Visual problem with Corfu

gdavej

I just purchased and installed Corfu X. There seems to be a small problem with vertical lines emanating from the end of the runway (see attachment for details). All the settings in FSX are at or greater than those advised in the manual, I've also tried tweaking these and setting them exactly to the values in the manual. I've tried turning off the RWY specular effect and 3D grass, but still have the problem . I also tried reordering the scenery in scenery.cfg so that Corfu was at the top of the list (in case other scenery is interfering with it).

This is the only airport that I've seen this issue on, and before anybody suggests memory (which caused issues like this on an old PC), my current PC has 16Gb DDR3 RAM, and the video card (Radeon 7950) has 3Gb memory.

post-4136-0-55321600-1344789419_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

This is odd.

Don't you have another Corfu scenery that could be causing a conflict with Aerosoft's?

Have you tried reinstalling the scenery?

No, there's only the Aerosoft Corfu scenery. To eliminate any possible conflicts, I did edit the scenery.cfg file deleting all sceneries with higher priority than Corfu. I also tried reinstalling, with no change.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Have you tried flying over the spikes in a helicopter to see if they originate from a particular tile? I've seen spike anomalies like this in other software, and that's the problem there. Be sure to do screenshots (just hit "V" while flying, and the shots will be in the FSX screenshot folder) with the lat/long showing and attach to your response. That way, someone else (or even the developer, as they sometimes check in here) can verify if it's unique to your system or common with theirs.

Try setting your car traffic to zero and see if that solved it. If it does it means your graphics card is overloaded with polygons.

I tried setting all traffic to zero, as well as disabling all the goodies in the Corfu Manager, but I still get those spikes.

Somebody earlier recommended flying over the spiky bits, and taking a screen shot to isolate the culprit, so I'll attach that file here. That file shows that the spikes are emanating from a single landing approach light. There's also another area close to the terminal which has some problems to a lesser extent. It looks like some sort of bus terminal by the road, I've attached a screen shot of this problem area as well.

post-4136-0-84956400-1344899912_thumb.jp

post-4136-0-98512200-1344900028_thumb.jp

As Mathijs said, this is due to GPU overload. I really doubt it has anything to do with the scenery itself. We only use around 170MB worth of texture load. You have at least 10x as much RAM in your GPU to accomodate tehe remaining FS world. Polygon-wise we are also pretty light on Corfu.

What other airports are you using? Have you tried flying there recently without similar issues?

Can you try setting your autogen low, disable Traffic, annd try using a something very light, i.e. the ultralight aircraft from cockpit view?

Also:

1.update your card's drivers

2.check your GPU temperature while running Corfu, perhaps useful to compare how it runs on other similar-sized add-ons.

As Mathijs said, this is due to GPU overload. I really doubt it has anything to do with the scenery itself. We only use around 170MB worth of texture load. You have at least 10x as much RAM in your GPU to accomodate tehe remaining FS world. Polygon-wise we are also pretty light on Corfu.

What other airports are you using? Have you tried flying there recently without similar issues?

Can you try setting your autogen low, disable Traffic, annd try using a something very light, i.e. the ultralight aircraft from cockpit view?

Also:

1.update your card's drivers

2.check your GPU temperature while running Corfu, perhaps useful to compare how it runs on other similar-sized add-ons.

I really can't believe that it's due to a GPU overload. I haven't seen this issue anywhere else, and it is extremely localised in the Corfu scenery, it also is at the same location each time (both arguments against a GPU overload). The video card I'm using has the latest drivers and is just about the latest from ATI (Radeon HD7950), so no way can this be an issue with the video card. Other airports I've used... Aerosoft Heathrow, Aerosoft Paris CDG, FSDreamteam JFK, FlyTampa Athens, etc etc. all big hitters on the GPU, and no issues at all with any of them, also use Orbx scenery in particular New Zealand (North & South).

• Aerosoft

I really can't believe that it's due to a GPU overload. I haven't seen this issue anywhere else, and it is extremely localised in the Corfu scenery, it also is at the same location each time (both arguments against a GPU overload). The video card I'm using has the latest drivers and is just about the latest from ATI (Radeon HD7950), so no way can this be an issue with the video card. Other airports I've used... Aerosoft Heathrow, Aerosoft Paris CDG, FSDreamteam JFK, FlyTampa Athens, etc etc. all big hitters on the GPU, and no issues at all with any of them, also use Orbx scenery in particular New Zealand (North & South).

The problem you have is for sure one that is caused by how your graphics card interprets the information that is send to it. If it would be a faulty object we would all see the issue right? It's not something you can overlook easy! And believe me we sold rather a lot of this product to date.

I used to be able to create this effect at will on an older graphics card by going to Manhattan and increasing the car traffic, but on my new card (GeForce 560Ti with 4gb) I am unable to recreate it.

The problem you have is for sure one that is caused by how your graphics card interprets the information that is send to it. If it would be a faulty object we would all see the issue right? It's not something you can overlook easy! And believe me we sold rather a lot of this product to date.

I used to be able to create this effect at will on an older graphics card by going to Manhattan and increasing the car traffic, but on my new card (GeForce 560Ti with 4gb) I am unable to recreate it.

This is odd. I've tested all the other sceneries that I have installed in FSX, and not one shows any problems, other than Corfu. The list of sceneries is too long to list here, but it does include a lot of Aerosoft sceneries, Earth Sim, Orbx, FSDreamTeam, Fly Tampa and Imagine. I've run those sceneries with all the sliders cranked up to almost the max, and traffic set at 40--50%, and no spikes, no problems at all. But if I run Corfu, with all the Corfu goodies disabled and the sliders way down, those dratted spikes appear every time in exactly the same location.

I accept that there isn't a faulty object in the Corfu scenery, it looks like I'm the only one who has this issue. Obviously my graphics card is not happy with something in the Corfu scenery though. It is a new graphics card though (ATI Radeon HD7950) so I'd be interested to hear if anybody with the same graphics card has run the Corfu scenery without issues? I do know that there are some current issues with this card (eg Corel PaintShopPro X3 won't run with it), so maybe this is another problem which ATI may fix with a later driver. I guess it could also be some setting on the card, but I'm not too sure what parameters to play with to test this.

Problem solved! My Radeon Catalyst Control Centre was telling me I had the latest drivers, which, silly me, I'd believed. When I investigated closer, I found that the AMD Display Driver was actually 8 months old. When I installed the new drivers, the spikes disappeared. Guess the bottom line is... don't always believe what your computer is telling you.

• Upvote 1

When I installed the new drivers, the spikes disappeared.

These problems are always related to the GPU. And now you can see first-hand what we mean by saying that we develop add-ons using the latest, and most updated materials...lol..you need to keep up ;)

Glad you solved it !