Simwings Canary Islands X

Movieman162

Good Evening Gents,

A while ago I renember reading that parts of the Canary Islands X series of airports were scheduled for release Q4/2011 Q1/2012 and this time has passed without any news. I have looked on the simwings forum however it does not give any clues and I doubt a post would get a fast response. So I have returned here to ask the status of this project?

Very eager for this since UK2000 EGNX and the PMDG737NGX has been released.

Indeed very little news from Simwings lately, the company appears to be dead.

Also notice that almost a year ago someone on their forums informed about LFML Marseille for FSX. They said it was in development. Now it's a year further and no news at all. I'd say an airport like Marseille should be able to be built within a year, but appearantly not.

Maybe the reason behind this is Thorsten. If I remember right he used to work for Simwings in the past, but he now works for FSDG. If Thorsten really left Simwings, I can understand they're dead. But that's all speculation, I don't know that for sure. But if it's true, maybe FSDG can pick up the projects that Simwings left behind.

Maybe the reason behind this is Thorsten

There are more than one Thorsten around. ;)

I guess you mean Thorsten Loth, the creator of Sim-Wings, not Thorsten Reichert who runs FSDG now.

The last scenery Thorsten and Manfred (Sim-Wings) have released was Anchorage for FS9 four months ago and they are believed to be working on Fairbanks.

As for Canary Islands - I too would love to have a new version.

My visit to Tenerife 5 years ago was one of my most exciting trips.

The Teide National Park is out of this world...

Ah, that explains it. I didn't know there were two Thorstens out there.

It also explains why I haven't heard from Simwings lately. They're making American sceneries and since I only fly in Europe I don't pay attention to what happens in America. So personally I'd give more priority to the Canary Islands and Marseille than to Fairbanks. but the decision is up to them of course.

I think I would also give small priority to at least one canary islands scenery just to say as a way of showing commitment to the project.

Any word from an aerosoft official on this?

I think I would also give small priority to at least one canary islands scenery just to say as a way of showing commitment to the project. Any word from an aerosoft official on this?

As they are the actual developers we can only tell you what they tell us!

If they haven't mentioned it on there site then they may have nothing to report as yet.

As they are the actual developers we can only tell you what they tell us!

If they haven't mentioned it on there site then they may have nothing to report as yet.

Ok thanks Shaun.

• Developer

Canary islands are "under development", actually Manfred is working on La Palma island/airport.

Marseille has been developed for a LevelD sim as I mentioned earlier and now has to be ported to FSX, but we skipped that

for a while. I first had to make Fairbanks which will be a perfect addition to Anchorage and I did not want to change to Europe for one project and than back to Alaska. Here´s the roadmap for our next releases in unspecified order:

Fairbanks, AK

La Palma (first part of Canary X)

Malaga

El Hierro (Canary X)

Tenerife Sur y Norte (Canary X)

... rest of Canaries

New Heathrow version

Update for Mallorca (new Terminal)

Marseille

You see there´s a lot to do so sim-wings is definetly not dead. Don´t know why such rumours are posted. Since ten years we are constantly working on our add ons and releasing 2 to 4 Addons a year. Sure it´s often not the airport you personally expected, but development times are about 6 to 12 month, as we prefere to deliver quality instead of quantity.

Also we have our own forum you can use for specific requests.

Thorsten Loth sim-wings

Thank you very much for your update, Thorsten! emoticon-0139-bow.gif

I am looking forward to absolutely all of your projects.

One additional question: will they be for FS9 too?

I am exceptionally interested in the Canary Islands.

I'm glad to hear Simwings is still alive and there are some nice projects coming up. Altough personally I'd place them in another order, but that's a detail.

Anyway, I can't wait for anything that comes after Fairbanks.

Canary islands are "under development", actually Manfred is working on La Palma island/airport.

Marseille has been developed for a LevelD sim as I mentioned earlier and now has to be ported to FSX, but we skipped that

for a while.....

Thorsten,

please remember, that there is a french Designergroup called VFRFrance, which makes photosceneries of France. At the moment they are realising PACA (Provence, Cote d'azur) in 1m resolution. The first previews look phantastic, so please make your new Marseille FSX airport compatible to that product. Unfortunatly the last versions in FS9 were not compatible to each other.

Bernhard

• Developer

Hi Bernhard,

when will that Provence/Cote Azur Scenery be available?

The first version of Marseille was not compatible because those VFR sceneries for that area were released

AFTER our Marseille airport and they didn´t care about compatibility to the airport.

I´ll try my best with the new one.

Th.

Thorsten,

release dates are not announced yet. They showed lots of preview-shots of PACA 1 which covers the eastern parts of the Côte d'Azur.

The western part (PACA 2), which will include Marseille is also shown in first pictures. Maybe it takes about 3 months, til it is finished. But that's my pure guess.

The problem with the first version was, that your Marseille airport was made for the standard FS-altitude of Marseille, which MS defines in a wrong way too high. The photo scenery of VFRFrance layed Marseille in the real altitude, so your AFCAD and FVRFrance-mesh were not real compatible to eath other.

But coz VFRFrance is also developping their own Marseille-airport, unfortunatly I don't think that you will get any help from them :-(. That's a shame, espiacely coz their recent airports, like Basle-Mulhouse and Strasbourg are of a very low standard and in no way comparible to SimWings-products. But on the other end their photosceneries are first class and their recently released Rhone-Alpes phototextures and mesh are a dream.

Bernhard

• Developer

Bernhard,

thanks for the informations. Guess I´ll wait to continue with LFML until the photoscenery is released. On the other hand, if they work with geographical referenced aerials and placements it should be possible to develope the airport independently.

Didn´t know they are planning their own Marseille Airport Scenery, but , as you wrote, not something that really could cause us to cancel our own Marseille scenery.

Thorsten

• 2 months later...

Guess I´ll wait to continue with LFML until the photoscenery is released.

Thorsten,

the photoscenery of VFRFrance design group for the western part of the côte d'azur is now availible. It's called PACA Vol. 2 and includes the scenery around the city of Marseille and its airport.

It looks very good and is made with 1m resolution. But they defined the airport altitude to 9.85 feet with their mesh and their AFCAD. And this is against the altitude of MS-standard altitude of LFML which is 74 feet. But 9.85 feet seems to be the real-world altitude of LFML!

So I hope, that SimWings will now finish their MarseilleFSX :bow_down2_s: .

Bernhard