CATALINA install problems and LINDA

rocky

I've just got the Aerosoft Catalina, which incidentally looks like a lot of fun. However, for some reason, it is not being recognised by LINDA running a VRinsight switch panel, and it shows a LUA error in the gui. Also, there was an error message that popped up directly on completion of the Catalina installation, unsure whether it has any relevance. If someone could please help with this I'd be grateful, cheers fellas.

I see there is another thread with a similar issue but which has not been resolved. I have no other issue AT ALL with any other aircraft, with installations or running with LINDA. It has been installed twice, with of course UAC switched off. I suspect the installation error is somehow directly associated with the LINDA failure.

BTW, I hope the absense of a reply to a previous post with this same issue does not offer any clues to the outcome of this problem.

Here are a couple of screen captures that I hope will help...

763325ww2.png

271406ww.png

• Aerosoft

I can not comment on LINDA as we have never used it and we can really only guarantee our products to work with a standard FSX. The error seems to indicate that FSCategories.xml has some errors in it. We have seen this caused by some addons that forget closing tags.

The error seems to indicate that FSCategories.xml has some errors in it. We have seen this caused by some addons that forget closing tags.

Thanks for the reply Mathijs, but what exactly does this mean? Why is there an error message and what do I have to do to correct the problem? Thanks...

BTW: I need to add that apart from the actual stick and throttle on my Warthog, none of the associated switches work either.

It means you FSCategories has a bad entry in it, or it just corrupt maybe? The only way you could really fix it is learn xlm and search through it looking for the entry thats missing its closing tags, alternatively try to repair FSX off the disc. Of course you could also try finding someone with the same addons as you installed into FSX and ask them for a copy of their FSCategories.xml file.

• Aerosoft

Thanks for the reply Mathijs, but what exactly does this mean? Why is there an error message and what do I have to do to correct the problem? Thanks...

BTW: I need to add that apart from the actual stick and throttle on my Warthog, none of the associated switches work either.

As said, the error is there because that section of FSX is not correctly installed. I think the FSX setup offers a repair option but that will most likely remove some of your changes. You can try to find that XML file on the FSX DVD's by opening the cab files.

You could open the XML with an XML editor, most will show missing tags etc with a color.

Hmm, well the LINDA situation appears to now be resolved, it was down to having to delete a lua script in the modules folder. However, I notice when I move to an external view, the left engine suddenly dies!!?? Could this be something to do with FSCategories.xml? I don't have a problem with any other addon, so I find it difficult to understand how it can be FSX and not this particular aircraft. Any help and guidance appreciated...

No, FSCatatories.xml is as far as I understand for missions. I noticed this error the other evening when Installing the Cat onto my "test rig" with a partial FSX install. But the Cat works fine copied from the test rig to both my P3D and FSX installs.

No, FSCatatories.xml is as far as I understand for missions. I noticed this error the other evening when Installing the Cat onto my "test rig" with a partial FSX install. But the Cat works fine copied from the test rig to both my P3D and FSX installs.

Cheers Matt, then in that case no great sweat. The only thing I have a problem with at the moment is this darn left engine cutting out when I switch views. It's not a double entry in the FSX controls or anything like that. I've checked FSUIPC with no obvious cause. It prevents me from actually flying! Any ideas 'me ol chum?

Howard,

Remember the Cat is a very complex and realistic simulation. The engines will not start and run correctly unless you have started them correctly. Make sure the fuel is turned on for both engines, mixture on the ground should be set to auto rich. Remember watch your CHT's, if the engines get too hot they will go bang so cowl flaps full open on the ground in a must. Also keep the rpm above 1000 as the sparkplugs will suffer carbon fouling.

Only a short reply as Im supposed to be working lol.

Howard,

Remember the Cat is a very complex and realistic simulation. The engines will not start and run correctly unless you have started them correctly. Make sure the fuel is turned on for both engines, mixture on the ground should be set to auto rich. Remember watch your CHT's, if the engines get too hot they will go bang so cowl flaps full open on the ground in a must. Also keep the rpm above 1000 as the sparkplugs will suffer carbon fouling.

Only a short reply as Im supposed to be working lol.

