Windows 8 - An interesting article

Thanks for the article Matt.

We will see how Windows 8 turns out to be. I am open towards Windows 8 and will be installing it on my main PC, when it comes out. Worst case scenario is to go back to Windows 7. As a desktop user of Windows, I don't see that many advantages yet, but a few features I like and the performance is better. The general media opinion is positive on Windows 8, this is the first negative one I heard in a while, a lot of the articles are either positive or indecisive. I have been testing Windows 8 sine the Developer Build Preview and it's gotten better each time. What I hope is for real opinions and feedback, unbiased because it's from Microsoft or previous experience. I just installed Mac OS X 10.8 too, and am now giving that a try. I like both operating systems and see advantages in both.

For windows 8 I have no opinion either way yet. That all changes when we start supporting it at work. If what Valve reports to be true it would pretty much spell then end of windows to the whole gaming community. Im very interested by their suggested move over to Linux.

I also don't think, MS will lock Windows and just use their own store. The post sounds very dramatic, but I couldn't imagine those drastic changes. I also don't see any reason, why I should swithc over to Windows 8 at the moment, my WIndows 7 platform is running rock solid and quick, why throwing that away? There are not such problems as with Vista, so no need to hurry.

And games running on Linux sounds far more unrealistic to me, as there are so many different version flowing around. This would cause a tremendous ammount of support for any serious commercial "game" product. And which company will take that risk? Those "handygames" may work, but a flightsim? I don't think so...

I think Windows 8 will not get that big thing and not so many user will switch over. I see no reason to do that...

Kai, I agree with you there, WIndows 7 certainly wont be replaced any time soon on my P3D rig. I might buy an OEM copy of 8 to run on my Home Theater PC if it offers and improvements in that area, though Ive not really seen much of that from windows 8.

• Aerosoft

Been running W8 for a while now and I like it. The software that supports the Metro interface really is a lot easier to use and I am very tempted to replace my monitors with touch ones. After using that for a while and I did, a mouse feels definitely very outdated. And on tablets It's going to give the iPad a run for it's money. And me saying that means something, our house got iPad in every room.

Guest cptawsom

Sorry Mathijs, but I would respectfully have to disagree with you.

The Metro UI is a complete joke.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Sorry Mathijs, but I would respectfully have to disagree with you.

The Metro UI is a complete joke.

If you look at the screenshots it is easy to think so, but when it is used right it's damned fast as it makes the stuff you most likely need to use big. And keep in mind it is made for fingers, not mice. Mice are really very 2011. I find it real nice to be able to point at something I want and not have to manipulate a mouse cursor on it.

Mathijs, I wonder if the PC market would get a version of Kinect to work with Metro? That would be a pretty cool way for operating the functions of a home theatre PC, which would quite possibly close the sale on an OEM copy for me.

Edit answered thanks to youtube :lol:

Guest cptawsom
And keep in mind it is made for fingers, not mice.

True.

But also fingers are made for tablets of mobile smartphones.

NOT for desktops.

• Upvote 2

This is seen by commentators to be a reference to the inclusion of a Windows Store in the Microsoft operating system.

This is a shop through which users will be able to buy apps for their Windows 8 device.

On some versions of Windows 8, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.

Will you need the Windows Store to install Windows add-ons (software) ? :blink: That's just like Microsoft Flight...

True.

NOT for desktops.

Very true. Fingers tend to leave grease and fingerprints behind. Especially hard to avoid at hot days as this week. If my smartphone has taught me one thing, than that I want my screens to stay clear.

Also a mouse cursor is much more precise than my big fat fingers. So far a separate touchscreen could be a superior replacement for my keyboard, but nothing else.

Guest cptawsom
Very true. Fingers tend to leave grease and fingerprints behind.

Exactly.

Try using your good xVA/IPS (not TN) monitor with your fingers for a week, and then inspect the surface. It will be really-really filthy.

Or even worse, try to do that with your precious 50'' FullHD plasma TV you are simming on.

• Aerosoft

True.

NOT for desktops.

Have you even tried it? I did and I love it.

I am a firm believer in keeping thing simple and removing anything between you and the user interface. And desktops and tablets will merge much faster then you expect.

And desktops and tablets will merge much faster then you expect.

To be a bit more specific: Desktops and tablets merging? Perhaps. Workstations and tablets merging? Likely not ever.

I can certainly see the trend of home PC's merging with Tablets. Certainly a lot of the all in ones from Dell and Imacs have the scope to go down that route. A 27" Imac with touch screen now that would be nice.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
Mathijs, I wonder if the PC market would get a version of Kinect to work with Metro? Edit answered thanks to youtube :lol:

I guess you have seen Google's answer to that: Gmail Motion?

Sorry Eric, I had to stop watching that video. Maybe its the beer, but those guys in that video are really freaky! :lol:

Take for example this part:

lolz.jpg

The expression does it all. Im so happy my career has peeked on this video for Google :lol: