Anchorage X / Seasons

Siggy

Hi,

A review on Anchorage X that I just found mentions that a 'season tool' needs to be run for this scenery before starting FSX and that it would affect all installed Aerosoft sceneries. This is not mentioned in the Anchorage X manual. Is the reviewer wrong about this or does the manual just not mention this ?

Guest cptawsom

I'm not in my Widows FSX installation right now (I'm in my everyday-serious-use Linux installation) so I can't run the season tool to tell you, but if I recall from my memory correctly, Anchorage does appear (along with many other sceneries) in the season, so yes, you need it to change seasons.

Easiest access would be to copy the shortcut from your programs folder to the desktop, pin that to your taskbar, and then delete the desktop shortcut. (this assuming you run 7 or Vista)

OK, it is not covered in the manual (I just checked it), but a good strategy for every FSX scenery you buy from any developper/publisher, is to watch out for any shortcuts it creates in your programs folder. These shortcuts are not cosmetic elements. They are usually there for a reason. And if I recall from memory correctly, I think Anchorage did create such a shortcut.

Update:

No that I've booted into my FSX Windows installation (about to do a flight), I can confirm it -> Anchorage is displayed in the Aerosoft Season Tool list.

• Deputy Sheriffs

To add one small detail to cptawsom's post, the season tool changes all the installed Aerosoft sceneries, so the reviewer's statement is correct.

The season tool isn't always mentioned in the manual, so it's always a good idea to check for it in the programs folder that's created for the scenery. Looking in the folder is someting I've always been in the habit of doing before first using the scenery, since any extra goodies (like charts, manuals, the season tool (if present), the tool for adjusting ground traffic effects (if present) and sometimes even turning static aircraft on and off) will show up there.

Guest cptawsom
...the season tool changes all the installed Aerosoft sceneries...

So far, all of them are in the same hemisphere (nothern), so there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is very useful that way.

So for my other Aerosoft sceneries, that show the correct season automatically once I select the time&date within FSX, if I use the 'Season Tool' only once, I will then always have to use it even for those sceneries ? Or can I go back to 'no season' or 'default season' to restore the original behaviour ?

What is the advantage of having the 'Season Tool' ?

I would have liked to see this mentioned in the pre-downloadable manual before purchase.

Guest cptawsom
So for my other Aerosoft sceneries, that show the correct season automatically once I select the time&date within FSX, if I use the 'Season Tool' only once, I will then always have to use it even for those sceneries ? Or can I go back to 'no season' or 'default season' to restore the original behaviour?

I lost you in there, in one or two places, but to sum it up:

1. I don't think that any sceneries from Aerosoft can show the season automatically, depending on the date you select in FSX. If you do not see a scenery in a season tool (either the generic, or its specific one) it means that it has no support for different season textures because it is not needed to -> for example an airport in north Africa only needs desert textures throughout the year, it will never need winter textures with snow.

2. Now, sceneries that do have more than one set of textures, that depends on seasons, they will have a season tool, either their own, or they will be included in the generic one. Nothing is done automatically for these sceneries according to the date you select in FSX -> you have to always select manually the season you want. So if you fly on real-time (or almost) you only need to run this 4 times per year.

Ok, thanks. I investigated this now. All Aerosoft scenery products seem to have a 'Season Tool' shortcut, I probably never noticed or forgot that this was the case. Checking the 'Season Tool' I saw that mine was set to summer.

I probably never noticed the difference as the ground textures and some of the trees still switch automatically with the FSX season, at least it does so with Aerosoft's EDDS scenery. The tool only seems to affect some (extra?) trees.

I can live with this. The fact that I did not remember this tool and that this was not mentioned in the Anchorage X manual looked a bit suspicious to me :) and I had to ask.

• Developer

Hi,

the seasiontool only change textures on 3D Objects of the scenery, because in FSX modeled objects (mostly only trees) the SDK has no feature to define seasonal texture for 3D objects (expect autogen).

The ground texture of the sceneries will allways switch with the seasion of the FS.

In case of Panc, all trees are autogen, so nearly everything will switch automatically. As I remember, Simwings has only implemented some roofs of the buildings to be swichable with the seasontool, but i am not sure, if that was finally included or only planned, but you can try it.

• Upvote 1