Lagging/Jerking When trying to Manual Land

RobJaworski

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked before but i can't seem to solve it. As i am approaching the runway on the ILS approach, i go to disengage the Autopilot, Flight Director, and then turn off ELAC 1, SEC1, and FAC1 to try a manual landing. NOTHING WORKS. Even with all those things turned off i try to gain manual control of the aircraft, but it stays unresponsive for about a minute, and then once it does sense input, the nose either dips ALL the way up or ALL the way down.. Any help would be incredible. Thank you.

Rob

Well, I will give you my two cents worth. When I fly the X and switch from A/P this is what I do:

I will have the a/c fully established- APP and A/T on, tracking both the localizer and the g/s, with everything stabilized (flaps full, speed ref +5) then I will manually turn the autothrottle off, ensuring I maintain the same power setting with my throttle.

Then, there are two options you can do. The one I have found as the more stable with the X (yet very abnormal), is to pull full back on your yoke or joystick briefly, just to automatically disengage the autopilot, but, then you will have the infamous nose dive, so you hold about 5 degrees worth of nose up immediately and let the FBW stabilize with about 4-7 degrees pitch up. In other words, right after the autopilot automatically disengages hold nose up on your yoke/joystick enough to register a nose up command, until it stabalizes.

The second option is to manually switch off the A/P 1, but, you will have to be ready for the switch. The only reason I suggest the first way is because you are already commanding a pitch up attitude whereas trying to hit the A/P and rushing to perform the needed commanding motion.

The BIG things about this are as follows:

-FBW does not do well with full commands- you need to lightly and incrementally command what you want from the a/c

-The FBW in the X is not all that evil, as some here have said it is- it is completely managable with practice, what you should always think is small corrections

-There is never any need to disable the FBW, just practice with it, and try, if you want, what I described, it works beautifully if you get the timing just right, but it takes practice

-Autoland is always an option on an ILS (don't worry, you're not alone, I always like to take over before mins, if not just for the currency and something to do, in sim and irl lol)

Hope this helps in any way. Give it a shot a few times, if anything.