Bye Bye MS FLIGHT

Microsoft gave up on Flight Simulator already a few years ago. Instead, they tried to get on the game market with a flying game that had potential but is killed in it's infancy.

Now they stop all flying games and simulators and leave the flight sim market.

I cannot find any joy in that.

But many will. I am one of those who will miss flight.

• Aerosoft

Mathijs,

Will this encourage the cause for the development of a new Aerosoft Simulator? The estate of the Flight Sim World is in shambles enough and the time might be just right.

Cheers,

For now X-Plane is our favorite sim and certainly we will not work on anything this year.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

I agree, I think big biz is to a point that if the profit margin doesn't hit a 500% minimum, why bother? I don't know... Big biz is out of my league but I know that Flight Simulation programs are a multi- billion dollar endeavor.

Multi-billion dollar? We wish, but it is only a tiny fraction of that.

For now X-Plane is our favorite sim and certainly we will not work on anything this year.

But I assume you keep developing for the FSX/P3D line as well. Personally I'm not interested in X-Plane, for now FSX is still my favourite sim and in the future it will most likely be P3D.

Mathijis, sit back and just think of the possibilities...... Microsoft has stuffed up and it's as simple as that. Don't dwell on P3D, XBox and all the rest of the crap. Think about it this way, there's no other flight sim in the making whatsoever. So, why not stick your neck out ? Approach some of the staff that Microsoft have given the sack and take them onboard.

Aerosoft as a company can surely handle an overdraft of 3-4 million. Just think of the sales !!!! :) Of course it's going to take a year plus but there's nothing else in the wings.

Have a board meeting and talk about it and aerosoft will never look back.

Who told you there's no other flight sim in the making? Lockheed Martin is working on the next version of P3D (wich isn't crap by the way) and the guys from X-plane aren't sitting still either. That changes the situation. With these two strong competitors Aerosoft might just not make it.

So that's a bit of a downer then PatrickZ but I'm still sure that Aerosoft will come to the party and blow the rest of them out of the water !

So that's a bit of a downer then PatrickZ but I'm still sure that Aerosoft will come to the party and blow the rest of them out of the water !

It is very doubtful if it would be worth the money. Both P3D and XP-10 have the huge advantage that they are based on a working code base.

First they would have to reach the same level which would take a lot of time and money, but in the menatime XP and P3D would evolve further.

Would they ever get this money back? I have doubts. The market isn't so big. I think they can achieve more as an addon distributor and developper by applying some pressure on the existing plattforms. If I look at the XP 10 betas it is obvious that they now listen to requests. While some people complain about priorities, you can't satidfy everyone.

The market isn't big indeed and there's one more aspect to it. That's the number of available add-ons. Most sims only become successfull a while after release, when the add-on market is filling up. That means for both FSX/P3D and X-Plane there's already a large number of add-ons available to dress up the sim. A new sim would have the disadvantage of starting with zero.

With this fact given I think it would be very unwise to develop an Aerosoft Flight Simulator now. They'd invest a lot of money in it and hardly get any sales. Will they ever earn back the money they invested? At least not in a short while.

I must admit I find it rather strange that some people on this site seem to have formed an opinion rightly or wrongly on Microsoft Flight and then go on to admit THEY HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED IT!!!!

Whatever the reasons, Microsoft flight was complete rubbish and didn't even come close to appealing to FSX enthusiasts, it was a huge mistake.

This could have been an opportunity for MS to have re-writtent the code for FSX to meet modern PC's, instead they shat out a pile of garbage. Shame really - but those people out there spouting opinions and having never even tried it need muzzling!

It is crap, it is nothing like FSX, it is a kids arcade game if even that, I suspect my 11 year old would drop it like a hot potato for Battlefield or any other decent game.

But unless you have tried it - SHUT UP!

Regards

Brian "Buff" Hoon

PS - What is to stop anyone taking the code for FSX and rewriting it to modernize it and to make it into the greatest simulator package ever? - Given the new technology we have these days is it really that difficult? I mean MS has just released Office 2012 - so programming isn't dead is it?

Aerosoft seems to be taking the track that it just buys up creators of "better" coded software to integrate into FSX, despite FSX limitations, instead of looking how to rewrite a platform to fit in with the better technology we have today.

It seems like Aerosoft are trying to fit a new Goodyear tyre onto an old cartwheel!

