Must have FSX Addons?

Wolfie

Hey everybody.

I've been playing FSX since launch and have gotten a plethora of addons, although they were all planes. I'm looking to expand my library of planes and just overall appearance. If there's anything to improve the scenery, weather and just overall look of the game worldwide I'd love to hear about it. I know about REX, but I see multiple download links and I don't know which one to get (pardon my noobness) so if anyone could provide a DL link to the most recent/best looking REX version I would be really appreciative. Also, do GEX and REX work well together? I don't know if REX modifies ground scenery or not.

Anyway, any links to excellent quality freeware planes that you've really enjoyed of any type would be appreciated. Some payware planes are fine, but my overall budget of addons is 100$.

Thanks in advance guys.

Here are the addons I already have:

Aerosoft F-16

Aerosoft Seahawk & Jayhawk

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh my. I just noticed the FSX section. Really sorry if this is in the wrong place and feel free to move the thread if needed.

All you need to do is hunt through this and other forums. One cup of coffee latter you will have a list of essentials. No reason to answer this kind of question again and again.

REX is simple - new version REX Essentials

GEX works with REX just fine

Everything else depends on where and how you fly. But you don't give that information. `Worldwide` doesn't cut it.

Finally with a budget of $100 the first thing you should look to buy should be more RAM for your computer, or an upgrade to graphics card, power supply - or better still ,CPU.

No point adding a saddle to a sloth. As usual, we don't get the information so it's once again impossible to provide more specific advice, even in the wrong forum.

• Upvote 1

Hello Wolfie,

don't be upset about Snave's rude welcome - you have to get used to it unfortunately. Simplest deal is to hit the ignore Button ^_^

As Snave said, you can find all answers in numerous forums, however I know the approach being new and be overwhelmed by the offer and therefore very thankfull to get a few tips..

Must Have Addons (don't looking about your 100$ margin here):

Scenery/Environment (all addons work well together)

GEX (replacement textures)

UTX (replacement textures and GPS roads, sees and coastlines)

FSGlobal (mesh, means higher resolution data for mountains etc. highly recomended, however you'll find several freeware meshes, e.g. for the alps. FSGlobal covers the whole world)

Weather

REX or AS2012. I have both weatherengines, but prefer AS2012!!!

planes:

PMDG, especially the latest 737 NGX

A2A, they just released the P51 Mustang

for more General Aviation: RealAir Duke maybe

AeroSoft Catalina is also a highly recommended Oldtimer!

This should give you a first start, way over your beginning budget ^_^

Given the limited budget and the lack of knowledge of the system and the simmer, I think much of your advice is highly inappropriate. you recognise the budget, yet still feel inclined to proffer suggestions when you have absolutely no more knowledge about the simmer than I?

Which of us, I wonder, is actually being more helpful?.

• Upvote 1

Which of us, I wonder, is actually being more helpful?.

simply let the user decide.

Its your way to be rude and refuse any help.

It is my way to be hopefully helpful.

Simply a matter of each owns personal opinion ...

• Upvote 1

First of all, I really appreciate your help, guenseli. Indeed it is overwhelming and I'm relatively new to the forum, and I really appreciate your helpful and friendly manner. I do apologize for not posting my system specs earlier, but I posted this thread relatively late at night and it slipped my mind. Anyway, here are my specs, if anyone else wants to recommend anything.

AMD Radeon HD 6800

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz

4 Gigs of RAM

64-bit Windows 7

I also apologize for not posting what scenery I'd like to replace. Mostly North America and Europe, but NA is the priority. I really appreciate the kind advice, and even the blunt advice is welcomed.

Guest cptawsom

1. 4GB of RAM? DDR3-1333 is very cheap these days, it will never cheaper, and it is an investment -> it lenghtens the lifetime of your system.

2. After that, the first thing IMHO you need to have in your FSX, before everything else (weather engine, elevation-mesh data, landclass, textures, sceneries-airports etc.), is serious and of good quality aircraft, for example, for glass cockpit jet airliners (including but not limited to):

- PMDG 747-400X

- PMDG 737NGX

- PMDG MD-11X

PS: I'm not including the original AirbusX because it was completely unflyable (without Joshua Che's 0.86f FBW) (nose dives, steering off the runway during a take-off roll, etc.). The upcoming extended edition might be good though. We'll have to wait and see.

PS: I'm not including the original AirbusX because it was completely unflyable (without Joshua Che's 0.86f FBW) (nose dives, steering off the runway during a take-off roll, etc.). The upcoming extended edition might be good though. We'll have to wait and see.

I must be one of the very few who has had no issues like that with the Airbus X :lol: :lol:

I would say with the money, perhaps 2GB more RAM (the more the merrier) ;)

ANY PMDG product. They are brilliant.

If you want something a bit less complicated the QualityWings 757 is a good choice.

Any of the carenado stuff for your small propliners.

For scenery,most aerosoft stuff is good or Flytampa are good.

AES, is a good addition to the experience.

Hope this helps a wee bit :P

Thanks a lot for the help guys, really appreciated. My big thing is I'm not the commercial jet type guy. I like some commercial jets (like Learjets or along the lines of an MD-80) but I am really all for military or one or two man type things. Like ti Vietnam era onwards.