350 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using MS FLIGHT?

• No, never downloaded
    • No, downloaded but removed
    • No, downloaded and still installed but not using it any more
    • Mwahhh.... very rarely
    • Yes, at least once a week
    • Yes, often
  2. 2. Did you buy any add-ons for FLIGHT!

I didn't download it it really held no interest to me from the moment it was know it would only cover one small part of the world that holds little/no interest to me. May well be a useful tool to bring new people into the FS world though, but the remains to be seen.

Never even downloaded it, I also read a lot about it but at release I realised that it was really not for me.

On the + side now FSX is really running well and with the tons of addons I bought I'm a happy simmer :D

I was curious and of course I installed it to see what was what. If it gets people interested and expands the flight simulater population, good. But personally I won't be purchasing any addons for it. Rather, I've uninstalled it and am saving up for a PREPAR3D license. The way Microsoft should have gone in the first place. Ooops.

Hi Mathjis!

It's good when a company like Aerosoft asks these questions, and more to its customers.

I have never downloaded Flight. And never will. I read enough of that want-to-be money-making software with no NAV-aids, no serious "world", lousy planes (some with no cockpit!), etc... I am surprised that Microsoft didn't make this game for it's X-box. What did Microsoft have in mind when developing this "console game", I don't know.

I have FSX at this moment. I usually fly heavies around the world. That's the reason I got the PMDG 747 and 737NG plus your AirbusX apart from other jets. If I want to fly slow and low, I use ORBX scenery and the Carenado stuff.

I did try the X-plane 10 demo and disliked it. Really. The future, in my honest opinion? P3D.

I'm a type of guy that looks a lot in forums, reads e-magazines (such as FLIGHT!) and other media before I make a decision. X-Plane 10 for me is still miles to go for a great sim (flight dynamics are really bad in my opinion).

If I change sim (I really am in no rush) will be when P3D will get it's v2.0 out to the market. Or maybe v3.0. It depends on add-on developers.

All in all, Microsoft Flight is basically a "console game", and I don't have consoles or buy those games. I like serious flying -by the way, I'm looking forward to your full AirbusX!

So, Mathjis, In my opinion, don't abandon P3D. There are a lot of users going into that platform. Loads of them. I believe it's the future of flight simulation.

Regards,

Andrew

• Upvote 2

Did not download have not been tempted, from extensive reading about the product it just has nothing that I want from a simulator, ie ATC,real weather, AI or for that matter an airliner. If they introduce some heavey metal and somewhere I can fly to then maybe I would reconsidder.

Downloaded it once. It was kind of appealing... the graphics were decent, but I can never support a product that is grounded on microtransactions. I'm also looking for a bit more depth in a flight sim. FSX/9 happens to deliver me the world with addons in which I can touch every switch--Flight doesn't have that.

• 2 weeks later...

I only watched Eric McClintock's (FSBreak) extensive tryout video and I had seen enough. Some of the Maule's features looked interesting and the interactive checklist was a nice touch, but that's about it. Never downloaded it and never will, because I don't even want to give Microsoft the illusion of thinking that I would be interested in a game like that. It's simply nothing to bother with for someone who prefers the A2A/PMDG kind of simulation depth. Aircraft without cockpits? No worldwide scenery? No weather simulation? In combination with that locked out 3rd party market it's a friggin' joke!

I was really excited for Flight. I think most of us Flight Sim enthusiasts were. The game isn't bad, it's just how it was handled. We get two starting prop planes that can't cap 200 knots, and if people like me who want to go faster, we have to pay for payware that isn't of payware quality. No cockpits at all is a bummer, and being limited to one island isn't what I would exactly call ideal. I know that the game is free, and for what it gives for free is more than most other games. However, I was expecting a flight simulator that was an updated version of FSX, where we could add our own addons and be put into an even more realistic situation. Flight just didn't provide any of that. Is it pretty? Absolutely? Is it lacking? Absolutely. That's not to say it's bad, and for freeware it's excellent... it's just not what I wanted. If they released a proper sequel to FSX, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

The above reply kind of spells it out. For those who have tried it and even like it and have hopes for it, a place needed to be found where it could be discussed without the partisanship and high emotions that the issue seems to raise.

In many forums, even mentioning Flight seems to be asking for a fight of some sort, so its not too surprising that people who have found an interest in it tended over time to gravitate to venues where others of a like mind could feel comfortable to speak without fear of disruption from those who cannot abide positive discussion of the subject.

• 4 weeks later...

Downloaded it and purchased the Hawaiian Package along with the Maule so I could give the cargo missions a try....was extremely disappointed in the way Microsoft went with it.At first it was kind of "novel" what with the missions but soon you notice that their world is "dead"....no atc,no traffic,no planes sitting at the airfields etc,then came the "crash kiddies" who were constantly trying to knock you out of the sky with their aircraft.At this point it is nothing more than an arcade flyer game and the only reason that it is still taking up hard drive space on my system is because I bought the additions mentioned but I no longer play it and will never spend another dollar on anything for it.

