Antarctica X and the brakes!

wingclip

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how to adjust the braking power in the Antarctica X program or FSX itself?

(Right now, they just keep going and going)

Since Antarctica X came out, I must have read more material about that add-on than any other I have.

I can't remember if I saw how to do that in a post in the forum, or in the manual, or additional reading material on some other site but I could swear that I read it somewhere.

In addition, I think that it was mentioned 'in passing' and was not the subject of the reading material at the time which makes it that much harder to find.

So does anyone have knowledge on how to increase the braking power? I know that they probably slide around a lot out there but my planes just don't stop for miles after landing unless I cut the engines.

So I'm not interested in keeping that "reality" if it's possible to change.

Thanks

Hi!

Sliding on the ground shouldn't be happening. There are basically only two types of land FSX knows: Solid land (normal braking behavior) and ice. Because of the VERY unrealistic behavior of ice we set the ground in Antarctica to solid land.

Where is this happening exactly and which aircraft are you using?

Bests,

Sascha

Thank You for the quick reply Sascha!

I haven't been in the Antarctica X program for at least 3 or 4 weeks, (the sliding started getting frustrating), so I've forgotten the exact details but I will recheck some of the locations. But I know for sure that one of them was the McMurdo station where there's a lot of buildings, (relatively speaking), and at least one, if not two, snow-blowers operating.

I landed an F-14 and I also tried an F-18 and couldn't stop either. In addition, I remember being unable to keep a C17 from sliding down a runway that was at an incline, (one of those remote ones I mentioned). Also, I remember that I was barely able to keep a Pavlow Helicopter from rolling after I landed near the Penguins, (that neat little freeware add-on).

But if I understand you, I should be able to stop as easily as I would in any relatively clear airport on dry land, is that what you're saying?

Because if so, then I'm doing something wrong with the settings. I'm going to have to revisit the manual and try again using the FSX settings set to exactly what is shown. Though I thought that I did do that, it's very possible that I didn't when I went there the second or third time I opened Antarctica X. I may have left the settings in my typical positions which are usually set all to full right.(I'm speaking about the "Scenery" settings).

Anyway, if you can confirm that I understood you correctly regarding the ability to stop a plane relative to any other 'non-Antarctica X' airstrip, I'll go back and check all that information and see what I'm doing wrong here.

I appreciate the reply and I'll check on all that tonight and report what I found.

Thanks again!

But if I understand you, I should be able to stop as easily as I would in any relatively clear airport on dry land, is that what you're saying?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Before going into more detail can you check if you activated the scenery after installation using the Aerosoft Launcher as requested by the installer? If not, you will find quite a few files ending on the encrypted *.BLOB format instead of *.BGL in the FSX\Aerosoft\AntarcticaX\Scenery folder, which would explain why the files making the ground "hard" won't have any effect.

Bests,

Sascha

Thank You Sasha!

Yes, you were correct.

It just so happens that I purchased Dangerous Airports 1 yesterday, (or the day before), and when I went through the install procedure, I got to the Launcher operation and I got an alert that I didn't have the latest Launcher in place. So I installed the latest Launcher per the instructions given, and then I went into the "activation" section.

It was there that I noticed that the Antarctica X had a red notice saying that I wasn't activated. I also have Lukla X, Gibralter X, and others but they WERE activated. So, I was surprised to see that Antarctica X wasn't because I thought I had activated it when I installed it over a month ago.

Anyway, long story short, I activated Antarctica X but did not go there to fly until last night. Now it seems that I can stop at will!! So everything is fine!

Thank You for the help!

Rich

Anyway, long story short, I activated Antarctica X but did not go there to fly until last night. Now it seems that I can stop at will!! So everything is fine!

That's good to know, thanks! Have fun flying "Down Under"!

Bests,

Sascha