FLY-OUT/IN Sunday August 19´th

OleAndreasen

Toby,

I don't think i can make it, which is a shame. I have almost thrown my PC out the window trying to get NL2000 V4.02 installed, Imanaged in the end by using compatibility mode, the installer does not like Win 7. I flew the Swiss Missions, I can imagine they would be so much better with Switzerland Professional. I had Austria Professional for FS2004 but they do not do an upgrade it was much better than the default, I have to make do with Approaching Innsbruk instead. I must now try and load FSX and see where I will crash the T38!

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Well I have managed to land the T38 but it is more exacting than the F18, I am not sure about a long distance flight in one, although the VC doesn't have an auto pilot I think shift 2 gives you a 2D Comms panel which has one. I have given up on adding EAFS to the NavData files. Navigraph doesn't allow you write access and the PMDG database looks too difficult at the moment. I have tried NL2000 V4.02 it eats up my frame rates so I will need to mess with the sliders to turn it down it is almost unworkable at my current settings, it will have to wait until tomorrow now. Does anybody know how the T38 compares to the Aerosoft F16, that may be my next purchase as I wait for the PMDG B777! I may catch you later dependant on what sort of day my wife has had!

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Habit, strange. I have win7 64 and no trouble with nl2000. Ihave both switzerland and austria, but the missions from verticalstudios are great without.

Hope to see you both tonight!

Toby,

Nice shots I must learn how to do these, and remember to turn off the landing light! I enjoyed the evening it was a good tutorial for me, I hope to improve my formation flying, the landings are getting better though. I like the livery of your T-38 and will look for some downloads later have you uploaded the screenshots to the MilVis site yet? Did you use a program to compile the screenshots only I have managed to take a single shot but if I take a second I think it overwrites the first? I am glad that I have come back to Andras Field flying online is adds a whole new dimension to the hobby for me. Thanks again Toby.

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave,

easy and not very sophisticated. I use TrackIR, so in any look just turning my head gives me a correct image on the screen. I only have to adjust vertical angle via my hatswitch and sometimes the zoom. Just tapping the 'V' for screenshot does the rest. Images are stored in ../my documents/pictures/fsx as BMP with date and timestamp for a filename, so no overwriting of previous pictures. Converting them to JPG via paint.net (also use that together with dxtbmp for repainting) is a breeze, after which I can upload them.

I'll upload them to the MilViz site too, good idea. I got all the repaints I have, including the Navy Testpilot School one from last night, via the MilViz forum. Some are directly on there, others are linked on simouthouse, avsim or flightsim.

The Talon is a twitchy one, with all that power but o so small wings. The rudder is never to be touched when wheels off the ground, so I've found out the hard way....

Turning? Bank 30 degrees and pull back on the stick! Using rudder throws you in a snaproll. I think I'll do some aerobatics tonight at EAFS with her, plus figure out the TACAN/VOR radio and how the ILS works. She's not that hard as long as you keep the speed up. The AOA indexer and -Indicator are very useful tools (page 99 and 100 of the POH)!

In the end, the hardest thing to do is to fly economically with her. I think I would have gotten from EAFS to LGIR in one go, If i'd have climbed to her absolute ceiling of 55000ft on full MIL power, NOT using the afterburner for takeoff and initial climb and gliding down to LGIR for the last 100 nm. As it was, I came in on LGKR with 25% fuel left and in LGIR with 70% left. She'll maintain 380kts IAS @ 25000ft with a fuelflow of 1200 and fly some 1000nm while doing that. Climb to 33000ft (in 1 minute!) on full afterburn and the tanks are 30% down.

I try to fly online a lot, but am shy of "professional" organisations like VATSIM or IVAO. Some likeminded individuals in comparable aircraft are all that's needed!

Looks like you two had a good flight. Shame I couldnt join in, still without my home internet connection :(

No worries, Matt. There will be other occasions.

