Speed management

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

• Aerosoft

Speed management in descend is one of the pitfall of any beginning Airbus pilot. If you got to fast you will have major problems keeping all restrictions and you will have a lot of energy to get rid off. That's often very hard even with spoilers extended.

The Bus is going too fast when intercepting the glide slope.

Many documents describe the use of flaps 1 when intercepting the glide slope, but you might find you will need to use speed-brakes to slow down when you do. We discussed this with some real pilots and they tell us the real Airbus also has this tendency. Most say they prefer to intercept the glide slope with flaps 2. But do not hesitate to use speed-brakes, it is totally normal.

There are many excellent document on this:

http://www.think-das...rbus-pilot.html

I attach a document that come from the incredibly useful site Smartcockpit.com. I was NOT able to find the download link so I attach it. But we did not create it and claim no copyrights on it.

Airbus_Descent_Monitoring_1.pdf