Freidrichshafen X EDNY

alehead

I love this little regional on Lake Constance, and as written in the product description by Mathijs, it really captures the flair of the airport...

There is one flaw, at least in my installation, and at least one other person on this forum...

There is a collection of trees at the end of Runway 24 that, in my mind, do not belong...

I took a few screenshots to illustrate the problem. Sorry about the trike, I hate it to be honest, but it is the default flight...

EDNY_24_trees_1.jpg

After reloading the scenery via the scenery database, I can reduce the number of trees, but still a few remain...

EDNY_24_trees_reloadlibrary.jpg

Here is an aerial view...

EDNY_trees_24_aerial.jpg

I tried using an exclude box in AFX (selecting only autogen to be excluded) but that had no effect at all. Perhaps the trees are not autogen placed?

I have Ground Environment Extreme Europe, for textures and landclass, but no mesh addons. I only really noticed them for the first time when I came in on 24, as all my other flights into EDNY so far had been onto 06 oddly enough...

Andrew

OK, after a little detective work to see if the airport scenery files or something else is causing the issue, I deactivated the scenery in the library. The trees were now gone, so it is possibly in the scenery files of EDNY_X...

I then systematically removed the bgls in groups of 10 files at a time, restarting FSX to see if there was any change at 24.

I tracked down the file cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.bgl. This would also explain why an exclude doesn't work... (which I tried as I said...)

Without it, I see no trees in the way of the runway lighting or in the way of approaching aircraft. Of course, the woodland to the North of the threshold of runway 24 is a little sparse...

So, my question to the developers: What is it about this file that causes the trees to be placed incorrectly in the vicinity of the runway?

For the time being, the Forestry Commission has been working on the woodland to the North of threshold 24, until such time as the bgl is repaired or something :)

Andrew

Shaun, that would be a large number of sceneries. And the issue should theoretically still be visible if I deactivate EDNY in the scenery library, which is not the case.

Renaming the bgl I listed above to .off or placing it elsewhere outside the scenery directory removes the rogue trees, but also a number of trees in the woodland area to the North of 06/24.

I can actually live with that, but I wonder if it is related to the slider for the airport. I have the airport scenery set to very dense or maximum, one or the other...

A

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm seeing just normal trees, with no manual adjustments of .bgl files. EDNY X is on top of VFR Germany 3 with no other landclass or terrain.

post-17951-0-24113700-1335587335_thumb.j

I don't use VFR Germany, only have GEXEu. "Switching" this file on or off controls the appearance or disappearance of the rogue trees.

What are your autogen settings for the scenery?

It could be a function of the autogen slider position. I haven't checked that out so far and will not be able to for a bit.

A

• Deputy Sheriffs

Nothing remarkable. Mesh @ 5m, water effects @ High 1X and the others full right.

I tried disabling VFR Germany 3 and the only effect was more trees in the vicinity but no diference with the airport tile. Speaking of the airport, is it above GEXEu in your scenery library?

• Deputy Sheriffs

We are almost 100% sure it has to be another scenery project that overwrites the data but we can not recreate this problem in our offices. Is it possible to let us know what is installed in 3rd party scenery?

I have three ORBX North America areas installed, so another thing I tried to do to reproduce the error by cycling them on and off. They have their own tree textures, so I thought maybe that could affect something. Except for changing some of the autogen buildings, there was no significant change and nothing seemed to be affected on the airport area.

Edit after reading Mathijs' post in #13: This was intented to supplement my earlier post showing that on my system, the problem did not exist. So, just to be clear, I posted the view in #5 showing that at least on my system, the tree problem reported by the OP was not an issue. I'd be happy to help in isolating the issue with sharing whatever info from my system would help.

But it is almost sure the problem is in there. You could also start by de-activating all but the one you got problems with.

Oh boy! :mallet_s:

Sorry Mathijs, I loved EDNY,it is one of my favorite sceneries but if deactivating them is the only way to find the problem I'll have to leave it as it is. It would take hours and hours deactivating sceneries and testing until find where the problem is.

It seems odd that the placement of the trees is random and that the file being called appears to be different (looking at the different types of tree when compareing my shots with Daniel's...)

Although not a solution per se, I can offer the workaround of disabling the single file cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.bgl. Rename it to cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.off or something or move it out of the scenery directory into a backup directory. The trees are then gone.

I would really like to know what exactly this little file is doing. It seems to be populating the woodland landclass to the North of the airport with trees. I turn it "off" and the woodland is thinned out, but at least I have no more trees on short final 24...

GEXEu is not scenery, just exchanged textures, there is no scenery library for GEXEu...

Andrew

OK

I disabled my entire 3rd party addon list... and tried a few configurations...

Disabling everything, including Ultimate Terrain X Europe, other than EDNYX and AerosoftAFD, I get:

EDNY_3rdpartyoff.jpg

Different trees, as UT X Europe is gone...

Now, I switched all the3rd party addon stuff back on, except EDNYX:

EDNY_3rdpartyon_EDNYXoff.jpg

No trees are placed in the "offending locations"

Now I reenabled EDNYX and upped the autogen to max:

EDNYXon_MAXagn.jpg

And to finalize this series, here is a screenshot of the same view, though with the file cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.bgl removed from the directory (I have it backed up in a different location):

EDNYXon_singlebgloff.jpg

If you ask me, it has something to do with this cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.bgl file... What autogen settings do you have Herman?

Andrew

EDIT: Just to clarify that the autogen setting on the last shot was back to my usual dense setting, and is not at the MAX setting that the picture above it displays. I also use a "number of objects per cell" line in the fsx.cfg to reduce the building and tree autogen for various slider settings, which has a positive effect on the appearance of the terrain, without built up areas having too many objects and thus causing choppiness...

Just to add, I tried Mathijs' suggestion of running with a new fsx.cfg, straight out of the box...

With the cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.bgl file active, I still have the trees at the end of 24...

Going back to my other workaround, as it is the only thing that works so far...

Andrew

EDIT: The new fsx.cfg I ran with had no max objects per cell tweak...

Thanks a lot for providing this workaround, Andrew. It's not what we expected but at least the scenery is flyable now.

I'll try it out and report back in case anything goes wrong.

• Deputy Sheriffs

In post #18, Andrew asked about my autogen settings. In the scenery tab, except for mesh @ 5m, water effects @ High 1X, the others are full right (left pix). Also, my cvxEDNY_WOOD-NORTH.bgl file is active.

Other relevant info is Win7 64 bit, nVidia GTX570SC 1280 MB RAM, FSX SP2 on a dedicated drive, latest video drivers.

I tried disabling VFR Germany 3 leaving only the default FSX Germany and the only effect was more trees in the vicinity of (but not "on") the airport with no diference on the airport tile (middle pix). Ojn the right is the same view with VFR Germany 3 enabled.

I also have have three ORBX North America areas installed, so another thing I tried to do to reproduce the error by cycling them on and off. They have their own tree textures, so I thought maybe that could affect something. Except for changing some of the autogen buildings, there was no significant change and nothing seemed to be affected on the airport area.

post-17951-0-54136100-1336104790_thumb.j

post-17951-0-73057200-1336104818_thumb.j

post-17951-0-16896100-1336104839_thumb.j

You're welcome Daniel!

I am glad that not only I can profit from this little workaround for the time being...

Thanks to Herman too... there is obviously some black magic going on with our systems Daniel, as other s are obviously not affected.

Thanks too Mathijs for looking into this. You need any more help, screenshots, or info on my setup, let me know, and I will pass it on...

A