Bye Bye MS FLIGHT

• Aerosoft

It's not that it is comes as surprise to us (the whole plan was ill conceived) but it seem Microsoft has cancelled MS FLIGHT.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/1006601.20120726.Microsoft-cancels-Flight-and-Project-Columbia/

Go Lockheed Martin, go!!

• Upvote 9

• Aerosoft

Here's their official statement:

Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on "Microsoft Flight" and "Project Columbia," but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For "Microsoft Flight," we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/.

It isn't a surprise to me either. The whole idea of the arcade game was not what the FSX/FS9/FSwhatsoever community wanted. If they would have given us a new plattform with great performance which uses the computers resources very well (Not like FSX!) they could have made very much money out of it.

• Upvote 1

Predictable but any death of a flightsim team is sad. That producer really needs a boot up the botty. Hopeless, could have been so much better.

Yes, our money is there for the taking P3D and Austin. Just fix everything pronto so it runs easier/prettier.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Go Lockheed Martin, go!!

I wonder if this will free the way for an 'entertainment' version of P3D.

But this might be not a market LM wants to be active in...

Guest cptawsom

Excellent news.

(arcade so called "flight-sim") Garbage, should be with garbage, at the waste dustbin, where it naturally belongs.

• Upvote 1

Thats essentially what the education edition is. After all education is entertaining :lol:

• Deputy Sheriffs

lol ... that it even took this long ... the way they make their statement is rather funny ... when they would have even taken the time to sit down with some of the biggset thrid party add on developers they might have had a small chance ... this was meant to go down the drain from the moment it was known that this would be an arcade game ... MS fails again lol

• Upvote 1

Simply put, they should never have disbanded the Aces team, and instead developed the successor to FSX. And done it right, without carrying over legacy code. Huge mis-step in my opinion.

Robert

Disbanding Aces was one of Microsoft's master strokes. Seeing as they are now working on Perpar3D. Hopefully Lockheed Martin will be able to do a better job the Microsoft.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

So they say, but they sure do not make it hard to buy P3D. The field where they ask for what education institute you work for/study at is optional!

I knew this would happen some day as soon as I heard Flight would be a game. I knew that strategy wouldn't be successful, and I was right.

Now that Microsoft no longer has a competitive product on the market, the way is free for Lockheed Martin to publish Prepar3D in a much wider range. Until now they were tied up by appointments with Microsoft not to compete with them, but not anymore.

It was dead from the start. Simple as that.

FSX is in its prime right now - we have hardware that can run it, and tons of new addons being produced everyday. My FSX is working very well, so I have no interest in another sim, let alone a limited game like Flight.

Given that Scott from A2A is stating that interest in FSX has in fact "surged" since the release of MSFlight it could be that MS has done us all a pretty big favour, both by releasing and subsequently canning, MSFlight.

RIP

I just goes to show how Microsoft have suffered in the wake of Bill Gates retiring, seeing as he was pretty much the driving force behind all the MS FS titles.

maybe they now think about a FSX-follower!

They can't since they sold those rights. But the follower for FSX is already there. Lockheed Martin has bought the rights from Microsoft to develop on their core and they have made Prepar3D out of it.

Not strictly true, there's nothing stopping Microsoft making a successor and calling it FSIX because I think you will find MS only sold LM the code for ESP, which strictly speaking isn't FSX.

They can't since they sold those rights. But the follower for FSX is already there. Lockheed Martin has bought the rights from Microsoft to develop on their core and they have made Prepar3D out of it.

i really still dont get what this Prepare3D thing is! its like a pimped FSX right? but with the same looks or? but mabye better code and performance and less CTD´s ?