How hard is it to fly online? (IVAO or VATSIM)

Guest cptawsom

Guest cptawsom

Unfortunately, I'm afraid, my online IVAO experience, may come to an end before it even begins.

During the last two weeks, I registered myself on IVAO, downloaded its software (ivap, the-eye), and read their manuals.

And yesterday, I installed it.

I was completely disappointed:

a. While for many months I had made my FSX rock-solid from crashes, mainly by using always the newest FSUIPC module from Pete Dawson (and to a secondary degree using the Vista uiautomationcore.dll), ivap has an abysmal behaviour on my system -> CTD, CTD and again CTD, even if is not started, just installed.

b. I had also managed to find a good tradeoff between detail and fps (even with the FXAA Post Process Injection renderer) using Bojote's tweaking tool. Again ivap proved to be a tremendous fps hog, even if is not started, just installed.

c. MTL and all its liveries, have lengthened considerably (maybe plus 20sec) my FSX initial load times, even if I have an SSD.

Any suggestions would be welcome and helpful.

If I cannot solve the above, I may have to turn to VATSIM instead, and hope that their software is much better.

PS: I only tested the above with the PMDG 737NGX. Also ivap was running in-process with FSX (full screen), and on the same computer.

PS2: Using ivap as a separate process, is not an option, because without having FSX in full screen, there is no immesion in the simulation. Also using it on a second computer, is not an option, as there is no room on the desk I'm using for simming, for my laptop and its mouse (I don't use touchpads).

PS3: Have never tried Kosta's tweaking approach, because I think it is intended for more powerful systems than mine. However, if you do not feel this is the case, please say so.

PS4: System specs:

i7-860 @ 2.88GHz

nVidia 9800GT 1GB

16GB RAM

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

Intel 520 240GB SSD

Resolution used for FSX -> 1920x1080x32