HUEY X - Dials at an angle in the VC

Timm

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post this small little problem. I have noticed in the VC of the Huey X that some of the dials have been placed at different angle on the panel. Would this be correct or is this an error? Timm

post-6871-0-30289900-1339185575_thumb.jp

Found the Answer over at Hovercontrol

A number of different aircraft do it so that at a quick glance if all the needles are horizontal they are in limits and easier to tell if one is not horizontal and therefore incorrect or out of limits. If they had the gauges at the correct angle you would have to look at each gauge individually to check its within limits. It's an easier way of doing it rather than re-designing the gauge and re-calibrating it. It's just to aid the pilot in checking the gauges.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Right you are, Timm. And that screw you see at about the 4:30 position is what you loosen in the real thing to tweak the guage angle. When I was a crew chief on Hueys in Viet Nam (70-71), this was routine. Having the non-flying pilot (in cruise) loosen the screw (which took tension off a band around the guage), twist the guage to line up the needle at 9:00 and then tighten the screw was the only thing we'd trust a pilot for with a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Hi Herman,

Thanks for your reply on this subject. I'm always interested in reading these little story which sometimes never get told. Timm

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for the tip on the Hovercontrol site. I had not heard of them before and I'll have to take a look. You did a good job on a search to find that item about turning the guages.

They never told us about turning the guages in school. It was something I only learned about on the job.

Another fun one was one of the pressure guages (fuel I think, which you can see on the upper left of your screen shot). On US Army Hueys, the guages had internal labels, unlike the labels on the panel as seen in HueyX and in your picture. This particular gauge had a button on the back that was accessable through the radio compartment. That's the "door" on the upper half of the nose. By pushing the button, the guage would cycle through several labels on the face over the word "Pressure" so it could read "Fuel Pressure", "Oil Pressure" or our favorite, "Water Pressure". We'd change it and wait to see how long it took for the pilots to notice.

Hi Herman,

Thanks again for another little bit of aircrew history. I have added both of your little bits over on HC as am sure will get some interesting reading. Going back to the Huey I fly the"We Were Soldiers" as you might have gathered I did this texture as I'm a great fan of the film and just love the Huey scenes. Here a shot of her, I have also re-done the start-up window to show my own aircraft as the default one had the German version showing.Timm

post-6871-0-38478600-1339267658_thumb.jp

• Deputy Sheriffs

That's a nice touch with "own aircraft" in the two windows. How did you do it, Timm?

First off you will need 2 seperate shots of your Huey one in a COLD state and other in Ready.(Try and not move your camera position) Once taken just resize these in windows paint to 722 x 360. The orginal image used is called "State" and can be found here C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Rotorcraft\Aerosoft_Bell UH1D\panel\UH1_systems. This is where your finished image will go. Just remember to do a backup of the orginal first.

COLD & DARK

coldgc.png

READY TO GO

readyg.png

Open the COLD image first in paint and extend the frame down and fill in BLACK. This is where the next image will go.

coldui.png

Open up the READY image in a new paint and copy over to the COLD, and move into place. I used the GRID to get the correct gap between the two images. Once in place just CLOSE IN the right and bottom edges to that there is NO WHITE gaps showing.

state1o.png

Now open up the ORGINAL "STATE" image and copy the small red X over to this new image.

stateu.png

CLOSE button added

state1.png

This should now be saved as "State" in Bitmap Image (.bmp) as this will replace the original one. All you need to do now is add the two text commands two the image and your done. I used my PAINTSHOP to do this and added some shadow.

state1.png.

Hope this will help anyone wanting to have ago.

Timm

• Upvote 1