• Upvote 1

I suspect I reflect the views of those of many of us who did download Flight and used it for quite some time.

I got to level 20, completed virtually everything and then got bored.

MS has since released lots of similar planes, all without cockpits and still Flight has no helicopters, no jets, no airliners, no AI aircraft and very little scope as far as scenery goes. If you only download the basic game I'm sure you'd get fed up with the limited scope for flying (one part of Hawaii) pretty quickly.

It's not a sim, it's a game and I'm sure that's the reason why a lot of Aerosoft customers won't like it, or buy it.

As for me, well I may purchase the Alaska add-on but as far as I can gather even the new aircraft that comes with this scenery doesn't have a cockpit.

It's hard to believe that there are lots of people out there wanting loads of warbirds without cockpits so I do wonder if MS has anyone looking seriously into what its customers want!

MS: If you are bothering to read this, get your finger out and start work on FS11 - you know it makes sense!

I am only new to FSX and i have to say,AWESOME is the word i choose to describe having another sim to have fun with.I find these posts interesting though,you all seem passionate and loyal to FSX,which is a good quality although as much as i am getting drawn in by FSX and the challenges it brings i find MS FLIGHT puts a different set of cards on the table.Anyway i think it's fun and deffenently worth having on the market,the more practice the better right?

The interesting part is that most of these sentiments are the exact same ones expressed by the FS9 crowd when FSX was released! With flight only about 5 months old, it will be fascinating to see how things (and attitudes) evolve........

• Upvote 1

The interesting part is that most of these sentiments are the exact same ones expressed by the FS9 crowd when FSX was released! With flight only about 5 months old, it will be fascinating to see how things (and attitudes) evolve........

This is an interesting point; however, this is a somewhat different situation. I was on board with FSX from its beginnings. I left FS9 and never looked back. But I am not at all interested in FLIGHT!. The difference is that FSX was a true successor to FS9. We really lost nothing by upgrading; instead, we gained much. Some of our add-ons may not have been completely compatible, but it wasn’t long before much better add-ons became available for FSX. FLIGHT! is not a true successor to FSX by any means. It panders to a different market. I don’t think these attitudes toward FLIGHT! are likely to change much.

• Upvote 2

This is an interesting point; however, this is a somewhat different situation. I was on board with FSX from its beginnings. I left FS9 and never looked back. But I am not at all interested in FLIGHT!. The difference is that FSX was a true successor to FS9. We really lost nothing by upgrading; instead, we gained much. Some of our add-ons may not have been completely compatible, but it wasn’t long before much better add-ons became available for FSX. FLIGHT! is not a true successor to FSX by any means. It panders to a different market. I don’t think these attitudes toward FLIGHT! are likely to change much.

So you say, and I wont argue that point...... But there is still an active market and forums and many new scenery's etc for FS9 even all these years after the introduction of FSX. The arguments FS9 fans make are in many cases the exact same type of arguments being made against Flight. In fact, I have even seen some FS9 people make the jump to Flight instead, because they never felt they had, or needed to buy machines with the horsepower to run FSX in they way they wanted.

They might not agree about FSX being a "true" successor any than more than I suspect you would agree that Flight is a "true" successor.

Should Flight survive, and not be pulled by Microsoft because the market is to small to justify wading through many peoples hostility (And good luck finding any large company to wade into that now-proven morass ever again) then there is a non-trivial possibility that the program could rise one day as a "successor" to Fsx, at least for the next generation of simmers, who can accept it without the previous baggage of expectations.

Those numbers are growing as we speak, and they can be accepted into the sim community as another welcome part, or be rejected as not "true" simmers by way of not hewing to a single "Accepted" mode or style of play. This does not mean that the numbers will stop growing, or that other avenues will remain blocked.

Only time will tell.

So you say, and I wont argue that point...... But there is still an active market and forums and many new scenery's etc for FS9 even all these years after the introduction of FSX. The arguments FS9 fans make are in many cases the exact same type of arguments being made against Flight. In fact, I have even seen some FS9 people make the jump to Flight instead, because they never felt they had, or needed to buy machines with the horsepower to run FSX in they way they wanted.

They would not agree about FSX being a "true" successor any than more then you would agree that Flight was a "true" successor.

Should Flight survive, and not be pulled by Microsoft because the market is to small to justify wading through many peoples hostility (And good luck finding any large company to wade into that now-proven morass ever again) then there is a non-trivial possibility that the program could rise one day as a "successor" to Fsx, at least for the next generation of simmers, who can accept it without the previous baggage of expectations.

Those numbers are growing as we speak, and they can be accepted into the sim community as another welcome part, or be rejected as not "true" simmers by way of not hewing to a single "Accepted" mode or style of play. This does not mean that the numbers will stop growing, or that other avenues will remain blocked.

Only time will tell.

Very true that there is still a dedicated FS9 community. I can't argue with that. I just think that it's a bigger jump to consider FLIGHT! the successor to FSX than it is to consider FSX the successor to FS9. True, however, that only time will tell how the state of FS will evolve.