Flying the Bronco

obie311

I know we have some former and possibly current military pilots/aviators on this forum so maybe they can help me.

Not having a Dash One for the Bronco I was wondering about proper take-off procedure. I did a cursory look at OV-10Bronco.net and found the checklists but nothing else.

With the condition lever full forward(T/O-Lndg) and using 1/2 flaps and Vr of 100Kias, I have a hard time getting out of short runway without triggering the yellow torque lights. I bring the power back as soon as I have a little altitude, decent airspeed of about 120Kias, positive rate, wheels up, and flaps up. I then bring the condition levers back to normal flight.

Is this acceptable or does the short spurt of "yellow" torque damage the engines?

The other thing that I mentioned earlier: Any info or links on understanding the ILS Gauge and the Gyro compass with VOR/TACAN & ADF needle would be appreciated. It would make a nice addition to the included pdf reference.

Thanks in advance.

Obie311

For a few minutes its ok to overtorque the engines.

They will wear down faster offcourse, but they will last longer than if You don´t manage to clear those trees at the end of the runway ;)

The ILS gauge is quite easy to use.

Tune the ILS frequency on the NAV radio, found on the right sidepanel.

Set the ILS course on the ILS gauge.

The bars will show your localiser and glideslope deviation - make them form a cross and You are following the ILS.

The small aircraft shows Your intercept angle to the ILS i.e beeing right on the ILS course, the aircraft will point straight up.

The VOR, TACAN & ADF needles on the gyro compass simply shows the direction to the station.

If Your turn until the needles points straight up, then You are flying directly towards the station.

The TCN/VOR switch on the left side of the main panel selects whether the source for the needle is Tacan or VOR.

Finn

• Upvote 1

Thanks Finn for your succinct reply. I appreciate all the hard work you and your fellow developers have put into this unusual aircraft. I was coming back from a camping trip in the Sierras last year and saw a Calfire Bronco at the Kernville airport along with a contingent of woodland firefighters living in tents on the airfield. Nice looking bird.

Your Bronco is my first Aerosoft purchase and it won't be the last. I am anxiously awaiting the Van Nuys airport scenery package. It is my home field and quite an interesting and busy place. Great history. I recommend the DVD 16 Right for all the people involved in the project.

One last question... Is there a way to make a popup on the Gyro Compass gauge? I would like to scrutinize it's busy face closer while in flight without losing that fantastic peripheral view out the cockpit. It looks like it's basically an RMI but there might be a DME function to it as well.

Regards,

Obie

financially ground RW aviator

• Upvote 1