Tip: TrackIR backlight problem solved!

Eric Bakker

• Deputy Sheriffs

I love my TrackiR, I think it is the next best thing to have in your flight simulators, after a decent joystick or yoke.

But, alas, it doesn't like the window behind my back (during the day), or any bright light source. It gets disturbed and erratic.

Of course I can close the curtains in the living room, but I prefer to keep my wife from divorcing me.

And now I got it solved!

First I read a tip on Avsim from a guy who put a film negative (or positive, anyway, blackish) in front of the TrackIR. I searched my house for such a relic of ancient times, but to no avail.

Then I tried sun glasses. Did not make a difference.

Then I tried a piece of black nylon/pantyhose. I still wonder why that idea popped up in my mind, but much to my own surprise it works very well. Just wrap it around the device tightly, and lo and behold: My TrackIR works all day, windows and sunshine no longer causing a problem.

I thought I share this with you...

• Upvote 2

Just a note to other simmers also wishing to avoid divorce, don't use your Mrs' best pantyhose :lol:

Good tip Eric, Ive actually done the same on telescopic rifle scopes to remove scope glint :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

At least google now give a result when you search for "Aerosoft" + "pantyhose"

I checked this, and yes, you are correct. :lol:

I think the site will get lots of new hits.

Now I don't know what's worse! Eric for coming up with the idea in the first place or Mathijs' idea to google "Aerosoft Pantyhose". I just hope these these ideas didn't manifest during the midnight hour... :embaressed_s: