the vertical speed FCU knob and rotating it to indicate -3.0 for you 3 degree glidepath. The AP will take you down to MDA, soon the AP will disconnect if your FCU altitude is below it, and you can manually fly the rest of the short final approach from there.

Hopefully that makes sense, and helps to answer your question.

Hi Dogang, one system that the Extended has is called TRK/FPA (Track/Flight Path Angle). With TRK/FPA, you can use that to 'track' a specific ground course by setting that course in the FCU, and control the flight path angle in terms of degrees. Now, with a NPA, you can use the AP to track the radial of a VOR or an NDB using the AP, or, you can set a track with the FCU heading knob and AP. With both of those lateral modes, you can couple them with FPA, by setting FPA to the degrees of the glidepath shown on your instrument approach chart.

For instance, with the FCU set to TRK/FPA, if you have a VOR approach, you can enter in the radial you wish to track into the MCDU, allow the AP to intercept and track that radial using LOC or APP, and for a 3 degree glidepath, set FPA using the vertical speed FCU knob and rotating it to indicate -3.0 for you 3 degree glidepath. The AP will take you down to MDA, soon the AP will disconnect if your FCU altitude is below it, and you can manually fly the rest of the short final approach from there.

Hopefully that makes sense, and helps to answer your question.

Thank you very much for reply.

When can Pilot reset the missed approach altitude? After MDA? or during decsent?

In case of 737-800, after that G/P is captured, pilots reset altitude knob to missed approach altitude.

Still not quite the same as the RNP approaches available for the 737NGX approaches. The Track/FPA function does require the pilot to take great care not to enter prohibited airspace below the 'steps', so it can force quite sharp changes in altitude along with slow descents to overcome this problem. The published RNPs are the better. For anyone, may I suggest that you have a look at Queenstown in NZ where a RNP is available. (We are fortunate, but in the real world aircraft must be fitted with compliant systems, and the level of accuracy in the CDU is tight and must be met).

This then leads to the next question, and it may be repetitious, but will the navdata employed in the Extended include all TPs - presently excluded from the Navigraph download?

I am not talking about ILS. It's NPA. When do pilots input the missed approach altitude at the FCU ?

Hi Dogang,

The GA altitude (or missed approach altitude as you have referenced) would be set when FINAL APP is in green and displayed on the FMA. The conditions of FINAL APP being displayed is when the bus has passed the FAF (Final Approach Fix).

Once passed the FAF and FINAL APP is announced in green;

PF: ”SET GA ALT xx FT”

PNF: Action; GO AROUND ALT………………………………..SET

PNF: ”GA ALT xx FT SET”

Hi Dogang,

The GA altitude (or missed approach altitude as you have referenced) would be set when FINAL APP is in green and displayed on the FMA. The conditions of FINAL APP being displayed is when the bus has passed the FAF (Final Approach Fix).

Once passed the FAF and FINAL APP is announced in green;

PF: ”SET GA ALT xx FT”

PNF: Action; GO AROUND ALT………………………………..SET

PNF: ”GA ALT xx FT SET”

Thank you very much.

The reason I ask this is TRK/FPA works with altitude constraint.

For example If FPA is set -3 and the altitude knob is set as 1000 feet and AP is on, Airplane will level off at 1000 feet because of the altitude constaint(Altitude knob).

Airplane dosn't go down below of the altitude which is set at FCU.

During descent with the FPA -3 and now altitude is 1300 feet, if pilot reset altitude knob from 1000 to 4000(GA altitude) what will happen?

I think the airplane will stop decesnt because the altitude constraint is higher than 1300 feet. Airplane will level off. If Im wrong, sorry :)

So..... When do pilot have to reset altitude knob?

(Sorry My English. Damn it's too hard to explain)

Hi. Firstly, it is important to note that Aerosoft does not support DX10 and hence no consideration has been given to the Airbus X Extended's use in DX10.

That said, I have on several occasions used the Airbus X Extended in DX10 and it has worked fine with the exception of little squares around the NAV lights. This is the only exception I have found and I find it acceptable, particularly given that the issue is resolved if you turn the NAV lights off.

Hi, the problème with NAV light can be resolved with, a news patch of STEVE, i try it it's great,

Final approach mode is simulated in Extended?

And..the..FMS Landing (FLS) ???

Sorry.

Flying Technique Using FLS - IAN Modes

The Airbus FLS (FMS Landing System) and the Boeing IAN (Integrated Aircraft Navigation) guidance modes may be used for all straight-in non-ILS approaches coded in the FMS navigation data base.

The main goal of those modes is to allow to fly such approaches ”ILS alike”, which means that the procedures recommended to aircrews to fly non-ILS and ILS approaches are quasi-identical: Same sequence of actions, same controls and same displays.

However, since the FLS and the IAN are based upon approaches stored in the FMS navigation data base and since the performance of the guidance is linked to the FMS navigation accuracy, the same two precautions still apply:

• The check of the proper coding of the approach; and,

• The check of the FMS navigation accuracy.

The completion of the rest of the final approach is done with the same procedures as the one used for an ILS approach.

However, when reaching the DA(H) - or MDA(H) according to local regulations - the pilot must disengage the AP and hand-fly the visual segment of the final approach down to landing (i.e., no autoland capability).

Both above flying techniques allow to state that all non-ILS approaches should no more be considered as Non Precision Approaches – NPA’s but as Precision-like Approaches, if flown accordingly.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello,

So, you plan the 330 for 2013 and what about his brother the 340 ?

Bye

As Mathijs wrote, there is a demand of a professional customer. And that's the reason why they are thinking about a A330. The A340 is a completely different aircraft and therefore would be another project.

Have you forget that the world will be lost on the december 21st night ?? lol

No worries about that. I read the U.S. State Department issued a press release. They assured everyone the world is not going to end. So the government must be on top of this ..............LOL. :hi2_s:

Sorry I had to say that. Now back on track. Thanks Aerosoft, I have been waiting for the A320 for a long time as well as a A319. Looking forward to the planes.

Archived