A little FYI about Antarctica's latest Discovery

wingclip

Hi folks,

Apparently they just found an "under ice canyon" larger than the Grand Canyon in Antarctica. If the mile of ice that covers the canyon up should ever collapse, I hope Aerosoft is prepared to make the necessary changes :-)

What wonders lie beneath? Radar equipment is driven across Antarctic ice during field work that revealed a massive rift.

By Andrea Mustain, OurAmazingPlanet Staff Writer:

A dramatic gash in the surface of the Earth that could rival the majesty of the Grand Canyon has been discovered secreted beneath Antarctica's vast, featureless ice sheet.

Dubbed the Ferrigno Rift for the glacier that fills it, the chasm's steep walls plunge nearly a mile down (1.5 kilometers) at its deepest. It is roughly 6 miles (10 km) across and at least 62 miles (100 km) long, possibly far longer if it extends into the sea.

The rift was discovered during a grueling 1,500-mile (2,400 km) trek that, save for a few modern conveniences, hearkens back to the days of early Antarctic exploration. And it came as a total surprise, according to the man who first sensed that something incredible was literally underfoot, hidden by more than a half-mile (1 km) of ice.

For more details use this link:

http://www.ouramazin...antarctica.html

I have no doubt! But I think it's going to be a while before you have to concern yourself with this particular canyon. The mile of ice above it won't likely melt in our lifetime.

On the other hand, if the Mayans arte right, we just may see it happen.