Fairbanks X : Thanks !

altack

Hi Guys,

just a quick post to thank you for your Fairbanks X scenery.

It is as real as it gets and remind me the cargo flight stopovers I made there in the late 90's.

Keep up the good work !

Regards,

Francois

Correct !

747-200F from Roissy to Tokyo or Osaka.

Usually a one day stopover (at Sophie Station on University Avenue) for the crew, only refuelling for the aircraft.

There was a week long stopover (due to the japanese "golden week") but only for top brass people, not the humble ones :-)

The dash 200 was short legged (when fully loaded) so the "pit stop" on the polar route, nowadays 747-400 or 777 are able to do flight non-stop.

Your great scenery make up for quite a sentimental journey !

• Deputy Sheriffs

Francois,

it is really interesting to have somebody that has flown the route in real life. Maybe you can share some details on your flightplanning at this time for those of us who might fly a similar route. ;)

Thanks!

Honestly that was more than ten years ago so I don't remember all the details but...

Eielson AFB was our alternate ("Technical Alternate" wich means it is very close and it doesn't add to much fuel but the weather is good enough so as not to divert) and despite beeing pretty cold half time of the year, weather was unchallenging as far as I can remember.

About the polar route I can't remember the waypoints name but the route was straight through GB from CDG (roughly Prestwick) then a random route abeam Iceland all the way to Alert (and into the 6 microTesla zone) then Eureka, abeam the Pole at 82°N, Deadhorse, Fort Yukon and Fairbanks.

Whithin the 6 microTesla zone, navigation was done only with gyroscopic data (and we were unslaving the HSI with a "DG" switch on the overhaed panel).

I grabbed a 90C chart this afternoon to have a look at present day airways.

The route would be something like LFPG to stornoway VOR by usual SIDs and routing - STN to MATIK via UM615 - direct to ROGSO - all the way to ADREW via M453 (and ROMDI, ROKMA, RODLU) then J160 to Fort Yukon VOR (FYU) then AYKID then PAFA.

Hope it will help (but I would be more confortable with A320 and present day european or french domestic routings...)

• Upvote 1

Francois,

Thanks for a great lesson on navigation. :clapping_s:

I loved 747-200(F)'s. Pity there are very few left flying around Europe.

747-200 was the first aircarft I flew on a transcontinental route in real life...

And, interestingly, the first aircraft I flew on a transcontinental route in MFS In the times when FS clouds where made of cubes, lol) .

Back on topic though, I don't have the scenery yet (waiting for the FS9 version) but I am sure it will be a great company for the already awesome Anchorage.

Thorsten makes excellent sceneries (for both FS9 and FSX) and this is just another example of that.