Aerosoft US CITIES X - Los Angeles

jfail1

Hello,

Your answer implicates that something is not right, right?

I have done that and moved it down to just above "Addon scenery" just to get it below FSDT KLAX. I tried to move it also below FS Global but that made airports to sink. And yes it has had an entry all the time.

I don´t have UTX USA, but I do have UTX Europe. Also I have FTX US regions, but they are further north (FTX central set to default).

I did one repair, and one uninstall and reinstallation after which I posted those screenshots. It certainly has brought something new to LA, but when compared to other US Cities there is a some sort of mixture of ground textures and a lack of scenery unity if you know what I mean.

I purchased it from PC Aviator and the download process was difficult as it had the Prepard exe as well (4,66Gigs together), I had to repeat it several times before I got uncorrupted file.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have the FTX NZSI, which was mentioned somewhere to conflict with this scenery...

Try disabling all other 3rd party scenery in the scenery library including the Add-On scenery except for L.A. and then see what it looks like.

Thanks for suggestion, but with 400 plus scenery addons that sounded a bit drastic work. I reinstalled LA once again, switched off my Norton autoprotect, but I left it on top of scenery entries and this is what I got, see picture;

That is US cities LA for sure, I guess there is still some kind of bleeding through, but I´m quite happy about this already. I think I was mislead by the manuals first sentece "...US city scenery...positioned between high end city scenery X an d default scenery." That was description, not instruction. But I put the entry way below as I thought where it belongs, but now the scenery is recognizeable when it is on top of things.

post-29144-0-11582000-1356891882_thumb.j

• Deputy Sheriffs

iwn, thanks for sharing your interpretation of what "positioned between high end city sceneryX and default scenery" meant to you. Not all of the helpful contributers here might have realized that was the issue.

Since you mentioned Las Vegas.... :) I have a quick question about priority with FSDT KLAS, and US Cities Las Vegas. In my experience it is always better to give the airport scenery priority over the city scenery. However in this case it seems to work better the other way around. Could this have anything to do with the fsx/scenery/cities/LasVegas section interfering? Or do you have any ideas why this might be? Thanks Sascha.

Normally a smaller area scenery would have priority over a larger area so it sits on top, but if it works best for you the other way round.

Hello,

I just added the newest US Cities to my collection and I have liked them a lot, but with LA I´m a bit puzzled. It seems hard to find even remotely the spots that the sales screenshots were taken.

I wonder if the scenery is installed correctly, you tell me. Settings are as stated in the manual and FPS are reasonable.

First I´d like to add that even though the manual tells that the freeware KSNA is not OK with LA, I think it is, see orange1.

And the installation really does something as seen in Orange3. The area around KSNA is deserted in default FSX.

After take off from KSNA (with LA) you can see the repeating problem with dual layer textures, like in Orange2.

Some mistakes like this river ending suddenly, see jpg river ending.

In default it goes to the sea as you can see in default river jpg.

Quite often there is wild ground variations like in variations jpg.

Most puzzling area is the downtown area near Santa Monica, here the aerosoft version in aerosoft downtown jpg

and see the difference in default downtown jpg.

And should the roads lead through backyards, or are these over them in real LA? See road cuts jpg.

Small building areas do not differ much, here aerosoft in KLAX jpg

and here with default in default buildings jpg.

Is everything in order, what do you think?

I use Active Sky X combined with XGraphics (dual texture layers at airports?), I have replaced the default US textures with freeware stuff to get rid of the desert look.

Hi!

I strongly advise not to use the freeware KSNA scenery with USCX LA. On your screenshots taken around it you are missing a lot of autogen and I believe the layering problems around the blimp hangars north of it may be caused by it. Furthermore there are serious overlapping scenery problems around the immediate vicinity of the airport as you already mentioned.

Also it's important to note that the LA basin is a vast area. Unlike most other US Cities however this one doesn't cover downtown only but also a few other (some of them "downtown") areas further away. To see which areas exactly are covered in high detail, refer to the Google Earth file that comes with the scenery and can be found on the product page.

Bests,

Sascha

Hello,

and thanks for the tips. I have had this scenery in reasonable condition after I moved it up in scenery entries, at least the downtown area is in place and the helipads solid. But I must say, this is unlike the former US cities, it seems to be different every time I fly there. Just now I took a flight from Catalina to Van Nuys and found out that there is a double shoreline around KLAX and KSMO and in the destination at Van Nuys a mesh problem (sides of the taxiways and runway were fallen). I have checked quite a lot scenery files to find dual afcads but found just a few possible repetitions. Its kind of Area 51 now, strange anomalies there and here, but quite acceptable for the modest price.

Really pity that KSNA, its a nice freeware.

and thanks for the tips. I have had this scenery in reasonable condition after I moved it up in scenery entries, at least the downtown area is in place and the helipads solid. But I must say, this is unlike the former US cities, it seems to be different every time I fly there. Just now I took a flight from Catalina to Van Nuys and found out that there is a double shoreline around KLAX and KSMO and in the destination at Van Nuys a mesh problem (sides of the taxiways and runway were fallen). I have checked quite a lot scenery files to find dual afcads but found just a few possible repetitions. Its kind of Area 51 now, strange anomalies there and here, but quite acceptable for the modest price.

For KLAX and KSMO it would heli if you could post a few screenshots showing the coastline problem.

For Van Nuys: Did you move the scenery somewhere else after installation or didn't install it in your FSX directory at all? This could be causing the problem.

Bests,

Sascha

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just flew KVNY to KSMO yesterday to test a new add-on and did not see the issue described. I'll attach some screenshots in a day or two.

I didn't fly offshore, so I can't comment on that yet.

Hello,

I dived a bit deeper into my FSX files and found the following. I had installed a Calclassic Core a couple of months ago in order to get some retro stuff around some airports (signs, cars, ads etc.). However this scenery file altered some airports as well including Santa Monica KSMO and Van Nuys KVNY. By deleting this entry the duplicated coastline disappeared. Also the duplicate runway at the Tustin blimp base disappeared, but I also removed the entry for freeware KSNA, so I don´t know which one did what.

Now the mesh or elevation anomaly at Van Nuys was due to AF2_KVNY file residing in FSX/Scenery/World/scenery, which I had changed to off, assuming that it did not belong to US Cities LA installation. Is it? I thought everything would be in FSX/Aerosoft/US Cities LA. Its date says 26.3.2012. There is s similar AF2 for KSMO (dated 29.8.2012). By activating them again the Van Nuys came back to normal.

Well, perhaps this is solved now. Thank you for your support.

P.S. Still I´m going to play with that KSNA, it is a nice freeware airport and a pity if it couldn´t be used. Also we just got a new quality freeware KONT which is just outside the US cities LA area.

• Deputy Sheriffs

iwn, thanks for sharing your work on this. It's this kind of changes many of us make and then discover later had unanticipated consequences that are hard to troubleshoot. You your informative post should help out anyone else in a similar situation.

Now the mesh or elevation anomaly at Van Nuys was due to AF2_KVNY file residing in FSX/Scenery/World/scenery, which I had changed to off, assuming that it did not belong to US Cities LA installation. Is it?

USCLA places a file called AF2_KSMO_ALT.BGL in exactly that location to alter the airport's altitude to the one that comes with the scenery. Is that the file you removed?

Bests,

Sascha

Archived