Need some big time help from the community....

KyleD

Hey guys, I've never had to do this before, but I must ask the community for some big-time help on this one. I have recently encountered multiple issues in FSX and need some help resolving them. I cannot find/think of anything in particular that might be causing the issues I am having, and everything that has come up in "search" does not relate (granted there may be something I missed as there are thousands of threads). I am trying to avoid a clean install, as a I have a very large number of add on aircraft and scenery, though I realize that is what it most likely will come to. I will break this into three parts:

1. What the issues are.

2. What I have installed recently/what I have installed/system specs.

3. What I have tried so far.

This is a very long post, but if you have time please read it, and ANY, ANY help whatsoever, thoughts, or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

1. What the issues are.

These problems started less than a week ago, and I have been testing ever since, doing multiple flight and scenarios and coming up with these same issues.

Description: FSX loads normally. Aircraft selection, flight plan, fuel/payload, time and day on the main menu work fine. Flight startup is completely normal. Now, sitting on the tarmac is where the issues start. First, I can control any buttons, rotary, two/three place, and click to open most 2-D panels. Sometimes though, I cannot right click to bring up the top-bar menu. When it does work, if I access any of the places in the top-bar, and come back to FSX, I get texture bleeding, where objects repeat themselves, disappear, and get black/purple boxes on the ground, and all autogen disappearing, all of that with the movement of view. Also, I sometimes get a skeleton aircraft at this point. A side note to this is that some 2D panels no longer work, for instance Aerosoft's Katana 4x, I can no longer bring up the menus besides the main Shift+3 menu.

Another time I have experienced this issue is coming into payware add-on airports and standard FSX airports . FSX will lock up around 8-15 miles out and the skeleton aircraft/texture/object bleed begins. Now, the interesting thing is that I have tried going into scenery from three different developers all with the same effect, using different aircraft, so I do believe it is a larger problem than with 3 DIFFERENT developers. Examples of test flights I have done recently that have yielded similar results at three different scenery developer's add-ons are UK2000 Manchester (registered active version), UK2000 Glasgow (Demo version), Aerosoft Friedrichshafen X, Aerosoft Nice Cote D'Azur, FSDreamteam Ft Lauderdale, and FSDreamteam KLAX. This also applies to default FSX airports, for example it all happened on a flight just now into standard FSX KATL.

2. What I have installed recently/what I have installed/system specs.

From the past 2 months I have installed:

Scenery

AES 2.23 update

Tropical Sim TUPJ

LatinVFR MDSD

Manhattan X

ORBX PNW w/KCMW, CEN4, 2S1, KHWM, KPDX city

Drzewiecki Design EKRN and Krakow Balice

Aerosoft German Airports 3

Aerosoft Holiday Airports

Aerosoft's PANC (installed the new update only)

Aircraft

ORBX Bob (if that even counts)

Freeware JN-4D Jenny

Nemeth AS 350

What I already have installed and have had over the course of the years since FSX came out is rather extensive by now (if the wife found out the true extent I would "disappear" bomb.gif ), so I will highlight the main points including possible suspects.

For scenery I have the majority of what Aerosoft and FSDreamteam offers, a few FlyTampa, Tropical Sim, LatinVFR, and a few freeware AFCAD's. I can't really see this being an issue with an aircraft, so I will skip those, as these issues have occured in all different aircraft from different developers from Aerosoft and PMDG to the CLS MD-81/81, to Carenado and A2A, to even with default FSX aircraft.

For utilities I have FSUIPC non-registered, MyTraffic 2010 version 5.3b, Aerosoft's AES, version 2.23, FSDreamteam's GSX, A2A Accu-Feel, and Active Sky 2012. I feel the issue may lie in one of these, but I am not sure.

I have no FSX.cfg tweaks whatsoever, I have not changed my drivers or added/removed any hardware, it is all factory fresh, I have run through a full virus scan (Norton 360 registered), and keep the HD clean and defragmented. This computer is strictly for FSX, and the only other programs I have on it are office, itunes, Google Earth, Chrome, and Firefox.

System specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel I7-2600 3.4 GHz

8gb RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT545 1gb

FSX Gold, Acceleration IS installed so it is up to SP2, with standard installation inside the Program Files(x86) folder.

3. What I have done so far.

Besides testing on multiple aircraft and airports, payware, freeware, and default, I removed a few of the new addon airports like the UK2000 scenery and their common files, all to no avail. I also deleted my FSX.cfg and started FSX again to allow it to create a new .cfg file. The only actions I took afterwards were changing some key assignments and re-adding MyTraffic to the FSX.cfg. Otherwise, straight up brand new .cfg. Did not work, same issues still persist.

