Carbon Cub...

petermcleland

Looks quite nice, but does the VOR and nav radio work?

Yes it does Matt...I did a LOC/DME approach into Sitka...It is still tuned and you can see the needle is deflected (there's no Glidepath here).

Its improving then. Havent had a chance to closely inspect the picture as Im at work :lol:

Well if you click the link to the other pictures and scroll down to the last but one, there is a close up of the main instruments :)

Here is something I posted elsewhere:-

If you look at the last but one picture...close up of main instruments, you will see the localiser needle is displaced. I had just done a LOC/DME approach to Sitka (there is no glidepath here but will check when I get an airport with full ILS). There are lots of navaids around Alaska. You just have to tick the box on the MAP to make them all show. Then if you hover your mouse pointer over one of them on the MAP, it will play the Ident. Also the nav box on the Cub has a button to click to hear the ident of the NavAid that you have tuned...There are many VORs and NDBs as well. The Icon has no navaids in it so that is map only (just like the Venoms and Hunters that I flew). However, the Carbon Cub, RV6 and Maule have navaids on board.

No, sadly there is no float version of the CC and only two liveries. Yes it does fly extremely well and with dramatic performance. Take-off and landing is very short (especially if like me you accidentally set the parking brake on the approach!). Rate of climb is quick. Ailerons are light and the aircraft will not just fly a course on its own. Loops are great. Rolls are great (the engine cuts near the inverted but roars up again as you come out...not a problem as the rate of roll is faster than the Icon).

One thing about Alaska is that there are hundreds of Seaplane Bases, so I expect to be using the Icon more than the Cub. What I have in mind is flying between airports with the Cub and then while based there for a while, seek out all the local SPBs with the Icon. Then back into the Cub to move base to the next airport

EDIT...forgot to mention that I tried a spin in both directions from 14000 feet...The spin is very stable but the speed sits steady at 69 knots. This leads me to believe that on this aeroplane it is a spiral dive as opposed to a proper spin I will experiment further and see if I can persuade it to remain fully stalled in a "flatter" proper spin. BTW spinning is prohibited anyway.

Now that FLIGHT is history, I will continue to enjoy the Carbon Cub, Icon, RV6 and Maule in Alaska and Hawaii but will sadly miss the awaited future developments :(

Here's their official statement:

Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on "Microsoft Flight" and "Project Columbia," but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For "Microsoft Flight," we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

LOL! Hi Mathijs...I guess I'm a member of a pretty exclusive club...The CCC...Carbon Cub Club. I'm the founder member and at the moment I'm flying it from Sitka to Skagway...Over the mountain range behind Sitka then down into the very long fjord that runs all the way to Skagway...I'm flying at about 1000 feet and really enjoying the best scenery I've seen in Flight Simulation...I'm about halfway there now and have a VOR tuned (seven sisters SSR) and it is showing on the OBS. I've just saved the flight and will continue tomorrow. Alaska is very very big and will give me a lot of enjoyment with my Carbon Cub and my Icon amphibian, hopefully for many years to come :)