iPad apps for FSX and flightsimulator enthusiasts

mopperle

• Deputy Sheriffs

Since I got an iPad a few days ago I started looking for apps that could be used together wit FSX (and its addons) or as standalone apps usefull for us flightsimmers.

Searching the Appstore and various websites I came across a lot of apps. So maybe it is a good idea to start a topic, where everybody can post a report about an app he/she is using.

This should not be a simple listing of available apps, but a short review, maybe with some screenshots.

And if this topic is interesting enough it might be pinned ;)

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

So here is my first review:

FS Calc, a fuelplaner for iPad and iPhone

What do you get:

It is an app in MCDU style (screenshots below), that allows you to enter some variables to calculate fuel. Also with a internet connection you can load METAR data.

According to the developer accurate profiles are used. The app comes with profiles for the Boeing 737 (600/700/700WL/800/800WL/900/900WL). Additional profiles can be bought for the 767 and MD11

The look&feel is nice and handling is easy, using the same method like in CDUs of wellknown addon aircrafts.

How does the calculation work and how accurate is it?

This is a very difficult question to answer, as I'm not a real world pilot nor have I access to real world aircraft data about fuel consumption.

So I used the very detailed instructions on fuel calculation that can be found in the 2nd tutorial for PMDG's 737NGX, written by Ryan Maziarz, based on real world data.

The flight I calculated looks like this: EHAM to LOWI (alternate EDDM), FL 390, no weather

You start on the mainscreen, selecting the aircraft

Then you calculate the distance to fly and transfer it to the fuel page:

On the fuel page you can enter headwind, CI, ZFW and cruise altitude

Then you click on LSK2L to go to the "Extra Fuel" page to enter the data:

Going back to the fuel page you now have the amount of fuel to load.

And this was in my case 4000 lbs below the very detailed calculation out of the PMDG tutorial. Only after playing with the variables on the Extra Fuel page I came very close to the PMDG data.

The reason is that it is absolutely not transparent how values are being calculated in FSCalc. In the PMDG tutorial for example it is explained in depth, how much fuel is being burned during taxi, while APU is running, and many more.

So the lack of those details makes it IMHO difficult to calculate fuel that comes somehow close to real world data.

So my conclusion:

+ nice look & feel

+ easy to use

- calculation not transparent and IMHO not reliable

Price 4.99 USD (3.99 EUR), additional profiles 2.99 USD (2.39 EUR)

Rating 3 stars out of 5

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Otto,

Might want to do that in the Radio Chatter Forum rather than this one then.

It wont be a problem to pin it.

No problem, please move it.

One add-on I think looks really neat is AirTrack (http://www.ipobjects...oducts/airtrack), it's not designed specifically for use with Microsoft Flight Simulator but works with it. It works better with xPlane but I've also read that they are working on making some of these features with FSX. I don't have it, so I can't comment much about it. I would love to hear what somebody has to say about it. I think it's a little expensive, for me at least, especially since it's an "app" but it does seem to offer many features.

I use fsxfollow (http://www.positiong....com/fsxfollow/), a small little program that acts as a moving map. I can see my flight plan being displayed on a Google Map (I can choose map type). It's very simple with just a few features but let's me follow along while I fly. You can also see some basic aircraft information on the map and follow other people's aircraft. It's nice to see what's areas you pass, while one is flying.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ari nav pro. I use it for real life piloting, but it now interfaces with FSX. neat tool!

Are you talking about "Air Navigation Pro"? if so, please use the full name, it is easier to find. And some additonal Informations or at least a link are hihgly appreciated. ;)

• 3 weeks later...