Aerosoft News

alehead

I couldn't find a specific forum for this, so I'll put it in General.

I would be interested to know why right clicking was disabled on the ASN site. I really miss the ability to open stories in a new tab, as the function to open in a new tab has not always been implemented by the web designer...

Andrew

• Upvote 1

Hi Alehead,

What D-AISH already said "avoid people from downloading their pictures" and I can add to this complete reviews (text), columns, interviews, posts etc. Unfortunately, it's common that "others" to copy & paste whatever they see. On the other hand ... reviews, columns and interviews are opened in a new tab, but still with the protection being active.

Hope this answers your question/thoughts.

• Upvote 1

We considered doing that too and implimented it for a short time as people steal from our site as well. The thing is, it doesn't stop people from taking information from a webpage. Insted of right-clicking, all a user has to do is click and drag the image onto their desktop. If it shows as a URL link then they can simply click on that and then right click anyway. As for text, everyone knows ctrl+c and ctrl+v will copy and paste text. And of cource, there is always the snipping tool...

So disableing right-click is only successful by doing 1 thing. Annoying readers...

D'

All interesting stuff about the Dublin project, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my thread. Mathijs, I think you went and answered the wrong thread here... :)

Thanks to Angelique for the information and reasoning. Of course, ASN's decision is final, but it has little effect on stopping content grabbers. At the end of the day, all it succeeds in doing is annoying me as the reader, as mentioned already. Penalising the average reader in an attempt to stop the exceptionally small minority with a method that does not stop them anyway is an odd decision in my mind...

Perhaps you could programme the links to open in a new tab of the browser, like HTML target="_blank" or something, so I at least keep the home page and do not have to reload it again and again.

Keep up the good work either way, thanks.

A

No worries Mathijs, particularly as the thread you were looking for was directly below at the time you posted... :)

Cheers to Hero93 for the information. I had forgotten that little switch. Nomen est omen...

:)

A

You know, I was thinking about Angelique's reply...

As an ex professional photographer I can fully understand wanting to protect content, whatever it may be. However, placing material online, regardless of techniques to thwart it, content will be copied, re-posted, uploaded under a different author and so on and so forth.

And then I see that ASN has a Facebook page... a lot of content is set to public, so it can be viewed at least without having to register with them. Either way, the content use clauses on Facebook have led to me no longer posting any material whatsoever there...

I find the restrictive policy of ASN right clicking not in balance with the use of Facebook... of course this is my opinion only, and I do not expect anyone to agree with my opinion, just to accept that I may have a different opinion than others...

Could it at least be changed that the initial click on a link opens up in a new tab, instead of going to a new page in the same tab, whcih then links to the actual content in a new tab? I know I could use CTRL and left click, but it is not second nature to the large majority of Net users to use the keyboard while navigating sites...

A

All interesting stuff about the Dublin project, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my thread. Mathijs, I think you went and answered the wrong thread here... :)

Thanks to Angelique for the information and reasoning. Of course, ASN's decision is final, but it has little effect on stopping content grabbers. At the end of the day, all it succeeds in doing is annoying me as the reader, as mentioned already. Penalising the average reader in an attempt to stop the exceptionally small minority with a method that does not stop them anyway is an odd decision in my mind...

Perhaps you could programme the links to open in a new tab of the browser, like HTML target="_blank" or something, so I at least keep the home page and do not have to reload it again and again.

Keep up the good work either way, thanks.

A

I'll have a look if the used WP theme allows me to open any post into a new tab. The code is known, now I need to find out if this can be implemented within the elegant theme.

EDIT Aug 24 12:54:

Nice challenge! Ok ... what's done so far ... when you click on either the Featured slider-, Recent-, Random- and the four Category posts, it will result in opening of a new browser tab. Still working on Random Reviews, columns and Interviews.

EDIT Aug 24 13:42

Another challenge that will cause more problems since it's not a part of the installed elegant theme, but from a separate plugin.

When you now click on a Random Reviews title , Columns title or and Interviews titles, it opens a new tab except when you click on the thumbnail. When time permits, I'll try to figure that out too.

I would like to give you all some additional information and also to reply to alehead's sentence "Could it at least be changed that the initial click on a link opens up in a new tab, instead of going to a new page in the same tab, which then links to the actual content in a new tab?"

As you can see in my previous posting, most, not all ideas are already implemented, but I'm wondering if this is the right way. Suppose you open many postings, it will result in too many tabs. With that thought, I've started a poll at our Facebook page. Let's see what happens.