Soaring in LM Prepar3D

jcomm

Would like to know about successful installations of soaring add-ons, including CumulusX!, Aerosoft Discus X, etc, in LM Prepar3D.

Thx in advance for any comments!

• 1 month later...

jcomm, did you ever get any positive/negative feedback on installing FSX stuff to Prepar3D? I'm just wondering, because I am about in a position to make the jump into it, and would hate to not get my money's worth out of it since it took me this long to get the money. I will search the forum again for success stories and workarounds, but if there is anyone out there listening in that have enjoyed soaring in Prepar3D, please let us know. I have one other forum I can check that may give me some quick answers to, but haven't been there for a while.

Scott

Well, I made the jump into Prepar3D seeing as though more of the SOAR community may do the same. At this point in time, I feel a little anxiety towards my decision. It is definitely suited for academic purposes I feel. There is no RealWorld Weather as was in FSX, so a person cannot "learn on the fly", which I'm really not sure why that would not be academic. Though since it's a learning tool, I see how it is used in a sence that a test (or even the material used for a test) has to be the same for everybody, and therefore a person has the ability to retest/restudy the material in an unchanged way.

As far as success stories, I have been able to get FaceTrackNoIR (a free TrackIR type substitute), and have also got XCSoar working in it as well, so that was 2 of my main concerns, but still a little iffy on whether or not the TrackIR workaround is done legally. And on that subject, I have gotten Aerosoft's DiscusX into it, but may later uninstall because if memory serves me correctly, it can ONLY be installed into FSX but will have to check the licensing agreement thing on that. I haven't flown a whole lot yet, but there may be a problem with the new CAIset guages working right or maybe it is the old ones not working right (will have to check which ones I'm using and where and recheck my installation of them).

I haven't made any changes to the cfg file for more FPS (if it's possible), but at the moment I do not feel I need to, so that's definitely a PLUS+ for Prepar3D.

Scott

I have tried a few of Wolfgang's gliders in Prepar3d, and have found some to have less visibility from inside the Virtual Cockpit, meaning, the cockpit reflection image is a bit too heavy or dark (this can be corrected to one's taste by changing the darkness of the alpha channel of the image). Does anyone know if this is the case for other FSX aircraft? Aerosoft's DiscusX Virtual Cockpit doesn't seem to be affected that I have noticed, but I lightned it up a long time ago.

Scott