I have downloaded some of the liveries from Flightsim.com they are good one will not load I will have another look at it later. I have just been doing some night flying at LGIR with an intercept on an Air Berlin A320, The start sound files are good you hear the igniters. I need to read up on the VOR selections I think you must have to select them through the GPS controller but I will take another look. The GPS also shows otherr AI traffic as we thought last night it acts like a radar and is good if you lose sight of the target. I am envious of the TrackIR but wouldn't be able to swing that past my nearest and dearest, she might notice! I am not sure what she thinks about me talking to people on-line as it is, I used to take a lot of stick when people found out how much time and money I spend on Flight Sim as it is. I may join you tonight but can't commit at the moment.

Matt,

Hope you get your internet sorted soonest, the more the merrier!

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Dave,

I noticed some omissions in some of the repaints myself.

In the parts that are to be pasted in the aircraft.cfg, under the [sim] part, sometimes T38A or T38A1 is mentioned instead of T38A3. I changed all to T38A3, since all the regular paints have that, although I haven't accounted if all is well (all repaints showing and working under the aircraft menu).

Furthermore, always make sure that under the [fltsim.xxx] the xxx is an inclining number. Any break in the "chain" (ie 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7) will make all repaints after the missing number not visible under the aircraft list.

As far as TrackIR is concerned: It is my most useful and never to be missed addition to FSX, or any flightsim for that matter.

I simply can't fly without it anymore.

Toby,

I wish I had checked back here earlier, I figured it out after about an hour, I remembered a message on the MilVis Forum that said about this model number a missing one or a three. Like you I made them T38A3. I now have 17 T38As to choose from. Only the FSDreamTeam stuff to sort out and I should be okay again, that is apart from those XMAS trees!

Kind Regards

Dave Boreham

Ian,

It is an amazing aircraft but heavy on your system. I have concentrated most of my flying between the European airfields, mainly because I don't want to spend hours in the cruise, the excitement for me is the setting up and then departure and arrival. Having said that I will buy the B777 when it is complete and just rate the time during the cruise. I have Aerosofts Airbus but have never mastered the Airbus FMCs and way of flying, I much prefer Boeing, I bought some of the Captain Sim stuff but was frustrated by a lot of the bugs and CTD so they are collecting dust in my Download file. Years ago a company called Phoenix Software (PSS) did some really good models, they went out of business but have just restarted as a company called Black Box Simulations, it will be interesting to see how they develop. Good luck with the NGX I was fortunate and didn't suffer any of the install issues when it first came out, you will be able to completely lose yourself in the aircraft.

I'm very much eyeing the QW Bae146 series, which came out last weekend. It looks like holding out on the JustFlight version like Matt suggested was spot on. Has anyone bought it yet? Impressions from the quallity wings and Flight1 websites and youtube are very good imo.

argh... I have been away all week, then had a busy weekend, and my frigging PC is not working very well. And in all that, I must admit that I completely forgot that I was to host a flight today.

Sorry guys.

Toby is it the Quality Wings 146, I have been holding off until somebody reviewed it. It has been quiet on here, I am waiting for the Mykonos scenery it will make for another Greek island to head for!

Ole,

Thanks my internet is playing up at the moment, I think I may just go ahead and buy it over the next few days. Perhaps Toby and I can fly in formation to Iraklion! What did you think of the Mykonos, it looks really good, I need to curb the amount I am spending as my wife will not be pleased! That is if she finds out!

I now have the QW146, I have completed a short flight LOWI to LOWW, I ran off the end of the RW but didn't break anything. I will need to complete a few more flights to understand some of the systems but it is a nice stable aircraft, I ended up to close in when FSX directed me to a RW that I hadn't planned so I converted to manual but had not set up any autobrake and the spoilers didn't deploy, apart from that it was fine!

I simply love the QW/F1 146. She doesn't have thrustreversers, so yeah, set those auto spoilers and use the airbrakes. They are very efficient.

And Mikonos is on my wantedlist as well, so that will happen too. For now I'm busy circumventing Scandinavia for Andras Meridian Airlines. Next stop: Valan (northcape!).