Hmm, not sure it's as simple as that. I can be on the ground, start the engines, change to an external view, the engines dies, change back to the VC and look out of the window and the prop is running again!?

The only idea here is, that you have a double button assignment or you use a keystroke e.g. "S" with double assignments.

Sure, you've checked FSUIPC and/or FSX assignings for that?

Also LINDA of course ... (shifted assignments?!)

The only idea here is, that you have a double button assignment or you use a keystroke e.g. "S" with double assignments.

Sure, you've checked FSUIPC and/or FSX assignings for that?

Also LINDA of course ... (shifted assignments?!)

Hi Guenseli, sure, the problem still exists without LINDA being used. I have checked FSUIPC and FSX control for duplicated assignments but I can't see any. However, what I have discovered is that if I start the DC3 with engines running and then swap aircraft, then it's fine... Maybe as Matt suggested, it's incorrect start up procedure. Either way, I will persevere with RTFM and if need be, I have a very simple work around. Thanks for your help fellas.

I Always start the Cat with a cold and dark 'pit. She's really not that hard to get running. This wont be the correct method but its the Matt Smith quick and dirtyâ„¢ method

Starting on the back wall:

1, Battery on,

2, Aux Generator on (this is like an APU sounds like a 2 stroke generator)

3, Fuel both

4, Mixtures full rich

5, Beacon on

6, Cowl flaps open

Cat_1.jpg

Engine Starting:

7, open throttle about an inch

8, Ignition switch to both

9, Fuel booster on

10, prime (up right down left)

11, starter (up right down left)

12, when engine starts adjust throttle to 1000 rpm

13, prime off (leave fuel booster on until engine warms up, very much in the same way you would have done on a car with a manual choke)

14, repeat for other engine

Cat_2.jpg

After take off:

Cowl flaps closed

Mixture auto rich or lean depending on altitude

Watch CHT I've destroyed many engines through letting CHT get too hot.

Remember the Cat does everything at 90 kts climbs cruises and descends if your in a hurry lol.

Edit: Once engines are running turn their generators on, and turn off the aux generator.

I Always start the Cat with a cold and dark 'pit. She's really not that hard to get running. This wont be the correct method but its the Matt Smith quick and dirtyâ„¢ method

Starting on the back wall:

1, Battery on,

2, Aux Generator on (this is like an APU sounds like a 2 stroke generator)

3, Fuel both

4, Mixtures full rich

5, Beacon on

6, Cowl flaps open

Engine Starting:

7, open throttle about an inch

8, Ignition switch to both

9, Fuel booster on

10, prime (up right down left)

11, starter (up right down left)

12, when engine starts adjust throttle to 1000 rpm

13, prime off (leave fuel booster on until engine warms up, very much in the same way you would have done on a car with a manual choke)

14, repeat for other engine

After take off:

Cowl flaps closed

Mixture auto rich or lean depending on altitude

Watch CHT I've destroyed many engines through letting CHT get too hot.

Remember the Cat does everything at 90 kts climbs cruises and descends if your in a hurry lol.

Edit: Once engines are running turn their generators on, and turn off the aux generator.

You're a gem Matt, thanks a lot matey.

No Problems Howard. Just remember watch your temps. Though its worth letting and engine blow up just for the effects :lol: The Cat flies quite nicely on one engine.

No Problems Howard. Just remember watch your temps. Though its worth letting and engine blow up just for the effects :lol: The Cat flies quite nicely on one engine.

Oh yes, I discovered that yesterday. I ended up having to ditch into the drink 10 miles shoty of Ketchikan! :lol: She's fast becoming the best $20 dollars I've spent for a long time.

Lol but the great thing is even ditching is a simple exercise. I've flown her from Hawaii Dillingham all the way down to Bora Bora. I was off work "sick" so had 24 hours to spare flying that far :lol:

She's fast becoming the best $20 dollars I've spent for a long time.

Indeed! The Aerosoft Catalina is a classic; one of the best add-ons ever produced for the MSFS series. By the way, just getting to grips with FSUIPC and LINDA myself , but I'm sticking with the default Cessna as my 'experimental' aircraft for now.