Ground Enviroment X

JohnB777

I have a few question about Ground enviroment x, is it compatible with Aerosoft products(is Ground enviroment x europe compatible with mega airport frankfurt 2008, mega airport charles de gualle Paris, and mega airport munich and also german airports series, and the same for ground enviroment x USA and Canada)? I was also wondering is GEX(ground enviroment x) is comatible with the US Cities X series from Aerosoft.

Yes, it all works together. I'm not sure about USCities because I don't own that one, but all the others work. Just make sure addon airports are above GEX in your scenery library (if there are GEX entries, haven't checked it yet).

And: you can edit your post and correct mistakes so you don't have to post 4 times ;)

Thanks for the information, I was wondering becuase I will probably get GEX Europe(and maybe USA and Canada if I am impressed with Europe)and I have a few mega airports.

Hi,

GEX is a texture replacement package that replaces, for the area purchased/installed, the default FSX foundation set of ground texture tiles with much more realistic appearing and area-representative textures. GEX is a package of textures only, and does not incorporate its own landclass files (the mechanism by which FSX selects which textures will appear where [e.g.: urban textures in city areas, farmland or wooded etc. textures in more rural areas, stoneface textures in canyons, etc.]). Therefore, as a replacement texture set only, GEX is essentially compatible with most everything. Photorealistic scenery, however, will supersede foundation textures (which the GEX installed replacement set becomes), however this is the case whether the foundation textures come from the FSX default set or from a replacement set of textures such as GEX.

Because GEX simply replaces the default FSX textures, just like those default FSX textures they will not appear in the Scenery Library. After installing GEX, nowhere in the Scenery Library will you see a GEX entry of any sort. Again, GEX is not a 'scenery package' per se, but is instead a replacement texture tile set for the default foundation set of FSX terrain textures. Thus, there are no considerations regarding its placement in the Scenery Library.

I use both UTX and GEX for all their respective available areas, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. UTX compliments GEX and they work together to create a truly enjoyable and immersive flying experience. The GEX lineup also now includes GEX-APT (Atlantic & Pacific Tropics). Coupled with any specific scenery packages that you might have (such as Fly Tampa's St. Maarten and/or Grenadines Caribbean packages), you will feel that you are actually there! I use all of the above, including those two particular Fly Tampa packages; and the flying experience is very immersive and just great!

Go for it, you won't regret it!

Hope this helps, Blue skies- Rusty

Thanks for all the information everyone I am certain my next addon will be GEX Europe(and then the rest of the GEX series), I was also just wondering if before you install GEX(Europe, North America ect...), do you have to get rid of the FSX default textures and then install GEX or does GEX do that itself(I don't care about the FSX default textures so I will not create a back-up for the default FSX textures)? I am guessing it probably does it itself becuase it is not a freeware addon where you have to edit the .cfg's and do all kinds of other things to get it working.

Thanks for all the information everyone I am certain my next addon will be GEX Europe(and then the rest of the GEX series), I was also just wondering if before you install GEX(Europe, North America ect...), do you have to get rid of the FSX default textures and then install GEX or does GEX do that itself(I don't care about the FSX default textures so I will not create a back-up for the default FSX textures)? I am guessing it probably does it itself becuase it is not a freeware addon where you have to edit the .cfg's and do all kinds of other things to get it working.

Hi John,

No, you do not have to perform any pre-installation removals of default FSX textures. GEX incorporates all this into its installation process, and before replacing the default FSX textures, the GEX installation process asks if you want to backup the default textures to a separate location before proceeding with the replacement installation. It is a good idea to execute this backup when prompted by the GEX installation routine, and when you do so, GEX will then proceed to backup the original default textures as directed.

Cheers, Rusty

Hi, me again

Last but not least question, is GEX Series compatible with MyTraffic 2010? I know some scenery addons do conflict with addon traffic so just wondering if GEX did as well.

Hi, me again

Last but not least question, is GEX Series compatible with MyTraffic 2010? I know some scenery addons do conflict with addon traffic so just wondering if GEX did as well.

It wont affect it at all.

Does it matter what order I get the GEX series in like Europe first and USA second or does it? Becuase I am now getting Europe but then do I have to get Middle east first then USA or can I get them in any order?

Hi John,

Actually yes, the order that you install the GEX region packages *is* more critical. In fact, you should ensure that you install GEXNA (including any update patches available from Flight 1's site) *before* you install GEXEurope and GEXAFME. The latest version of GEXNA is v1.095, so ensure that is the latest version installed prior to installing GEXEurope &/or the others. If not, download the v1.095 update, and run it before proceeding with the other regions. These instructions are included in the printed manuals accompanying each of the sceneries (or in the .pdf versions if you download the scenery packages), but also take a peek at this reference from the publisher's support forums:

http://www.simforums...topic41898.html

There are a few reasons for this but, to put it in a nutshell, GEXEurope, GEXAFME and GEXAPT contain texture relationships that update the earlier GEXNA (USA & Canada) texture [relationships]. In a sense, if you were to install the earlier-produced GEXNA after installing the others (published later), you would be negating, practically undoing, those relationships between the regions & the common textures that those these regions share.

Hope this helps, Rusty

Okay, Thanks for the help everyone. So this is what I'll do, first I will get GEX USA/Canada and install it, then next I will get GEX Europe and then Mexico and the Carribean. I can't wait to see how nice it looks in the Carribean with GEX and Flytampa St. Maarten combo pack(the one that comes with SABA and St. Barth)!

Great John...go for it!! Best of luck & blue skies!

Rusty

[btw: You have mentioned GEX USA/Canada a couple of times now. I believe that the most recent edition of GEX for the United States & Canada region is called GEXNA (Ground Env. X North America). It is the latest GEX product for that region and it supersedes the previously published GEX USA/Canada package. Have fun, GEX is a terrific addon, and a "must-have" in my view.]

msfs_bn2islander_tffj_climbingout-l.jpg