Aerosoft US CITIES X - Los Angeles

jfail1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Whiteman airport needs a bit more TLC. Firstly their are no houses directly across the street as it is a business district right there on San Fernando road. Also, it's not a big deal, but there are always news choppers parked all along the heliports there. I guess that is a traffic issue. It also seems like some of the buildings are a bit out of place. Just pointing a few things out so maybe it is something you can take a look at for a future patch or something.

I think Whiteman airport needs a bit more TLC. Firstly their are no houses directly across the street as it is a business district right there on San Fernando road. Also, it's not a big deal, but there are always news choppers parked all along the heliports there. I guess that is a traffic issue. It also seems like some of the buildings are a bit out of place. Just pointing a few things out so maybe it is something you can take a look at for a future patch or something.

Or.... maybe Whiteman gets some attention in the highly anticipated scenery of Van Nuys... (holding my breath).

one issue I have is the OUT OF MEMORY causing a CTD... I fly the NGX with FSDT KLAX... I am still getting nice fps (never below 17-18), but after a few minutes, I got this Windows 7 bell ringing for low memory issue resulting a few minutes later in a CTD...

I have a great system (i7 2700, 8GB Ram, GTX 580..) and the CFG tweaked (usepools=0, affinity mask=14, highmemfix=1)

thank you

What os do you have?

If its Win xp. Do you have the 3Gig/Switch on?

If its Win 7 64 bit you may want to check this out

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

Its being discussed here

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/385638-monitoring-oom-errors/

I agree that autogen objects sometimes look a bit out of place (=too big) here and there. But that's something that can only be solved be creating a detailed airport scenery, which was never intended for the US Cities range. Since New Orleans we add the airports surrounding a city as a bonus. We add aerial imagery to the airports + autogen + align the default airport layout to the aerial image but that's about it. The final result will look a lot better than default but will never even come close to a really detailed airport scenery.

Personally I think Whiteman would be a perfect start off point for someone who's interested in getting into scenery design. It's rather small but still very interesting with all those chopper pads and the close proximity to LA. In the end this could be a cool freeware scenery and we certainly would make sure it will be compatible to US Cities X. So, if anyone's interested: Here's all you need to know: www.fsdeveloper.com :)

Bests,

Sascha

Ok fair enough. I must say i was really excited to see Whiteman on the list as well as Van nuys, so I was a bit dissappointed when I saw it compared to what it looks like as i drive by it daily.

I will say, Burbank is looking pretty good though. Catalina also, very nice.

I agree that autogen objects sometimes look a bit out of place (=too big) here and there. But that's something that can only be solved be creating a detailed airport scenery, which was never intended for the US Cities range. Since New Orleans we add the airports surrounding a city as a bonus. We add aerial imagery to the airports + autogen + align the default airport layout to the aerial image but that's about it. The final result will look a lot better than default but will never even come close to a really detailed airport scenery.

Personally I think Whiteman would be a perfect start off point for someone who's interested in getting into scenery design. It's rather small but still very interesting with all those chopper pads and the close proximity to LA. In the end this could be a cool freeware scenery and we certainly would make sure it will be compatible to US Cities X. So, if anyone's interested: Here's all you need to know: www.fsdeveloper.com :)

Bests,

Sascha

Hey Sascha,

Maybe you could give me a hint how I could solve my problem or even what could be the cause of it. I bought US cities LA and it looks great, but unfortunately FSX removes the complete autogen in the vicinity of the added areas. So I have US cities displayed properly but when I go to downtown La, Santa Monica airport or Van Nuys for instance the surrounding tiles are free of autogen. Farther away the autogen is reapperaring. I t looks like a huge autogen exclusion. I guess it is a limit within the engine. Is this normal or can this be solved? My specs are:

I7 4GHZ

6GB

HD 5870 1GB

Win 7 64

Thanks in advance, Roland

Maybe you could give me a hint how I could solve my problem or even what could be the cause of it. I bought US cities LA and it looks great, but unfortunately FSX removes the complete autogen in the vicinity of the added areas. So I have US cities displayed properly but when I go to downtown La, Santa Monica airport or Van Nuys for instance the surrounding tiles are free of autogen. Farther away the autogen is reapperaring. I t looks like a huge autogen exclusion. I guess it is a limit within the engine. Is this normal or can this be solved?

Odd. Never heard anything like that before. First of all, check if there are 846 AGN files in this folder to rule out installation problems:

FSX\Aerosoft\USCitiesX-LosAngeles\Texture\

Those files contain all autogen placements. Second it would be great if you could post a screenshot showing a borderline between an area that have autogen and another one that doesn't (with coordinates).

Bests,

Sascha

Hi,

Just a quick question before I buy. How does this scenery work togeather with FSGlobal Ultimate, MegaScenery Southern California and FSDT KLAX, which I have all installed?. I have already read that i need to disable the Aerosoft KLAX AFCAD (AF_KLAX.bgl?) but other wise?

