What would one expect in terms of performance with the following machine:

• i5-2500k Intel CPU
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
  • 256GB Crucial SSD
  • High Performance Asus Motherboard
  • NVidia GTX550Ti
  • OCZ COREXSTREAM 500W PSU

The above costs £425.

What would I expect in Performance, after I Overclock? And which air cooler would be a good option?

Thanks.

All in all a good system, but you'll have yaour problems with the Graphics Card.

Take the better GTX560 (Ti). The processor is definteley enough and the other components even though.

The cooler depents on your Chassee height, but the Alpenfohn cooler are very good or Scythe Mugen 2.

Isn't there a 3rd generation i5? I've heard something of "Ivy Bridge", the generation after "Sandy Bridge" were the 2500k is from...

Stick with the Sandy Bridge system, Ivy Bridge offers virtually nothing extra. As for a cooler, I would highly recommend water cooling, as the SB processors are good overclockers and you could get up to 4.5/4.6Ghz which you're unlikely to attain on air. Also, not a deal breaker, but for the difference in price, why not spend a little more and get 1600Mhz RAM. There is a difference, albeit slight. You're probably OK with a 500w PSU but FWIW I would feel happier with a 750w. In answer to your original question, overclocked, your system would be easily capable of running all the latest addons and aircraft at dense/very dense autogen settings :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your replies.

As for the machine: the purpose is the generate the best performance possible, for the lowest possible price.

Regarding the water-cooling, increase in PSU and 1600 RAM, I'm not entirely convinced the price increase would justify the performance increase £ to FPS. I realize that these enhance performance, however the system as it is, should be able to run FSX smoothly with addons like NGX, Airbus X and plenty of quality Aerosoft scenery, with low to medium traffic and autogen.

Am I correct?

Thanks for your replies.

As for the machine: the purpose is the generate the best performance possible, for the lowest possible price.

Regarding the water-cooling, increase in PSU and 1600 RAM, I'm not entirely convinced the price increase would justify the performance increase £ to FPS. I realize that these enhance performance, however the system as it is, should be able to run FSX smoothly with addons like NGX, Airbus X and plenty of quality Aerosoft scenery, with low to medium traffic and autogen.

Am I correct?

Yes, you are correct. I was simply suggesting slightly improved harware for a minimal additional outlay. However, if you don't do anything and want to get the best from FSX as possible, then a water cooler should help you attain higher voltages and so a higher OC = performance.

As well as the above, I have also built this:

• i5 2500k OC'd to 4.6GHZ
  • ASUS P8Z77-V LX
  • 8GB 2x4GB 1600 RAM
  • 240GB Corsair SSD
  • OCZ 650 Bronze 80+ PSU
  • Thermaltake Contac Silent cooler
  • ASUS 1GB GTX260 Ti

For approx £630.

I'm considering upgrading the cooler, but not sure if it's worth it?

• Deputy Sheriffs

It's pretty easy to tell if you're getting enough cooling or not. Use a temperature tracker (RealTemp is a good one and free) and give your rig a good workout with your most complex scenery and add-ons and see how your temps are running. Remember to account for a room that is warmer during a particular time of the year.

As Mathijs says, unless you're overheating your CPU or GPU, save money on the cooling and go with another add-on ;) . On the other hand, if you're running too close to red line, take care of the cooling pronto.