How can I rid myself of the numerous Christmas Trees?

Habit

Ole,

I think I may have found the problem with the Xmas Trees I found a file but it is an exe file that installs a mission the file is called Andras_Field_Christmas_Holiday_Lunch. I downloaded it in December 2010 I don't want to run the file again as it may only install the file again, if you still have it or know somebody who does could you let me know how to remove it please.

Regards

Dave Boreham

OK you will need to rename af_obj_2.bgl to something like af_obj_2.bgl.off

Ive checked and I dont think it affects anything else around Andras Field, but if it does let me know please.

• Upvote 1

Matt Smith you are a genius how did you identify the file? I tried to take a screenshot but could only paste into a word document and it wouldn't allow me to copy and paste from there! Thanks again for your help.

I wouldnt go as far as saying that, but seeing as you insist Im a genius :lol:

As for how did I find it, well, I did a search of the forum and found an old post for the first ever xmas tree we had for xmas 2010, got the file name, disabled it and tried it out, it didnt work, tried the next file and well that worked. Flew around EAFS trying to find any errors resulting from disabling the mentioned file but couldnt find anything.

Thanks Ole, Not installed yet, home broad band has been down too long and only just remembered to take laptop to work to use their broadband :lol: Will reinstall my PC over the weekend and put a fresh P3D 1.4 on it.

Ole, Matt,

P3D is it worth it, I am confused as to how much it would cost me $9.95 a month or mega bucks and am not sure whether I want to reload all my scenery and various aircraft types. Of course all of what I have said is born out of ignorance, if I had a new all singing all dancing PC and was having to reload FSX anyway I would probably be tempted, maybe in the future.

Thanks again Matt.

Dave, when the 50 USD License came out I bite their hands off. After all 50 bucks isnt much money really, specially when you thing they are actively developing it. For me its totally replaced FSX. But if you dont really like reinstalling everything in P3D and some things are a struggle to get working then I wouldnt bother yet. For me Im not really phased by what goes on inside a computer or the inner working of the likes of FSX so thats not really a problem. Ole could probably add to it better.

Of course there is one problem with only having P3D, you cant connect to the Andras Field server as the back end code in P3D has changed from FSX.

Matt,

How do the frame rates compare? I understand the rational that P3D is still being developed and more and more software companies are providing addons that are compatible, I think I am at the same point I was when I considered mothballing FS2004. I get frustrated with not being able to move all my software across, if my wife knew the amount I spend on this hobby she would have kittens. I think I will wait until I upgrade my system which may be towards the end of the year. My PC Spec is relatively low by comparison to those I see in these forums: Packard Bell Quad Core i7 860@ 2.8 GHz 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, GPU ATI HD5570, Win 7 64 Bit OS. It was received as a present being Packard Bell there is very little you can do to upgrade it, however, I also have another PC that requires a complete rebuild/upgrade which I may get around to in the coming months.

Its not really a straight forward thing comparing the two when it comes to performance. Yes many of the setting are the same as FSX but there are new ones. Some of the seeting have been changed too. Take for example the texture resolution. On FSX the highest setting or moving the slider all the way to the right very hight or what ever it is if different to moving P3D's slider all the way to the right to Ultra High or something along those lines. Not just because the name has changed but the setting changed the texturemaxload line in the cfg file to 4096*4096. Try manually doing that in FSX and enjoy the slide show :lol: It will of course have a similar effect on P3D's frames. So after muddying the waters some what I'll just cut to the answer, a lower fps in P3D will yield smoother flight than the equivalent fps in FSX.

I totally agree with Matt. Its not that easy to compare the frames, but still, if you force yourself to do so, I would say that frames are slightly better in 1.4 than was in 1.3, but still the frames are a bit lower than FSX.

BUT NOT TO WORRY, because as Matt said, lower frames still gives you a much smoother ride than FSX ever does, and you can do more slider tweaks in P3D than in FSX, so you can get a better look and have a smoother flight in P3D than FSX can give you - even though the frames might be slightly lower. This is my experience of course, and others might disagree. Its religion after all.

But to answer your initial question - IS P3D worth it? YES, YES and YES. Again as Matt said, Its FSX being developed on. The beauty of it all is that all the keypresses you know by heart from FSX - are exactly the same in P3D, so no getting used to a totally new set of how-to-do-whatever...

Only thing I am irritated about is that P3D does not have an opening screen. You go straight to the default flight. LM think an opening screen is too "gamish" but I disagree, Its good to have a platform from where you can choose all things, aircraft, airport, route,,,, you name it, than to first wait for a total load, ending up with a revving Baron, then having to change everything from there, but Im sure some 3rd party program will give us that possibility down the line.

P3D is the future. Grab it now...

Gents,

Thanks, I am sure that I will move to it but need to upgrade my system, some of the scenery I am flying to I only get 18Fps and having just added NL2000 V4 I am down to 7Fps at Amsterdam. There is only so much I can get past my wife without her knowing so some tactics will be required to shmooze (made op word) my way over the hurdle that is she that must be obeyed! I was surprised though she has said yes to the TrackIR that I ran past her last night! Things are on the up. I just need to find a good place to buy it from nobody seems to have it or even heard of it locally.

Matt,

The TrackIR is on its way, I have a new Logitech headset so as of tomorrow I should be ok. I used Scan computers in the past and my second PC is one of theirs. The rig in there has some issues, it was a Win XP OS that I upgraded using my own copy of Win 7 Ultimate. But for some reason it will only operate in 32 bit rather than 64. I also have an old copy of Vista, I have tried every which way complete Format of the drives all to no avail, the only system that would go on the drive was Win 7 but in 32 bit mode. The drives are SAT drives and if I was going to upgrade it I would probably change them as they are only 160 and 80 GB drives. My brother gave me some of his cast offs and the motherboard and CPU is less than the spec of this Packard Bell. I am just waiting to free up the readies and I will replace the lot, probably through Scan computers again or Novatech. It is frustrating because if I get the job I have applied for I will be minted and can commit the money but I am reliant on the company to make its move before I do so. In the mean time I am enjoying my resettlement leave and getting some serious Flight Sim time in.

Sounds like the processor is that PC is only of 32 bit architecture. Re-settlement leave sounds good, I will just have to stick with the long bank holiday weekend, of which I'll be in London all day tomorrow and out monday. So usual very short of time to fly.