Manhattan X update

In a previous post (long long ago) I think I called it the "Spindizzy area" after James Blish's spindizzys, used in his Cities In Flight http://en.wikipedia....ities_in_Flight novels to lift whole cities (Including New York) off the ground and out to the stars. :)

Manhattan, as the city I was born and raised in is actually my favorite Aerosoft scenery, so I have always kept an eye open for an update/fix for this. If it turns out to be a problem at my end, I will be really miffed at myself!

• Aerosoft

Mathijs,

Thanks again for the update. I believe the floating buildings has been an issue reported early on when the scenery was first released and still exist with the proper settings. They are located mostly in central and west harlem west of where Columbia University is. There is also a small strip south of the 59th Street Bridge on the east side by the river. There really aren't that many notable buildings in harlem and it wasn't until another poster commented on them that I noticed.

http://forum.aerosof...ing#entry200565

Right, it's a pretty hard problem to solve technically (and will slow things down considerably as large square tiles need to be cut into many many more smaller ones) and that's why we decided previously not to solve it. Of course also because this is an issue that is not easy to see if you fly around, even from a helicopter the issue is largely hidden. As it was all a long time ago it forgot about that.

But I will discuss it with the developer.

I have the boxed version of Manhattan X v1.20 and I have the latest version of the Aerosoft Launcher yet I can't find the update for this product. When I try to register on the support database I don't see the Manhattan X product listed anywhere. Can someoen please help me get this update..

Awesome update. I did notice, however, that you guys never removed the Deutsche Bank building from next to ground zero. It was condemned and deconstructed floor by floor and no longer stands. Is there a particular BGL file that is associated with it or will it not be removed?

• Aerosoft

Awesome update. I did notice, however, that you guys never removed the Deutsche Bank building from next to ground zero. It was condemned and deconstructed floor by floor and no longer stands. Is there a particular BGL file that is associated with it or will it not be removed?

Do me a favor, make me an image.

Right, it's a pretty hard problem to solve technically (and will slow things down considerably as large square tiles need to be cut into many many more smaller ones) and that's why we decided previously not to solve it. Of course also because this is an issue that is not easy to see if you fly around, even from a helicopter the issue is largely hidden. As it was all a long time ago it forgot about that.

But I will discuss it with the developer.

Thanks Mathijs. The elevation issue should not be terribly difficult to fix. Through some tinkering I've managed to adjust the elevation of those buildings in Harlem but it isn't a true fix since this also means that a small area is below grade. I would assume the developer should be able to adjust these elevations pretty easily or at least extend the buildings to the ground with little or no impact to frames.

There is also a minor texture transparency bug with the Williamsburg bridge that was relatively easy to fix that the developer should be made aware.

Lastly it was reported a long time ago that the Angular top of the Citi Building is facing the opposite way (180 deg) than what it should. The building placement is fine - just the angled top is off.

Whatever happens, I still think its the most ambitious city scenery ever done for FSX. I doubt that anyone will ever even attempt to match it ever again, at least not in FSX, and it belongs in the library of anyone interested in flying the area. The default FSX NY just wont do after seeing this.

It also makes a great frame-rate testing tool, since if you tune your installation to run this at an acceptable clip with a large 3PD Kennedy airport also running in the area, you can pretty much take for granted that you can run anything in FSX. :ididit_s:

• 3 weeks later...

Manhattan X is truly one of the best add-ons ever for FSX. Period. I do have a question regarding the update...a while ago I saw a post requesting a more realistic night version of the Empire State Building. Is it possible this was updated in the latest release?

The real building is relatively dark at night except for the top which is brilliantly lit in 3 levels that can be done with different colors. Default is white unless they are celebrating something special. The original Manhattan X version is a bit too bright throughout. Otherwise, all other textures are great. Thanks!

• Aerosoft

Manhattan X is truly one of the best add-ons ever for FSX. Period. I do have a question regarding the update...a while ago I saw a post requesting a more realistic night version of the Empire State Building. Is it possible this was updated in the latest release?

The real building is relatively dark at night except for the top which is brilliantly lit in 3 levels that can be done with different colors. Default is white unless they are celebrating something special. The original Manhattan X version is a bit too bright throughout. Otherwise, all other textures are great. Thanks!

I think that was from a user and not from us.

I think that was from a user and not from us.

Yes it was a user request, thanks for the reply. I was just seeing if by chance you were planning to update the building per the request.