FSX | ORBX The World's First 2cm/pixel Airport!

Notable as a technical achievement and anything that pushes FSX limits is to be applauded. Very interesting to explore using the Orbx BOB add-on, I'm sure. And with some HD textures on an aircraft, it will be the setting for some incredibly real looking screenshots no doubt.

However, once you are flying in an aircraft ( FSX's raison d'être), all that fine detail is lost and its just another airstrip from above.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it a bit further, starting a flight in a high-end aircraft ( Catalina, Bronco etc ) from there would probably ramp up the immersion considerably, and that might carry over into the rest of the flight. So maybe there is an advantage to owning it that I had not considered.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks a lot guy's!! Yes indeed ... when going into the air all detail isn't seen but on the other hand ... once you are on the ground and taxiing and looking out of the window the experience is in my opinion one of the best i have had so far. The detail is out of this world and it looks almost real at some points ... what i was trying to bring across in this video is the detail we have now a days just using a flight sim and what the developers have pushed it to ... i hope we see more of this and even better considering hardware is getting cheaper and better to run all this stuff on ... don't forget that FSX is an oldie and has, as far as i know, the worst game engine ever designed for a game :)

• Aerosoft

Impressive indeed, but does it make sense? What's the next step? 1 cm? Would you see the difference? In fact have you ever seen an object 5 cm across from an moving aircraft? I flown today in the Super Cub and I nearly missed 3 traffic cones on taxi. 30 cm high and bright orange. And 3d.

So it's one of those nice things on a feature list, but not really useful. Can you imagine a serious airport like that? Schiphol would be (and I did check) close a terrabyte.

• Upvote 2

Impressive indeed, but does it make sense? What's the next step? 1 cm? Would you see the difference? In fact have you ever seen an object 5 cm across from an moving aircraft? I flown today in the Super Cub and I nearly missed 3 traffic cones on taxi. 30 cm high and bright orange. And 3d.

So it's one of those nice things on a feature list, but not really useful. Can you imagine a serious airport like that? Schiphol would be (and I did check) close a terrabyte.

And we don´t want to talk of a good performance here. It´s a nice to have feature on small VFR-airfields but an absolutely nogo at bigger airports

• Deputy Sheriffs

agreed ... but it does look impressive as you say Mathijs ... using this kind of detail on large international airports would be a killer and useless but for little VFR airports it's a nice little extra and for sure gives you the idea of a bit more realism imho ...

Yes, I somehow feel that Orbx have lost the plot a little. Where do they stop, at 'hairflow' for bee abdomens? Totally agree, the beauty is quickly lost once you start moving at a reasonable speed. I also feel 25-30 bucks for a tiny airfield is a bit steep, they'd do much better at half the price or 2 strips for that price.