In Las Vegas, I had som DEM file problems which I addressed and double buildings after installing USCities-Las Vegas while I already had FSGlobal Ultimate, MegaScenery LasVegas and FSDT KLAS installed.....

regards

Oberwinkler Richard

Just a quick question before I buy. How does this scenery work togeather with FSGlobal Ultimate, MegaScenery Southern California and FSDT KLAX, which I have all installed?. I have already read that i need to disable the Aerosoft KLAX AFCAD (AF_KLAX.bgl?) but other wise?

Again for everyone: Just have a look at the manual, which is available for download from the product page. It contains all the information about compatibility with other sceneries (it's compatible with all those mentioned!) you need. Ok, I have to admid that FS Global isn't mentioned there but it's compatible of course. :)

Bests,

Sascha

Odd. Never heard anything like that before. First of all, check if there are 846 AGN files in this folder to rule out installation problems:

FSX\Aerosoft\USCitiesX-LosAngeles\Texture\

Those files contain all autogen placements. Second it would be great if you could post a screenshot showing a borderline between an area that have autogen and another one that doesn't (with coordinates).

Bests,

Sascha

Thanks for your response and your help.

I have checked the autogen files. Everthing is there. 846 files. I am pretty sure the scenery installed properly. The problem is not that any autogen of the US cities LA scenery itself is missing but the generic areas around them seem to have lost it. The areas of US cities are full of it. It almost looks like a certain limit of the engine has been reached and FSX removes autogen from generic tiles in order to stay within predefined limits. And now I want to find out if there is a special command maybe in the cfg that forces FSX to stop it from removing autogen from generic tiles or textures because "it thinks" the hardware can't handle it anymore. This would really solve a huge problem if s.o. could help me out here. Or maybe I need a card with more than 1GB of videoram.

Thanks Roland

Thanks for your response and your help.

I have checked the autogen files. Everthing is there. 846 files. I am pretty sure the scenery installed properly. The problem is not that any autogen of the US cities LA scenery itself is missing but the generic areas around them seem to have lost it. The areas of US cities are full of it. It almost looks like a certain limit of the engine has been reached and FSX removes autogen from generic tiles in order to stay within predefined limits. And now I want to find out if there is a special command maybe in the cfg that forces FSX to stop it from removing autogen from generic tiles or textures because "it thinks" the hardware can't handle it anymore. This would really solve a huge problem if s.o. could help me out here. Or maybe I need a card with more than 1GB of videoram.

1024 MB video RAM should be perfectly fine to display all those houses. There really could be some setting in your FSX.cfg that suppresses a high number of autogen objects but I would be guessing wildly which one that would be. There are certainly some people out there who know more about those CFG settings in detail. Fact is that FSX almost always blends out a few autogen objects for whatever reason. Even if the autogen slider is set to Extremely Dense, FSX still blends out about 0.5% of the objects.

Bests,

Sascha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'd like to come back to the question of the OP: Is the Prepar3D installer online now? I checked my account, but it still says version 1.0 which I downloaded originally. Should I redownload this one to get the P3D installer?

Thanks for a reply. Michael

Hi,

I'd like to come back to the question of the OP: Is the Prepar3D installer online now? I checked my account, but it still says version 1.0 which I downloaded originally. Should I redownload this one to get the P3D installer?

Thanks for a reply. Michael

The installer will have its own name and should be recognisable if its available.

• 1 month later...

Hello Sascha,

unfortunately I have the same autogen problem when using MegaScenery Southern California (MSSC) as mentioned above by Roland. When using MSSC alone - everything´s fine. When using US Cities LA without MSSC - everything´s fine, as well. When using both in combination there are large areas with no autogen (see picture below). These areas are spread all over the vicinity of LA. I have just let FSX build a new scenery.cfg to make sure, that no tweak is the reason, but with no success. Do you have an idea?

Thank you

Christian

post-41441-0-38356400-1353957034_thumb.j

Do you have an idea?

I have an idea what's causing it but none that would solve it. Autogen is managed in certain tiles in FSX and it looks like it can only load one autogen tile at once for aerial imagery. See attached screenshot (tile borders are shown as a dashed pink line).

Bests,

Sascha

post-233-0-61757500-1354003284_thumb.png

I have an idea what's causing it but none that would solve it. Autogen is managed in certain tiles in FSX and it looks like it can only load one autogen tile at once for aerial imagery. See attached screenshot (tile borders are shown as a dashed pink line).

Bests,

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I just checked it with your picture and you are unfortunately right. The photo scenery with the higher priority wins - in this case US Cities LA. In your picture it is clearly visible that, as soon as a little bit autogen of your scenery is within a tile of the MSSC it kills all autogen of MSSC in this tile.

I´ll check today in the evening, if a copy of the related agn file of MSSC into the texture directory of USC LA helps, but I doubt it (assuming, that the agn files are coupled with the related bgl files). Maybe the only solution (but probably due to the amount of required work not feasible) is, to make sure, that the autogen of the USC LA scenery ends exactly at the tile borders, not affecting neighboring tiles. This change in the USC LA scenery is probably too costly.