Well, that's where I am at right now. If you are reading this sentence I want to sincerely thank you for at least taking the time to read this, and seriously, ANY thoughts and ideas are welcome, no matter if you think they might be stupid. I really want to get this figured out, because I can't. I have NO idea why this just started. It's important to figure out, because in the event I DO have to do a full uninstall/reinstall, I need to know what it could be, and try to avoid the situation again. I have been using FS since the '90's and I have never encountered these types of problems before. Thank you very much for taking the time, and please let me know what you guys think.

P.S.- After proof-reading this, it is a book, so if you get all the way through thank you again.

Yes, sorry! I don't know what I was writing so early in the morning. I meant the graphic driver version. What graphic card do you have? Have you tried using a different version.

Your driver seems an older one, perhaps try the latest driver.

Sounds to me like the graphics card is being overloaded. Could be caused by a bad install of the graphics driver. What Id try first is remove the existing driver, reboot, run CCleaner to get rid off all registry entries left by the old graphics driver then reboot, run CCleaner a second time to make sure its got everything and then download and install the latest driver for your card. Long winded but its worth doing. Also, you could download MSI afterburner. It will alow you to monitor temperatures and usage of your graphics card. Maybe its getting too hot which is causing graphical issues? Could also just be your card is failing and needs to me RMA'd.

Also its not the best of places to install FSX to Program files. Windows 7 and its write permissions on Program files are problematic to FSX.

• Upvote 1

Thank you VERY much for your replies. It is an Nvidia GeForce 545. On the Nvidia Drivers website it shows the latest driver with the 545 as a supported card as 304.12 WHQL. I will do as you both suggested, I will remove the current driver, run CCleaner twice, and then install the new driver. It's strange that this has now just started, I have had this computer for about 4 months and have not had the issue before. I think I will also download the MSI afterburner just to see if it is running high on temp. I'm sincerely hoping I don't have to go the RMA route, but if it needs to be done it needs to be done. Hopefully it works with the driver change, I will report back, and any more ideas or insights are definitely welcome.

I had a similiar problem, does your FS look like this when it happends?

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/54376-zurich-szenerie-grafikproblem/

The thread is in German but you can see the graphic problem I had.

A different driver fixed the problem.

Let us know how you got on. I would do what Matt suggested, a clean uninstall is a good idea, he is quite good at pointing in the right direction, I was able to solve a problem thanks to his help before ;-)

• Upvote 1

I didn't see any reference to DX10 in your text..... :)

Is there any chance you have DX10 preview selected? If yes, try unchecking it and try to forget the existence of that button!

-- Also --

Please go into your fsx.cfg file and add the following line under the GRAPHICS section:

HIGHMEMFIX=1

Hope I helped you!

It sort of does look like that, but that van and those clouds would multiply hundreds of times if I panned my view. When I grab time tomorrow I'm definitely starting with the driver change.

@JPetroSS- NO WAY using DX10, I didn't put that because I don't even think about that, I tried it once back when FSX came out and it was awful, messed up the graphics something horrible. What does HIGHMEMFIX=1 do? (I trust you I'm just curious)

It sort of does look like that, but that van and those clouds would multiply hundreds of times if I panned my view. When I grab time tomorrow I'm definitely starting with the driver change.

That's exactly what would happen after time to me, and then when you pan around everything starts to multiply... you can't see that so well in that screenshot but I exactly the same display problem.

@JPetroSS- NO WAY using DX10, I didn't put that because I don't even think about that, I tried it once back when FSX came out and it was awful, messed up the graphics something horrible. What does HIGHMEMFIX=1 do? (I trust you I'm just curious)

I suggest you try this tool, not to fix your problem but for overall performance improvement: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html - it analyses your .cfg and makes recommendations and also explains each performance improvement, including the HIGHMEMFIX=1 in forum.

I don't know what's wrong with the formatting on this page, it's one big block of text but here is more information:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/281538-the-bp0-conclusions/

Keep us updated

So I downloaded and installed the driver from the Nvidia website, removed the old, ran CCleaner twice, installed the new, added HIGHMEMFIX=1 to my FSX.cfg, and freakin' low and behold...........

:bow_down2_s::dancing_s::cheers_s:

After 3 small flights I ran into NONE of the issues I had before, so a HUGE thank you to all of you!!! I have to head back in to work tonight, but tomorrow I am off in the afternoon, and I will test it further using the exact same circumstances as before when I ran into the issues, though as from these 3 quick tests, I am pretty sure I will not experience them again. Again, thank you very much guys for reading, responding, and helping me out with this. I am a little surprised that it was as simple as a new driver, as the old one was working fine before. I am assuming something happened recently, through a new install or update, whether on my computer or in FSX, that might have started the issues. Either way, I'm glad it seems resolved, and I have you all to thank for that. Thank you.

I learned this from the PMDG forums and it solved the skeleton airplane problems for me........:)

• Upvote 1