• Upvote 1

Mathijs, I have been out of the loop for a while, what ever happened to Aerosofts plans to do a stand alone flight sim.

I remember contributing to your polls on this about a year ago or more. I hope its not dead in the water, I think Aerosoft

would do a fantastic job of it.

Cheers, Busterbvi,

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Mathijs, I have been out of the loop for a while, what ever happened to Aerosofts plans to do a stand alone flight sim.

I remember contributing to your polls on this about a year ago or more. I hope its not dead in the water, I think Aerosoft

would do a fantastic job of it.

Cheers, Busterbvi,

You can find the answer some posts above yours. ;)

One Question I would like to ask about your recent scenery, the USSS product.

If you use the scenery "Weather" program to change the seasons, do you then need to go into FSX and change the season too?

I installed everything and set the weather as WINTER - I ran FSX which is set to read time / date etc from my PC clock and the weather settings were still as summer.

If I then go in and change the weather settings in FSX to winter, the winter snow appears - this seems to contradict the spiel in the Aerosoft manual - any ideas?

• Aerosoft

I must admit I find it rather strange that some people on this site seem to have formed an opinion rightly or wrongly on Microsoft Flight and then go on to admit THEY HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED IT!!!!

Whatever the reasons, Microsoft flight was complete rubbish and didn't even come close to appealing to FSX enthusiasts, it was a huge mistake.

This could have been an opportunity for MS to have re-writtent the code for FSX to meet modern PC's, instead they shat out a pile of garbage. Shame really - but those people out there spouting opinions and having never even tried it need muzzling!

It is crap, it is nothing like FSX, it is a kids arcade game if even that, I suspect my 11 year old would drop it like a hot potato for Battlefield or any other decent game.

But unless you have tried it - SHUT UP!

Regards

Brian "Buff" Hoon

PS - What is to stop anyone taking the code for FSX and rewriting it to modernize it and to make it into the greatest simulator package ever? - Given the new technology we have these days is it really that difficult? I mean MS has just released Office 2012 - so programming isn't dead is it?

Aerosoft seems to be taking the track that it just buys up creators of "better" coded software to integrate into FSX, despite FSX limitations, instead of looking how to rewrite a platform to fit in with the better technology we have today.

It seems like Aerosoft are trying to fit a new Goodyear tyre onto an old cartwheel!

Well you don't need to try something to have an opinion. It is (was) a simulator that looked good but was very light on systems. They started adding VOR's at the end but even that simply system was messed up very much (250 mile range, even if you flew at at 150 feet between windows). So all those things did put people off and gave them, in my opinion, a right to say it sucked as a serious simulator. But most of all MS had a marketing model that did not match the intended customers and refused add-on developers to add content. They thought they could do it all alone. It was a potentially great simulator but Microsoft messed it up. As a result most of our customer did not like it.

Please do not tell people to shut up.

And to build a complete new simulator is a project that takes a few million dollar and a few years, I think you seriously underestimate what is involved. For now our money is on P3D and XP10. both projects that are being worked on daily.

• Deputy Sheriffs

For now our money is on P3D and XP10. both projects that are being worked on daily.

And that is music to my ears!

I have them both, that way I do not have to choose. :lol:

For now our money is on P3D and XP10. both projects that are being worked on daily.

Somehow i miss FSX in this sentence.... :mecry_s:

Yes. When at all possible we'll do P3D versions. But the lack of AES and AESLite restricts us a bit.

Yes. When at all possible we'll do P3D versions. But the lack of AES and AESLite restricts us a bit.

Mathjis, does this mean that the 'Aerosoft Flight Simulator' will now be pushed on please?

Mathijs,

I can only talk based on my own experiance. To be a flight simmer you got to be an airplane lover first and from that moment on you acquired the bug. For me it was when I was 9 years old and she was a the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, A Pan Am B707. I got onboard that day and flew to MPTO. I was dazzled for life.

With Flight we all had a very long time to prepare for what was coming out the pipeline. True flight simers didn't like it. Me included. When it came out, I did gave it a good shot??? Yes, I did. But to no avail. It was the bigging of 25 years ago with better graphics. Not good enough at all.

I have downloaed the Demo of X-plane 10 and I got the same experiance I got in verision 7 and 8. Something is missing and to me it is the lack of the ultimate objective of a Fight Sim. Too much work to make it just okay or better. I do not havr the time left.

MS can still do in a few month they find True North again.

MAB

• 3 weeks later...