Flight Calculator mixing up crosswind and headwind

CoolP

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I know. Thanks for the gift of the Flight Calculator, Aerosoft. :)

However, it seems like the wind calculations mix up the crosswind component and the headwind one.

Runway Crosswind

MODE | WND | XWC

Entering some example values.

Wind direction 290

Wind speed 5

Course (runway) 290

should lead to 5 knots headwind, right? Well, it shows zero headwind and 5 knots (right) crosswind.

post-29414-0-32482400-1339949221.jpg

Wind direction 290

Wind speed 5

Course (runway) 200

should lead to a crosswind of 5 knots from the right. It shows 5 knots tailwind.

post-29414-0-93991100-1339949219.jpg

I first thought about an error when entering the data, but even if I pick the example values from the manual, the two components are mixed up. Here's the picture from the manual.

post-29414-0-07233900-1339949323.jpg

And here's what I'm getting when entering the same data. Note the mixup of the last two values.

post-29414-0-37684400-1339949324.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or is the wind calculation a bit off? :unsure: The app runs as admin on Win7 64bits. But I've also tried it on another system. Thanks for your help.

I guess the error manifests itself in the way that the current calculator returns data with an offset of +90 degrees. So a tailwind condition gets shown as some left crosswind. A left crosswing then becomes headwind, a headwind becomes right crosswind and a right crosswind becomes tailwind.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Running the sample problem from page 21 of the manual produces results that are mapped as the inverse of the two results. That is, headwind is in the crosswind box and vice versa. You can see the correctly mapped results in the sample from the manual.

Good catch by the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just a sim driver, but I think I'll get one of those devices too. It may have problems on the crosswind approach with warp2 (as to Mr. Spock), but that setup is just nice to have.