Catalina Redux?

KentV

With the DeHavilland Twin Otter being retooled by Aerosoft (and I WILL buy it), it begs the question: I wonder if Mathias and the team would ever consider updated their already wonderful PBY Catalina...

Kent

Why should they update the Catalina? On the Twin Otter you could easily see it's age in the cockpit, but the Catalina's cockpit looks really good in my opinion. The systems aren't toooo bad either. What are you missing in it?

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

There are no plans for that. As emi said mainly because we feel the product is still very competitive and creating a newer and more expensive version would just not be a good commercial decision.

We are still very proud of the engine systems and the way the engine has to be used in realistic modes.

No disagreement there....it continues to be a great bird. Just seems like it doesn't fly like the "heavy metal" it is. I'd think it would be more heavy-feeling....but that's just a guess on my part.

Thanks for replying, Mathijs!

Regards,

Kent

If you take a look at those reallllllly big elevators and not to tiny ailerons on the Cat it explains a lot why this does not feel like "heavy metal". The control surfaces on other big aircraft are much tinier in relation to the one of the Catalina, thus much weaker in the reaction of the aircraft to pilot inputs.