In addition - just for my personal curiosity - I´ll try to kill and add autogen in the neighboring tiles with the autogen annotator (I´m used to this program for my personal adaptations at the VFR Germany sceneries) to have the USC LA autogen ending axactly at the tile borders. Maybe this helps...

Thank you for your response

Christian

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for your research into this, Christian. I noticed the same thing, but it didn't bother me enough to work out why. I suspect you're right about the work required vs. cost to resolve this. As a relatively low cost scenery, fixing it would likely cross the boundary of the US Cities business model.

Unfortunately the idea I had doesn´t work. When I delete the autogen (with the autogen annotator) in a tile that has only partial autogen in it there is still no autogen in this tile (showing from the MSSC scenery), since the USC LA bgl covers this tile partially - even without autogen.

The only way to have autogen in ALL tiles is to overwrite the agn files in the texture folder of the USC LA scenery with those from the MSSC scenery (they have the same file names). This leads to autogen everywhere, but only the MSSC autogen and not the (better) autogen from the USC LA scenery. But I see this as the only way that can be realized easily.

The other way would be to extend the USC LA autogen at the boundaries of the USC LA scenery parts, so that always complete tiles are filled with the (better) USC LA autogen. From my own experience at the VFR Germany sceneries where I did such things for my personal use I know, that this is a hell of a work and won´t probably be done by Aerosoft.

Hence the user of both sceneries in combination has the choice:

1. Live with the (partially) autogen free tiles

2. Exchange the (better) agn files in the USC LA scenery with the ones from the MSSC scenery (now full autogen in all tiles)

3. Use the autogen annotator to extend the autogen in the USC LA scenery to the borders of the affected tiles (for personal use only!)

4. Pay some thousand Euros to Sascha to do point three ;-)

Have a nice evening

Christian

An additional idea that came to my mind this morning: exchange only those agn files, that are related to tiles that are only partially covered by USC LA (and hence show autogen free parts in combination with the MSSC scenery). This ensures, that everything is covered with autogen, but those tiles that are fully covered with USC LA autogen remain untouched. Therefore the agn files related to those partially covered tiles have to be identified. Maybe the autogen annotator could help here, I don´t know yet. I haven´t found out, how the naming of the agn files is done, but since the agn files for the same tiles have the same names in the USC LA and the MSSC scenery, there has to be a relation between the position in the FS world and the agn file name. I´ll have a look this evening...

Cheers

Christian

Keep in mind that the US Cities autogen is much denser. The only good solution in for you in that case would be:

- Copy all USCX AGN files in a TEMP\Texture folder.

- Copy the MSSC aerial imagery BGL covering that area in a TEMP\Scenery folder.

- Open that file in Annotator and place autogen objects all up to the tile borders. I can tell you in the densely populated like this one this will probably take you a few days!

- After that copy the newly created AGN files to US Cities X\Los Angeles\Texture\, overwrite existing ones (backup recommended) and the autogen objects will extend to the tile borders to MSSC as well. At least that's what we did to deal with this problem between the German Airfields and VFR Germany series.

Bests,

Sascha

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I just added the newest US Cities to my collection and I have liked them a lot, but with LA I´m a bit puzzled. It seems hard to find even remotely the spots that the sales screenshots were taken.

I wonder if the scenery is installed correctly, you tell me. Settings are as stated in the manual and FPS are reasonable.

First I´d like to add that even though the manual tells that the freeware KSNA is not OK with LA, I think it is, see orange1.

And the installation really does something as seen in Orange3. The area around KSNA is deserted in default FSX.

After take off from KSNA (with LA) you can see the repeating problem with dual layer textures, like in Orange2.

Some mistakes like this river ending suddenly, see jpg river ending.

In default it goes to the sea as you can see in default river jpg.

Quite often there is wild ground variations like in variations jpg.

Most puzzling area is the downtown area near Santa Monica, here the aerosoft version in aerosoft downtown jpg

and see the difference in default downtown jpg.

And should the roads lead through backyards, or are these over them in real LA? See road cuts jpg.

Small building areas do not differ much, here aerosoft in KLAX jpg

and here with default in default buildings jpg.

Is everything in order, what do you think?

I use Active Sky X combined with XGraphics (dual texture layers at airports?), I have replaced the default US textures with freeware stuff to get rid of the desert look.

post-29144-0-66447600-1356699132_thumb.j

post-29144-0-96087200-1356699204_thumb.j

post-29144-0-57785800-1356699321_thumb.j

post-29144-0-77461000-1356699420_thumb.j

post-29144-0-44987800-1356699472_thumb.j

post-29144-0-58217700-1356699531_thumb.j

post-29144-0-19739800-1356699683_thumb.j

post-29144-0-28549200-1356699694_thumb.j

post-29144-0-53239300-1356699839_thumb.j

post-29144-0-89141600-1356699933_thumb.j

post-29144-0-55920700-1356699946_thumb.j

Archived