any takers on an online tour...

Tobus

Of (a part of) the netherlands? We can use the freeware nl2000 scenery and, being from the netherlands, can offer you a nice tour. Aircraft of choice would be a SEP, nothing too fast.

Any takers?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tobus,

I might give it a go. I have the NL2000 scenery but it eats my frame rates up, so I am concerned what may be a 60min flight for you guys could be a 90 min flight for me. I am sorry I didn't understand the SEP abbreviation, is it Single Engine P?

I thought people had given up on Andras Field there has been very little activity.

I was guessing it was something like that, thanks Matt, My Carenado Beech 35 should work fine then, although a Cessna may be better with a higher wing so the view of the countryside would be better.

Do it in a fast Cessna. I know fast and Cessna don't go together :lol: Maybe the CT210M, get up around 15,000' and take advantage of the turbo. Alternatively if you want to fly lower and slower the CT182T will do the trick nicely. You could always you the C337H, its not much faster than the likes of the Bonanza's and if you throttle back a bit or cut the pusher engine it will keep up with the snails pace C172 :lol:

I was thinking a 3000ft transit to get the best out of the scenery and was going to use a Carenado high wing Cessna, I have the C172 I think but will buy something in that is suitable. I like the Carenado 'stuff' but if you have a recommendation I might be persuaded. I also bought the Beaver that Just Flight were reducing over the weekend but the visibility isn't that great. I am hoping Toby will make a suggestion. I am unavailable on Sunday as it is my 55th birthday, a significant birthday if you are or were in the Royal Air Force. I am now a civvie without a job! No longer Squadron Leader, just plain Mr and it is marvellous! I completed 38 years to the day and saw active service in 3 campaigns and various other skirmishes. I am now looking at the possibility of employment in the UAE but will be looking to upgrade the system to a Flight Sim specific PC.

If you want a nice little GA you cant really go wrong with Carenado's range of Bonanza's. Being low wing the views not as good as with the Cessnas, but they are more satisfying to fly. They are of course more complex than a C172, what with having retractable undercarriage and variable pitch prop. Plus you also have the V35B with its butterly or V-tail which looks pretty cool. All that makes them a bit heavier, thus gives a slightly faster approach speed. Which I personally find more fun and they will still land in short strips. You will want to be doing about 100kts on final in the Bonanza with the aim of being 90kts over the numbers but be careful much lower than 90kts and she drops like the proverbial brick :lol:

Thanks Toby, I now own a C208 from Carenado, I will give it a shake down today so I am familiar where everything is! Toby could you give me some tips on settings for NL2000, it eats my FPS?

Yeah, Habit. NL2000 is a huge framehog. That's a whole country in photorealistic textures and custom scenery for you ;-)

I use FSPS FSX booster to get some more frames. A complex aircraft together with NL2000 is asking for trouble.

What normally works best for me is loading up and sitting on the ground for several minutes to let the most of the scenery load into memory before actually flying.

It's a big scenery, very nice, but also a "risk". I'm looking at a route that intersects multiple small airfields, so late joiners or people with problems can join again while flying and having a chance to regroup.

I just tried a trip in the C208 out of Rotterdam and was only getting 5.5 FPS and for some reason my TrackIR was jumping all over the place. I will look for the FSX Booster and see what happens, I will also look at a default Cessna to compare it against the C208.

With FSPS FSX Booster and the Carenado min 7.9 FPS but average 14 FPS. With the default Cessna 172 average 20 + FPS just need to sort out TrackIR now!

Ok guys, here it is:

Flyers known to this date, more are welcome ofcourse:

Toby Louwen

AS forum

Ian Pearse

Habit

Moshe

AMA forum

Mick White

Lars Domen

Dirk

Thorsten Ruerup

Requirements:

- Date and time: friday night 26 october 17:00utc (19:00 utc+2 = dutch time)

Backup date is thursday night 25 october, same time, only when enough people indicate they can't make it on the friday.

- NL2000v4(.03) scenery from www.nl2000.nl

- optional: Aerosoft EHAM, EHRD, EHLE

- Gamespy account in FSX, my own server in lobby fly-ins, password "NL". FSX time of start is dawn, weather is clear.

