Core i7 with FLIGHT...

petermcleland

• Aerosoft

Here are the eight cores before starting FLIGHT...

...and here they are with FLIGHT running.

FLIGHT certainly appears to make the most of all it can get...Perhaps that is why it is so smooth :)

mmmmm... FSX for sure uses more of my cores when it runs.

post-43-0-37286600-1344277084_thumb.jpg

You can clearly see the (real) core 3 being used to run the main program, and (real) cores 5 and 7 being called in to assist when needed.

Core 1 and 2 are running background tasks, 4, 6 and 8 are 'fake' cores so they should not do much.

What would be far more interesting is to see how the GPU cores are being used because for sure FSX uses more CPU power then FLIGHT. There is where I expect FLIGHT to excel. Not in CPU use.

• Upvote 1

Mathijs, I get some interesting results with FSX/P3D with GPU usage. I use MSI Afterburner to manage my graphics cards, once I've got my system back up with some reasonably complex addons again I will create of log of usage for you. It should make interesting reading.

Hello;

I made a copy of mine,running Windows 7,64 bit,12 gbits if ram,duel core,I loaded a Fsx Mission,here's the result;This is strange,the only program I had running was Fsx Acc.With nothing running,the Cpu was at 0,and the ram was at 2.54.

Mark

post-26378-0-19715600-1344293476_thumb.j

• Aerosoft

Hello;

I made a copy of mine,running Windows 7,64 bit,12 gbits if ram,duel core,I loaded a Fsx Mission,here's the result;This is strange,the only program I had running was Fsx Acc.With nothing running,the Cpu was at 0,and the ram was at 2.54.

Mark

Well for sure your CPU was working hard!

Hello Mathijs;

I just tried it again,using the PMDG MD-11,flying,the CPU reading was steady on all the cores,at 25 percent,and the ram was the same,I guess it varies which scenery you are using,and so on.

mark

Try banking, you see the CPU loads change a lot as well.

What is the reason for this? Is it a 'bug' with the FSX code or rather is this just the code processing the different dynamics of 'air' 'flowing' over the virtual wing..?

• Aerosoft

What is the reason for this? Is it a 'bug' with the FSX code or rather is this just the code processing the different dynamics of 'air' 'flowing' over the virtual wing..?

FSX does not calculate any air flow like X-Plane does, I think the increase in CPU has to do with the fact a new heading means different sections of the scenery have to be loaded and worked on in the background. If you do the same over sea you see a much smaller rise in CPU use because there is no scenery to load.