FSX Crash after installing IcelandX and Earth Simulation product

liketofly1

Hi everybody,

I had the same problem like some of you, that after trying to install IcelandX and any Earth Simulation product, FSX would CTD.

So I went for the hunt and found that two files are conflicting, namely:

FSX/Earth Simulations/ES-3D/Scenery/ES-Coastal.bgl

and

FSX/aerosoft/Iceland X/Iceland X - priority2/Scenery/KG_Habors_villages_SVIcel_SC.BGL

after closer inspection of these two files I found conflicting GUID info in there, which when eliminated all was fine. (12 instances of object calls where deleted)

Of corse one is not allowed to disassemble the files and so on, but for my home use I have at-least this conflict solved.

So if anyone needs this corrected file, I am willing to distribute it if Aerosoft permits, or send it to Aerosoft for inspection and distribution.

regards

liketofly

• Aerosoft

Hi everybody,

I had the same problem like some of you, that after trying to install IcelandX and any Earth Simulation product, FSX would CTD.

So I went for the hunt and found that two files are conflicting, namely:

FSX/Earth Simulations/ES-3D/Scenery/ES-Coastal.bgl

and

FSX/aerosoft/Iceland X/Iceland X - priority2/Scenery/KG_Habors_villages_SVIcel_SC.BGL

after closer inspection of these two files I found conflicting GUID info in there, which when eliminated all was fine. (12 instances of object calls where deleted)

Of corse one is not allowed to disassemble the files and so on, but for my home use I have at-least this conflict solved.

So if anyone needs this corrected file, I am willing to distribute it if Aerosoft permits, or send it to Aerosoft for inspection and distribution.

regards

liketofly

I would like to have it for our support database but I rather not see it shared any other way.

Great detective work btw. Changes of a identical GUID are astronomical but possible!

Changes of a identical GUID are astronomical but possible!

They are in fact so astronomically small that it is impossible two different addons use the same GUID. In this case, I assume (I do not own any ES add ons, but it's the only explanation) that ES used a default object in their own library. This will lead to crashes everywhere where both objects are called by FSX. This is something a developer should never do, so I'm at a loss why they did it.

The issue has nothing to do with Iceland because, as you already found out, the duplicate GUID is in a bgl file that only contains default FSX objects.

I would suggest to ask the ES support to fix this issue.

• Aerosoft

Just to be clear, this problem is not directly related to Iceland X. Any scenery that places default objects (perfectly acceptable) will show the same error.

The only way we can sort out the 'issue' is to copy the default objects and give them a new GUID. That's not good practice and probably illegal as well.

Thanks,

I do realize that its not IcelandX's fault or so and

I already have contacted the ES Support, and they told me that they are working on a solution. If you compare the file which I sent you, and the original file from the scenery you will, with no doubt, find what I needed to delete to make them working. As I told Mathijs I am willing to also send you the respective ES-File which contains the model data.

Would it be somehow possible, that by chance, ES unfortunately gave a duplicate GUID to one of its Models? but then again, It was three different instances, that where called (2 instances each once and one Instance 10 times which was some, if I remember correctly, Greek Fishing boat).....

regards

liketofly

Like I wrote before: it is not an Iceland X issue, so we can't fix it. I suspect ES did in fact decompile default files and used the extracted models in their own library without changing the GUID. So they created duplicate GUIDs in their own scenery. This has nothing to do with Iceland X. You will get that error everywhere where FSX tries to load those default objects along with the ES objects. As soon as ES decides to create custom scenery or at least clone default objects without assigning duplicate GUIDs you will be fine. Then again, I can't see any reason why they included copyrighted FSX default objects in their libraries in the first place.

Dear Thorsten, dear Mathijs,

As I wrote before, I know it is not an IcelandX issue and it is not Aerosofts fault.

And I totally understand If you would not want to offer any further support in this regard

Unfortunately, ES's support seems to be not the fastest in solving issues.......

I know that the solution I presented to you is a quick and dirty one, however, at-least it solves this problem for the moment.

Horst, could you be so kind and tell me (if it does not cause too much trouble) out of which default lib you are calling the deleted items? Because then I could compare them with the ES-lib and if duplicated just delete the mdl's out of the ES-lib....and recompile????

If I'm not completey wrong, both sceneries should then work correctly again...??? I'm not a scenery designer, so could you tell me if I'm on the write track, so maybe I could then offer this solution to ES, since they are rather slow it seems......

regards

liketofly

Can you decompile the ES libraries?

If you get a crash, can you get the duplicate GUID that causes the crash? If yo, open the ObjectPlacementTool from the FSX SDK and search through the list of items to find the GUID. You can also use this nice overview to find the object with its GUID: http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/

As I do not have ES sceneries installed I can't tell you which object it might be. But you wrote above you already found out which MDLs caused the issue?

Thanks for the assistance,

Yes, I did decompile the ES-library to find the duplicate GUID's and found the MDL's that caused the issue. However, I can't find those specific GUID's in the default library's......

The GUID's Im looking for are the following.... (text copied from ES-Coastal.bgl)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

C74A3B73-6896-49DF-A57C-1832B9005114

<ModelData

sourceFile="C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\BGL analyze\ES-Coastal_26.mdl"

fileOffset="0"/>

<!-- GUID {C74A3B73-6896-49DF-A57C-1832B9005114} -->

<!-- Veh_Greek_Fishingboat_02 -->

<ModelData

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

75FA5544-B7BC-479C-875B-249B32B56F74

<ModelData

sourceFile="C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\BGL analyze\ES-Coastal_11.mdl"

fileOffset="0"/>

<!-- GUID {75FA5544-B7BC-479C-875B-249B32B56F74} -->

<!-- Veh_Greek_Fishingboat_05 -->

<ModelData

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

5B1BD345-0EC1-45A4-AF37-9B9443F1EA65

<ModelData

sourceFile="C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\BGL analyze\ES-Coastal_13.mdl"

fileOffset="0"/>

<!-- GUID {5B1BD345-0EC1-45A4-AF37-9B9443F1EA65} -->

<!-- Veh_USCG_Cutter -->

<ModelData

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

regards

liketofly

I'm givin up.... :byesad_s:

I found a tool by ScuffyDuck called Duplicate Object Finder, and wow.... :ididit_s: it found hundreds of duplicate files (GUID's).... not only the ones I was looking for, so I guess that could actually not be the problem....because these scenery's work fine. :cool3_s:

When I deleted the MDL files and Entry's out of the ES-Coastal.bgl and replaced the tuned KG_Habors_villages_SVIcel_SC.BGL with the original one i still got the crash.... :banghead1_s:

I then found that the respective MDL files also in another model library.... in another scenery i own (VFR Extreeme - Saint Kitts, - FSPX_Vehicles.bgl) so I also removed this bgl out of the way.... :lightbulb_s:

still FSX would crash. :mecry_s:

So to be quite honest..... I still have no idea what causes these crashes...... as far as I'm concerned, my tweeked " KG_Habors_villages_SVIcel_SC.BGL" is sofar the only solution I could find..... but that at least still workes :excellenttext_s:

If I don't get any other ideas.... well, I guess I'll have to wait until the professional scenery designers at ES find a solution....

regards

(would)liketofly