Server will be online approx 1 hr before start.

- Teamspeak3, login on AS server + headset + mic: 85.114.130.22 , password = softaero.

- Turn off 3rd party weather generation to prevent overriding server settings.

- aircraft flown: simple aircraft to keep frames down with a cruise of around 100kts.

Use of the default c172 is strongly advized, since everybody has that ;-) and will thus appear correctly with everyone.

Also, nl2000 is a framehog, so using aircraft with more complex than default flight dynamics and HD textures will slow things down even more.

Route NL tour #1, courses are approximations. We fly VFR, right ;-)

VFR charts for The Netherlands can be found here: http://home.kpn.nl/harmen-bosma/index.htm

- 16:45 UTC

Try to be online and on the field 16:45 UTC. This allows for loading in as much as possible of the HD textures of nl2000.

start at EHMZ with full tanks, engines off.

- 17:00 UTC, take off from EHMZ.

Aerodrome Chart: http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHMZ-ADC.pdf?

Circuit rwy 09: http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHMZ-VAC-1.pdf?

Circuit rwy 27: http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHMZ-VAC-2.pdf?

- course 300: Deltaworks

- Course 030: follow the Zeeland coast to Maasvlakte, New Waterway and stormfloods.

- Course 120: follow river, Rotterdam harbor to the Center of Rotterdam (late joiners can take off from EHRD)

- course 060: to EHHV, landing on grass field via normal circuit (3 runways), regroup.

Aerodrome Chart:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHHV-ADC.pdf?

Ground movement chart:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHHV-GMC.pdf?

Circuits 07/25 and 18/36:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHHV-VAC-1.pdf?

Circuits 13/31:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHHV-VAC-2.pdf?

- Course 040 to EHLE to overfly Aviodrome and site of yearly FSweekend.

- Course 320 to EHTX, Markermeer, IJsselmeer, Afsluitdijk, corridor to Texel Island, lookout right over Wadden Isles,

landing at EHTX, time ca 18:30 UTC

Aerodrome Chart:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHTX-ADC.pdf?

Circuits 04/22 and 13/31:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/120906-121018/eAIP/html/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHTX-VAC.pdf?

- 18:45 UTC, closure, or....?

Edit 23-10-2012: added a scanned VFR chart of Western Holland and changed route from EHLE to EHTX.

Edit 26-10-2012: Final version, change of requirements.

Map west Holland.pdf

Toby,

You have gone to some considerable effort, thanks. I look forward to the event. The FSPS FSX Booster is proving to be really good. I have changed the view in TrackIR and that aslo seems to have stopped the sudden changes in view, I will let you know if it has also upped the FPS. I only need to sort out a programme that allows me to take multiple screenshots and I will be content! Thanks again for your support, I look forward to seeing you on-line definately on the 26/26 Oct if not sooner.

I'm testing my flight track for time spent in the default Cessna. I will post amendements to the flight plan when applicable, to keep all the information in one post. I also added a link with (old, 2009 version) VFR charts for those that want to have a map at hand.

You'll need to download and use Southern Holland West, Mid-Holland W and Holland NW, in that order.

Toby,

I have sorted out my missing scenery files. I am not sure how it happened, I will go back to the NL2000 page to see if I am missing anymore, Do you know if they provide a photoscenry layer? I will also refly the EHRD - EHHV legs today in the default Cessna to see how it affects things. Although I am enjoying the Me 108B from Classic Hangar. It was interesting to see how my HD textures affected your FPS

Dave,

yeah, I suspected as much and was "nice" to see that my guess was correct. 5+ Players with HD textured aircraft would not bode well for the frames of all of us. Pity, because the RealAir Scout is my fav recon aircraft and the BF108 my fav tourer. Oh well...

I think I'll try the RealAir Scout tonight though on the second leg, from EHHV to EHTX. This to also time the leg I want to fly versus 100kts and the amount of fps attainable with the Scout.

If you're also online tonight: I'll be from about 17:15UTC to about 18:30UTC and will now be flying on my own server in the fly-ins lobby to eliminate weather.

However nice, our tests have shown that AS2012 and REX2 implement the same weather differently, but also impact frames.

However unasked: nice to testfly with you! :excellenttext_s:

Archived